Hello from TX. - newbie question about Spyders, Inc. UK

Vendor Advisories, Kudos, recommendations, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Hello from TX. - newbie question about Spyders, Inc. UK

Postby DougS » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:05 am

Hello group,

Ran across the SpyderClub website and just registered. Tons of good information!! I'm researching purchase of a 718-RSK and ran across this website http://www.718-rsk.co.uk/
Does anyone have any dealings with them? Looks like a good product at a fair price. I talked to the owner this morning and he answered all questions, and sent along additional information. Seems it's cheaper to crate and ship to Port of Houston than trucking a kit from Ca. to Tx. So thanks for opinions, would like to hear from you.

Doug
DougS
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Hello from TX. - newbie question about Spyders, Inc. UK

Postby danstern » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Welcome. I think you'll continue to find the site a great resource.

That kit seems to use a VW pan (shortened by you) and keeps the VW rear engine setup. Most of our cars use a tube frame (like the original) and a mid-engine (like the original). Just depends on what you want. If you check photos of originals I think you'll see significant differences. Again, it depends on what you want. The VW pan, rear engine kits/cars tend to be much less expensive (and generally less desirable).
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DougS » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks Dan.....good catch. That's why I joined the website. I'll have to think about this. If this is not a viable company, do you have any suggestions. Most US based companies have been completely unresponsive (or the only only one left that I can find).

Thanks!!
DougS
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby RS-60 mark » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi Doug --- If you are looking for a 718 fiberglass replica that is a "close replica" then you are up the creek. The only replica I've seen that is close is Paul Foreman's creation, in aluminum. (Search for him on this forum and review some terrific picutres).

The fiberglass "RSK" originated in England by GP Spyders several decades ago as a kit-car based on a rear-engined VW pan. The fiberglass shell had the visual cues of the 718, but was not a recreation. All of the fiberglass shells I have seen are fathered one-way-or-another from the GP Spyder moulds. In the USA a company in
California (ThunderRanch) adapted the GP Spyders shell to fit thier 550 Spyder frame. This resulted in a mid-engined layout (as opposed to the rear-engined VW bug chassis), but the 550 ladder frame chassis doesn't have anything in common with the 718 space frame. Still, that is as close as anyone has come to commercially producing anything with a mid-engined layout with the"look" of a 718. IMy guess is Thurnder Ranch only made a handful of their "RSK". Eventually, Thunder Ranch sold-out to Carera Coachworks a couple of years ago and I haven't seen Carera promoting the 718, and they may not have made any. Bottom line: I've never seen a commercially available fiberglass 718 replica that is anything near as close to the real thing as other popular replicas (like the 550s and some of the Cobras).

So, if you want the 718 look (and I don't blame you) then you are stuck with a lot of compromises (one of them being they are very hard to come by in the first place). Or, get ahold of Paul Foreman and get REALLY close to the real thing for a hell-of-a-lot less thanr $3,000,000.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:28 pm

I'll give this thread a bump. Unfortunately, I really don't know who is selling the good RSK kits. I suspect some of the other folks know.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Todd » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm leaning towards buy from Spyders Inc of the UK for the RSK. I would like any opinions on doing business with this company. I think I will be ordering in June of 2014. Thanks Todd
Todd
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby SpeedwaySpyder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Rock West Racing now owns "Thunder Ranch". They are offering the "RSK" on thier website. www.facebook.com/rockwestracing
SpeedwaySpyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Todd » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 am

I spoke with Rock West a few months ago and they haven't started production of the RSK. I would prefer to deal with a states side company, but I don't have any pricing so that I can get a budget together. I will say that I did get a return phone call from my email and our conversation was pleasant. I will email Rock West before I make the final decision because I like to support jobs in the USA even if it costs a little more. Todd
Todd
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 am

I think once you factor in the shipping charges from the UK to the states, Rock West will be less expensive
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Return to Vendor Discussions