Finally did The Dragon

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Finally did The Dragon

Postby DannyP » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am

This past weekend, my girlfriend and I went down to the Smokies. We did the Rattler on Thursday. Then the Tail of The Dragon on Friday. Cherohala and Blue ridge Parkway on Saturday(plus Carlos' Deliverance Loop).

AT one point in the weekend, we had 3 Spyders nose to tail. A Seduction(Carlos), a Vintage(mine) and a Beck(Suby powered Ron Mullis). There were also 3 Speedsters(2 IM, 1 JPS)
Man, are we tired! But what a trip. We flat-towed the Spyder down 775 miles in deluge-sometimes conditions. We took two days to do it each way.

I remember Ed Black constantly talking about the Dragon. What fun! All of it was. Did about 2000 miles of driving in a week!

Spyders are made for those roads, 2nd and 3rd gear sharp corners, switchbacks, rolling sweepers.

What a hoot!
Last edited by DannyP on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Finally did The Dragon

Postby EEricson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Good on ya, Danny. Wish me and the MG could've been there.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:35 am

Sounds great Danny. Can you show any pic's of your Flat Tow rig? With some pi's of how it connects to your Spyder?

Thanks,

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 am

I combined two bars to make one. A Super Beetle bar is narrower, which happens to make it the right width to fit between the frame rails on a vintage. The Beck cars would require two inches total narrower than that, due to 3" chassis tubing as opposed to 2". The Super Beetle bar is the front section that attaches to the tow vehicle.

The rear of the bar is the conventional Beetle ends that hook onto the bottom of the front beam, plus an extra 1.5" lower to clear the bodywork. Bar is also lengthened for the same reason, to clear the body, which is a little longer than a Beetle.

Gussets were welded to the stacked round sections to strengthen that joint, as well as a couple thin spreader tubes. I paid about 80-100 for each towbar, and then had the bar professionally welded by a guy who does SCCA roll cages. I figured my car was worth it......
Attachments
Towbar 005r.jpg
Towbar 002r.jpg
Last edited by DannyP on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:18 am

Here is how it looks going down the road.

Only go forward, do not attempt to reverse when flat-towing.

Watch ups and downs, when you transition from a downhill to a flat such as a driveway into a road, the bar can touch the bodywork. Gradual grades are OK. Occasionally the towbar will contact the road due to the extremely low ride height, but that's OK, it won't hurt anything.

I have towed this way since 2007, about 5000 miles worth. It works best with my Audi, 300hp and 4700 pounds. It worked with my Subaru, a little better with my Passat.

Leave yourself plenty of stopping room, the extra 1500 pounds necessitates it.
Attachments
towbar.jpg
towbar.jpg (148 KiB) Viewed 216 times
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Carlos G » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Cool. I was also wondering about your tow rig. When I installed my tow points on the front of my car, I had a future tow bar in mind. The clearance is tight. I've bottomed out my tow points a few times driving around here.

It'd be cool if we could temporarily raise the ride height of our cars for towing purposes.
Carlos G
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks Danny,
I've got a Beck so the additional mods would be required. Do you have a brake light /signal light connection?

Thanks,

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:29 am

I use a trailer connector for the rear lights at the clamshell hinge area, down the left frame rail. I disconnect from the car, and I ran an extension from the front beam all the way back. I simply plug into this extension using the car taillights for towing.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical