New to forum, Looking for advice/opinions on Beck #127

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

New to forum, Looking for advice/opinions on Beck #127

Postby Rogie » Thu May 03, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello
I'm considering a Beck 550 Spyder that is listed for sale on various websites. The car is Beck #127 and is listed for sale by Beverly Hills Motor Cars in San Diego. I'm wondering if there is anyone here that is familiar with this car. Perhaps a previous owner or someone in the San Diego area that has seen the car at events or at this dealership. I have spoken with the dealer and he has provided some information and additional photos and they seems to be consistent with the listing information.
I'm new to Becks and I'm trying to educate myself a little before jumping in. I currently own a '79 911sc Targa and a 2009 997-2 C4S but have always wanted to add a 550 Spyder to the stable. I'm in the Inland Northwest and its a bit of a distance to southern California and I would like to be sure the car is worth while before making the trip.
Can anyone offer some input on this car and perhaps some thoughts on the seller? The dealer has told me that they built the engine that is currently installed along with a list of other restoration items that were completed in house. The photos all look very nice but I have flown across the country in the past to buy cars only to find mismatched paint and poor quality repairs that cause me to walk away.
I'm not looking to publicly disparage anyone so if there is negative information I would ask that you p.m. me instead of responding to this post.
I appreciate any thoughts and wisdom the members here might be willing to share.
I'm looking forward to participating in the conversation.
Thanks
Rogie
Rogie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: New to forum, Looking for advice/opinions on Beck #127

Postby TSchommer » Fri May 04, 2018 7:03 am

It might help to post a direct link or some. I think I found their site, but they have about 10 Spyders and I can’t find any references to chassis numbers in the descriptions.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Rogie » Fri May 04, 2018 8:16 am

Here’s a link to the car in question
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... 50546.html

Thank you.
Rogie
Rogie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Larry Jowdy » Fri May 04, 2018 11:09 am

First off I think 40k is a bit pricy for that car especially since it's quite old (probably 25 to 30 years old) Second the engine is small. It has a stock stroke crank shaft and an upgrade from 85.5 mm pistons to 94mm
Most of the power from a VW engine is from a stroked crankshaft. Next, I'd find out how it's registered. If it's registered as anything other than a special construction then if you get caught it's a felony charge. I'd also find out if it has a SB 100 exemption from SMOG. Once you find out these things including the year it was built then you can proceed to either buy the car or pass.

Personally, if it were me doing the contemplation, I'd go for this car viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16911 and deal with DMV to get the SB100 exemption. Probably cost about $1,200 to have it shipped to Calif.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby egrant5329 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:26 am

I would want to know the gearing in the transaxle because if it is a stock swing axle you'll not like how many RPMs you are turning just to maintain posted highway speeds. Mine is Beck #75 from 1986 and the stock transaxle eventually was replaced with a freeway flyer. The 1915 is a nice driving engine. Also I find out how many miles on the engine. It looks nice and clean, but you won't know how you like it until you drive it.

A couple of years ago I'd have suggested that it is probably $12,000 over priced, but it seems like the last few I have seen for sale are in the mid $30K range, although I don't know what they actually sold for.
But hey, if that's what they are going for these days, I need to increase my insurance value. ;)
I'll be curious to see what others say.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Fri May 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Larry is right, if that Vintage is still available I'd go with that. Great value there.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Rogie » Fri May 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Thank you for the thoughts so far.
I live in Idaho so the Smog is not my greatest concern. Half the pickups here in town are running red dye diesel in chipped Powerstrokes. Not exactly street legal. Although I can see it being an issue on resale. I felt the price was High as well but the appearance is in line with my tastes. If I made an offer it would not be for the ask price. I have real concerns about the engine build so I appreciate you offering an opinion there. I'll try to get some answers to the registration and transaxle issues that were raised.
I appreciate any additional info.
Thank You again
Rogie
Rogie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby RVosari » Sat May 05, 2018 7:03 am

While condition, insurance, registration etc. are all considerations, you need to actually sit-in and drive a Beck, TR or Vintage.

These are small cars with few creature comforts…if you don’t fit in it, or do not like driving it, you will not be a long term owner !

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Mon May 07, 2018 7:42 pm

I'll publicly say this and if you want elaboration, pm me. Beverly Hills Motorcars has a reputation. I went there once with a buddy and was extremely disappointed but the cars vs. descriptions. At that price point there are lots of Spyders around.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Rogie » Tue May 08, 2018 10:14 am

got it.
thanks everybody.
Rogie
Rogie