Broken Record... Vintage Spyders

Vendor Advisories, Kudos, recommendations, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Broken Record... Vintage Spyders

Postby RS-60 mark » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Devin wrote:The flip side of this good news is that he can not send out the parts I need to get this thing rolling (ie trailing arms, brakes, spindles) until the new year.

Devin --
There are two red flags here:
1. If he had even the slightest motivation to ever send the trailing arms, brakes, and spindles he would have certainly been able to do it any time between now and the months ago when you paid for them. If he did happen to be out of stock months ago when you paid for them, the lead time for this stuff is measured in days, not months.
2. He "can not send out the parts . . . . until the new year". I don't know what you think "until the new year" means when Greg says it. But I'll give Greg a chance to make me a liar: You still won't have all those parts when April Fool's Day rolls around.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby JayNiz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Greenberg wrote: I assure you Jay, I am far from passive. !

I hear ya Mark but I was actually responding to RS-60 Mark. I completely agree with you however. I also was responsible for leading customer service and technical support in a different industry but it's all the same. When I read these posts and hear of the masturbatory treatment, it makes my hid spin. Think about it, Vintage offers a product that customers want and are willing to take a risk to get. Just think of the overall increase in production and revenues that Vintage could have if they were known for their top-notch and quality customer service. I have no idea of the lost opportunity costs based on current perception but I would imagine that it's easily greater than 30%.

So Devin, I hope that you get some traction from this thread and it serves as a guide for others in the future. Maybe someone has a generic statement of work or contract template they can share and attach to this thread. I think that would be useful for others especially if you don't know what to look for until it's too late. And seriously, what is the dollar amount and what form of payment did you use? I'm not looking to poke holes in your approach but just illustrate acceptable ways to pay and what to avoid. Many vendors are not using PayPal or credit cards because of the fees. I would encourage these forms and to absorb the fee for piece of mind. PayPal uses an escrow system for higher dollar amounts. They don't release the payment to the seller until the good or service is received by the buyer. I'd also push to use a credit card so that the fraud department of the credit card company can deal with the dead beat vendor should the need arise. However, the vendor will have their account terminated with repeat issues so it may be a legitimate excuse that Vintage Spyders cannot process credit cards.

Richard - You mentioned having to deal with contractors frequently. Do you have a sample contract that you are willing to share with the group?
JayNiz
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RicardoSwe » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 pm

The contract with Vintage was pretty simple, with payment terms written into the "invoice" Greg uses to quote a car.

Greg had the frame and a fiberglass shell. I purchased these, along with painting, basic mechanicals (brakes, gear shift, hand brake, etc.). I supplied the transaxle and a few items. Greg delivered the roller. I assembled the engine, etc. Later I'll put info on my assembly experiences in another summary posting. It has been fun!

The progress payments that I asked to be written in the contract were --
* 20% down payment (to start work to make a roller.) [1st visit to Stanton.]
* 30% payment after painting completed
* 35% upon mechanical completion [2nd visit to Stanton.]
* 15% payment upon delivery. I ended up paying this as 10% upon shipping from Stanton [3rd visit to Stanton], retaining 5% for my confirmation of full delivery with all miscellaneous parts. I ended up paying this out a bit at a time, as parts arrived. Eventually I stopped asking for the last few items and used the remainder of the money to buy these parts elsewhere. The biggest hangup was getting the exhaust system. Greg had it; I had seen it at the shop, but it took a bit to actually receive delivery. (My brother-in-law picked it up for me at the shop. This stopped the "it's ready to ship" discussions.)

Greg was agreeable to this progress payment arrangement. As I said, this was all done amicably and I am happy with the resulting car.
Richard --
RicardoSwe
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Devin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:04 am

Just an update.
I recieved a call about 830 CST from Greg on the 18th. He told me to check my email. So i did and he sent me a picture of a box of parts with my name and address on it. Im not sure what thisbwas suppose to prove concidering he hadnt sent it out. It was simply a picture. The rest of the week I fought for him to ship it out and nothing. So what was the point of the picture right? Late friday night, about 930 CST I recieve another call from Greg saying that one of his guys got the package out... But heres the kicker, no tracking number. But Greg promises he will get it out to me on Saturday. Today is monday and still nothing. I told myself I wasnt going to be lied to again so I went down to the police station and filed my report this morning and gave them all the documents I have recieved throughout this ordeal. As well as my wire transfers and visa statement. And I tell you, It felt so good I wish I had done it months ago. So I recommend anyone else who has outstanding parts or service issuses with Greg from Vintage to file your reports, strength in numbers! Merry Christmas!
Devin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby VintageGreg » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:55 pm

1Z32410W6862098252

MAYBE YOU MISUNDERSTOOD WHAT I SAID ON FRIDAY!!!!!
VintageGreg

Broken Record... Vintage Spyders

Postby gixxerblade » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:56 am

Weird how that works, huh?
gixxerblade

Postby Devin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:32 am

UPDATE:

I recieved a package on the 3rd! Got my trailing arms, wiring harness (no diagram), original 550 handbreak and spindles.Funny part is is that he showwed me a picture of the box he was sending with my Gauges, handbreak, seatbelts, wiring harness and tail light gaskets, But this different package showed up instead. Not sure what the hell is going on in that shop but I imagine it will be the demise of Greg Leach's business. I can only hope. Once all my parts arrive of course ;)
Devin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Devin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Update:

I went down to LA and visited Gregs Shop to pick up my parts and Im happy to say that I now have about 95% of my parts, The other 5% were out of stock when I was there. Greg has been much better to work with and built parts on the spot for me when I was at his shop. He also has been much easier to get a hold of. I hope this is the future for Vintage Spyders and their customers. Also to add that Greg has made it very easy for exchanging parts that Im not happy with or no longer need.
Devin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Tony46 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:12 pm

I have been dealing with Greg for a few weeks now...at first, anticipating ordering a Vintage...and finally committing to the order a few days ago. I can tell you that Greg has been fantastic to deal with. Emails and phone calls have been returned immediately, and he has been very patient with my questions and concerns about delivery to the great white north. I am extremely happy with the service he has provided so far, eliminating any prior concern I may have had before speaking to him. We're really looking forward to this build! \:D/ \:D/
Tony46
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby SpyderMike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Caveat emptor....a bit of advise - don't let payments get ahead of the work. This is good solid advise for any such build.
l my b
SpyderMike
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby RS-60 mark » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 am

Tony46 wrote:I can tell you that Greg has been fantastic to deal with. \:D/ \:D/

Tony -- I'm sure everything will be just wonderful for you and you will get exactly what you were told.

By the way, have you ever considered the advantages of owning Florida real estate? I just happen to have something you . . . .

:D :D :D
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Tony46 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Florida sounds very tempting Mark...but I have a dreadful fear of alligators. Besides, all of my disposable income is going to be tied up in a 550 project. [-X
Tony46
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Greenberg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Don't pay attention to RSMark........he steals kids balloons!
Ya gotta drive it like ya stole it!
Greenberg
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:22 pm

:D :D :D
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Devin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:54 pm

I just want to update that Greg from Vintage still hasnt sent me all the parts and hasnt answered his phone. EVERYONE THINKING OF PURCHASING A SPYDER STAY AWAY FROM VINTAGE SPYDERS. Greg doesnt deserve anyones business.
Devin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Vendor Discussions