Need some advice from 550 owner's...I think Im ready

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Need some advice from 550 owner's...I think Im ready

Postby RBP » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 am

That sounds like yours would be strong enough for that. Mine isn't the same, I have a 914 steering setup so the steering box is in the centre of the car and there are u joints that go from the steering wheel position at the rear dash to the centre position in the firewall. I think they did that so cars could be easily configured for left or right hand drive. I think my steering wheel is just held by the bolts, will have to double check.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 am

I don't know if the hoop was ever added to the newer Becks, but mine doesn't have one and the way the steering column goes through the fiberglass has always bothered me a little. I think the new Becks steering columns have a steel plate welded to the column sleeve and the plate sits flush with the back of the dash and get bolted to the dash with 2 carriage bolts.

If I were racing one of these cars I would definitely want the hoop up front and one in back too and a good roll cage.
Ed
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Hey guys,

Been looking at this Beck, does anyone know this car or have any input good or bad.

I would have to buy it sight unseen, and enclosed shipping is only $550 to my door.

It has a few cosmetic issues, but the dealer states excellent driver with no mechanical issues at all.

The price is right in my budget, but is this one priced right?

Thanks for any remarks.

Randy

Here's the ebay link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Porsche-SP ... O3&vxp=mtr
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:29 pm

It seems a bit overpriced to me, the seats and steering wheel are not accurate, and it does not have wide 5 wheels.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:19 am

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see what size of engine and who built it.
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:31 am

You would never be able to put one together for that. I believe a "deluxe package of parts" (no engine, trans, suspension, brakes etc.) is close to 20K alone. Likely you would have to spend another 20 in parts (assuming you want a nice engine & trans) then body work and paint (anywhere from 3K to 20K depending on how nice) then add countless hours of your time! It says it only has 5,000 miles on it, so it should be pretty good mechanically, don't like the turn signal lights at all and the tach looks odd, the other 2 gauges are commonly used in 550 builds.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:40 am

Absolutely correct...this is a reasonable price ! The Special Edition ID plate does not give build date... I would call the guys at Special Edition...they may be able to identify the car and engine size etc...

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks guys,

I'll give them a buzz tomorrow and see if I can get some more information. Thats whats great about this forum for us "newbs"...I would have never seen those items y'all pointed out.

Randy
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Randy, I guess it depends on what you are really looking for. The eBay posting is not an auction, it's a classified. While it's true you could never build or buy a new 550 replica for that price, I think 20-22k is more in line with the value of the car. If you really want the car I would definitely throw out an offer at least 5k lower than what he is asking, and at least see if they come back with a counter offer.

Some people buy these cars and are just able to enjoy them as they are, but others start feeling compelled to add all of the little details to make their cars look more original. I'm not trying to rip on the car or say it's bad or that you should not buy it, I'm just pointing the things that would bother me. The things that stand out that I don't like are the two tone dune buggy style seats rather than the more correct looking ones with the two ovals in the backs, and the 4 bolt wheels. I bought a car with 4 bolt wheels like this car because I thought it wouldn't bother me, but I ended up shelling out a good chunk of cash to convert them to wide fives :D . My car also originally had a molded in front oil cooler grill like this car, so I bought an aluminum one that just screwed on over the top of the molded one.

Keep in mind though these issues are not going to be issues to 99.99% of the people that will see your car on the road or even car shows. Overall the car linked to looks nice, it sits at a good height, and the door and panel fitment look good too. I'm just trying to point out the issues that I see.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:57 am

Several virtually identical cars have sold in the $ 27-29K range in the last 6-7 months on BAT and auctions :)

Low-balling is pointless unless the current owner is wealthy and doesn't care about price...

You need to see the car in person and then decide what it is worth to you!

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks guys, they will sell it for $22,900.....seems pretty good then add another $550 to ship.

I would love to see it in person but can't hop down to Colorado right now.

Even thought the price is very much in line I'm going to wait a few days and see what happens or what comes up on other for sale sights.

Thanks for pointing out the issues, it certainly adds to my education of these cars.

Best,
Randy
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Think about the details. They're personal. but expensive to change. Wide 5 wheels, this car has satisfied various people without them, are they ok for you? Same with lots of little stuff. Did you find out about the engine and transmission? No matter what you get you're going to have a blast !!
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:02 pm

That price seems pretty reasonable to me, and the shipping sounds good too if it's a covered trailer.

One other thing to think about is that if you can wait a few months these cars are like motorcycles when it comes to availability. In the fall you will likely see more cars for sale, because some people will not want to put them back into storage after the summer driving season. Then on the other end, some people will hang onto them and put them up for sale in the spring with the assumption that the market will be a little hotter.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Non-Technical