Glass Windshield or Plexiglass Windscreen?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Glass Windshield or Plexiglass Windscreen?

Postby DanB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Folks, I'm working up a Spyder build and would like your feedback on the topic of Glass Windshield vs Plexiglass Windscreen.

My only hesitation with the Windshield is does the frame block your visibility? I'm 6' 1" and have some concern that the upper frame might land right in my field of vision. Wondering if others have had this issue?

Seems many people prefer the higher Glass Windshield vs the Lower Windscreen to keep the wind, bugs, and debris from hitting you in the face. Wearing goggles every time I drive doesn't sound like much fun and is a deterrent for passengers. Does anybody know the typical height of the Windshield vs Windscreen?

Regarding the overall look. I actually prefer the look of the 356 glass windshield on the Spyder. Granted all the original race cars used windscreens, I've grown so used to seeing replica cars with Windshields they seem more natural to me. I'm sure others may prefer the more original race ready look of the Windscreen.

Let me know your thoughts.
DanB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Glass Windshield or Plexiglass Windscreen?

Postby RVosari » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:44 am

Dan,

I am about 1/2 " taller than you and my sight line is not disturbed in any way by the standard Beck windshield. The top of the windshield surround is about 9 inches from the instrument panel center line...

The full windshield glass has some serious optical distortion and at night you tend to look over and around the glass...

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:26 am

The full safety glass windshield is more comfortable and safer. I see no distortion in my glass and always look through it. You might consider bolting the driver's seat directly to the floor at a position and angle that is comfortable for you, The flip side of all that is the solo plexiglass screen is prettier.
PS Many of the originals came with full glass windshields.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 pm

I run with the plexi. I much prefer the look of the plexi over the big chrome trim windshield. As Dan noted, my seats are bolted directly to the floor with minimal padding so that I'm sitting as low in the car as possible. I'm 6' and have no issue with bugs and or any other items and have never needed googles or anything else. I've had the windshield and changed it out for the plexi. There is no difference in comfort unless you prefer to run with the top on.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Beck's typically use FANARVID Brazilian glass 25% solarized and 75 % light emissive...so not the best at least compared to modern Euro glass in terms of light pass-through and distortion...no idea what the other manufacturers use for glass.

Beck's also have gorgeous polished aluminum windshield frames, not chrome !

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 am

The new windshield I got from Greg is clear. I'll check the brand.

Windshield frame is polished aluminum. Who has chrome??
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby gixxerblade » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 pm

I have polished aluminium. :D
gixxerblade

Return to Non-Technical