Creating an Aluminum interior in a 550.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Creating an Aluminum interior in a 550.

Postby EEricson » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:35 am

Oh and re the floor under the bulkhead: Yeah it was thin plywood (Birch, I think) on the opriginals, and covered in ribbed vinyl. The vinyl got replaced in a lot of cars with ribbed black rubber mat like you see in every barber shop.

The floor is hollow underneath to run the accelerator linkage, oil lines and stuff. The top of the wood floor ends up about an inch above the deck. Like this:Image

Here's the real deal, for comparison:
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:38 pm

I did this years ago, it is one of the best projects I have done on the spyder. I did it all with a jigsaw, a set of right, left, and straight tinsnips. A Seamer that was invaluable, an air driven rotary sander, which is the secret to making the edges look good. I also found a piece of scrap al bar about 3"x3"x18", I used to make nice sharp bends. I did the flanges with aluminum bar (.75x.75x 12 or 15 inches) with a 45 degree cut in it, a trick I learned from the homebuilt aircraft websites. I took the floor out (easier than it sounds) and covered the floor with aluminum on a set of saw horses. Glued the AL to the floor with constuction adhesive, turned it over and redrilled all of the holes for pedals seat belts etc.. Then screwed the floor back on the bottom of the car. I got the aluminum at a local sign shop. It took a 4x8 sheet of .032 or .034 and I useed .064 or so for the floor. The 032 4X8 sheet was about 50.oo and the 064 was about 90.oo

The secret is designing one panel with the idea of how it will meet with the next. The details on the firewall came out really well and is made of all flat stock. I hid my cylinder head temp on a panel on the passenger footwell - applied the manufacturer's ID panel. A set of autopulse 500 pumps. And it all looks and works pretty well.

I show this car once a month at Caffeine and Octane in ATL. The show draws about 2500 display cars and about 10,000 visitors so the car gets a lot of exposure. My Beck is almost 20 years old - the leather is getting worn, the paint is getting worn. The car has patina and dirt. I am constantly talking to people who are aware that there are 550 replicas - but many of them kinda sneak up and ask is it real. I am really proud of it and it was a fun project.

I am finally putting wide fives on the car I think I have it figured out, and that I can do it for about 600.00 for rotors and wheels. I will know in a couple of days.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16749&hilit=aluminum+interior (scroll down)
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Bilwil » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:35 pm

Love the aluminum work you have done! Looks great!
Bill Wilson
Las Vegas, NV
Looking for my Spyder
65 Cobra Replica for weekend fun
Ford Raptor for off road fun
Maserati Quattroporte for daily driving
Bilwil
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby EricTheRed » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:31 pm

Thank you!
I will have some news photos to share soon, just finishing up the front passenger wheel well and front bulkhead. Was more of a taks then expected to get it to fit well without to many overseams.
EricTheRed

Postby Mark Reid » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 pm

The PVC cracks me up. I did aluminum interior several years ago and thought I had a patent on that tool :-) Anyway, for some additional ideas on Aluminum...I replaced entire floor, new pedal set/masters, brake circuit etc. Did several bezels around tubing areas, center channels, front bulkhead, inner fender wells, etc. - and stubbornly insisted on finding a way to do a single piece on the rear firewall with a Beck reclining cavity in it (not for the faint of heart or impatient). Ordered a couple of reject Porsche hides to cover Fibersteel seats and trim areas (and a lots of other tweaks). Anyway, I have some of that as well as, a few engine rebuilds, a repaint and a few other improvements over the past 20 years documented in this album. Hopefully, a variety of insights or ideas for others.

Cheers.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsksk68rA
Mark Reid

Postby EEricson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Mark, your aluminum work is first rate. Great job!
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mark Reid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 am

Thank you. It was a project for sure.
Mark Reid

Postby Mark Reid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 am

Ah, forgot about one other thing I decided to do. Given the ease at which aluminum oxidizes from water, sweat dropplets, finger prints, etc., I decided I did not want to be constantly polishing and re-brushing with a ScotchBrite. So, I covered the flooring and all panels with 3M film (you can see the outline of the film on the floor piece on the saw horses. I figured if I didn't like it, then I could just peel it off later. It does provide for a more glossy finish (which may not be for everyone) but I like it and it was a great decision. 10 years from now, it will still look like the day I put it in with zero maintenance. Just a tip. P.S. you can do it after the fact, but it is almost impossible and it will never look good without removing all the rivets, seats, etc. (and trying apply film on your back inside a Spyder without dirt??? I'd rather be waterboarded).
Mark Reid

Postby Atlas » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:35 pm

EricTheRed, I was in Monterey for 4 days and kept seeing your car (across the street from the RM auction and at the Werks Reunion). I was particularly struck by your aluminum interior, so congrats on a job well done. Got inspired and just decided to join your forum to learn more about 550 Spyders and the replicas available.
Atlas
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby EricTheRed » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Yep that was me. Scored rockstar parking all week down there, guess my buddy is my rabbit's foot.

Thank for the kind words, was the first time the car was to shows like that and compliments on the interior humbled me. Everyone was very positive about doing my own thing while still respecting Porsche heritage even at all Porsche events. Was worried going down that I would get the thumbs down with a recreation but it was not the case.
What a great week, so sad car week could not be car year...

Thanks
Eric
EricTheRed

Previous

Return to Non-Technical