UK 550 Spyder: which one?

Vendor Advisories, Kudos, recommendations, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

UK 550 Spyder: which one?

Postby Le Samourai » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 am

Hi,

I'm currently weighing up my options in regards to the purchase of a 550 spyder replica (early next year) that hopefully I'll be building myself..

My questions are-

A) who makes 550 kits in the UK? I'm only aware of Martin and Walker, are there any others?

B) which replica has he closest body shape to an original 550?

Any help would be appriciated.

Cheers

Dan.
Le Samourai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: UK 550 Spyder: which one?

Postby John Jennings » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:21 am

M&W are the only manufacturer in the UK as far as I'm aware although there are a couple of importers for Chamonix who will sell you a turnkey car with very basic spec for around £28K

I think the Chamonix is slightly closer to the original shape than the M&W although both have been stretched to make the body fit the VW running gear. The Chamonix has the advantage of having a couple of suppliers working on 'corrected' rear decklids which are very inaccurate on virtually all the GRP replicas.

If you want a really accurate car and have the cash Russ Rodriguez at Fibersteel is making a continuation of the CMI cars in GRP with corrected rear deck. The cars are dimensionally correct ie slightly smaller than the usual replicas and the fittings are very close reproductions of the originals. The cars are reasonably priced considering they are so accurate.
John Jennings
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Le Samourai » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Interesting, and dissapointing regarding M&W. An accurate as possible starting point is a high priority for me. That said importing a kit from the US isn't financially viable either. Seems I have a choice of one then! Beck seems to have a UK agent but i have no idea if it's actually operational? Or if they even
sell kits? Thanks for the response.

EDIT: when you say the deck lids
are wrong, what exactly is it thats wrong wrong with them?
Le Samourai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Richard Lamin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 am

Hi Dan

I understand what you're saying about the differences. I was of the same mind when when I first bought my kit, but got over it and now just love the car for what it is. The lower, slimmer rear wings on the original cars do look better though.

Here's a pic of my M&W 550 next to an original 550A (the 550A was a later model with the carb doors, headrests and lower rear vents.). It's not quite comparing like for like (a few of the original 550's had slightly different shape rear wings anyway), but you can see the obvious differences here.
Attachments
550A Hedingham.jpg
Anything else is just transport .....
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby &1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:59 am

Le Samourai wrote:An accurate as possible starting point is a high priority for me

And why is that? It will be a (fiberglass) imitation anyway: a connaisseur/enthusiast will immediately see/notice that it's a replica(r) and a layman and the general public will not notice/see the differences between an original and replica(r) anyway (and will probably asume anyway that it's not an original)...
&1

Postby coaster550 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:11 am

Hi Dan,

If you are looking for a car with extensive aluminium work done to achieve the "is it or isnt it" let me know........my M&W is currently for sale 80% finished

Chris
coaster550

Postby Le Samourai » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:01 am

coaster550 wrote:Hi Dan,

If you are looking for a car with extensive aluminium work done to achieve the "is it or isnt it" let me know........my M&W is currently for sale 80% finished

Chris

Hey thanks for he offer, I'm not in a position to make a purchase until next year sadly. Thanks anyway.

Richard Lamin wrote:Hi Dan

I understand what you're saying about the differences. I was of the same mind when when I first bought my kit, but got over it and now just love the car for what it is. The lower, slimmer rear wings on the original cars do look better though.

Here's a pic of my M&W 550 next to an original 550A (the 550A was a later model with the carb doors, headrests and lower rear vents.). It's not quite comparing like for like (a few of the original 550's had slightly different shape rear wings anyway), but you can see the obvious differences here.

Your right it almost certainly something I'll get over, given the lack of choice in the UK ill have to! Nice car btw.

&1 wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:An accurate as possible starting point is a high priority for me

And why is that? It will be a (fiberglass) imitation anyway: a connaisseur/enthusiast will immediately see/notice that it's a replica(r) and a layman and the general public will not notice/see the differences between an original and replica(r) anyway (and will probably asume anyway that it's not an original)...

I'm not trying to fool anyone, it's just I like to do things properly, I speak as a perfectionist. I don't want to buy kit 'A' only to find I could have bought a more accurate kit 'B' its just a question of spending my money in the right place.
Le Samourai
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby cam550 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 am

&1, you are correct as far as others already knowing that our cars are replicas or not noticing the differences. My problem was that I noticed it, every time, and from every angle! It is a rear-ended car that was fixed up by someone who did not know how to fix the car or did not care that it still looked like it was rear-ended. The back of the car is pushed up and into the firewall, deforming the rear wheel arches and causing the rear fenders to look more like a Cobra than the Spyder. It is the attention to details like this that some of us are afflicted with, which causes us to not enjoy things unless they are as close to perfect as possible (whatever that means) in our own eyes.

For me it is not hard to see the problem in the image below. To others, all these cars might look alike (the one in the middle is a replica). If you don't see the difference loud and clear you will live a happier, healthier life. :)

side 4 by Cameron L., on Flickr

By the way, speaking of attention to detail, your car looks AMAZING! it is the best looking 356 I have ever seen, original, original-looking, or not. I am a huge fan. Absolutely beautiful. =D>

Cam
cam550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby bathspyder » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:20 am

I am also putting my M&W on the market, but no rush to sell.

Ron
bathspyder

Postby RobinT » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 am

HI Dan

Im based in Northern Ireland and will be selling 550 kits towards the end of this year. I've bought the jigs and moulds for the Sammio 550 and now currently developing the bodywork and the chassis to a higher standard and progressing towards a demo model. It will be in GRP - not aluminium.

PM me if you have any interest.
RobinT
Starting Member
Starting Member

Return to Vendor Discussions