Accuracy of appearance?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Accuracy of appearance?

Postby Spydey » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:59 am

Amateur here. How accurate do you consider either Beck or Vintage Spyders? By that, I mean - if you had a Vintage, a Beck and an original Spyder next to each other, would you be able to tell the difference before going up close to look at them? When I look at pictures of the three - the Vintage looks different than the Beck, and they both look different than the original.

For comparison, some of the Cobra replicas look extremely close (ie.Superformance, ERA). Sizes are different, and if you start to scrutinize them, you can tell. But, they’re very close.

With Spyders, they look similar, but not quite replicas.? Maybe it’s just photos. I get that the sizes are different, wheels are smaller(?), racing wind screen, helmet faring, side vents

See below - Pic 1 is an original, Pic 2 is a Beck, Pic 3 is a Vintage. The original is lower in the back than either, without that bubble. Wheel wells are wider on the Vintage. The Beck looks more basic, the Vintage looks slightly fancier.

Thoughts?
Attachments
BA9F67C4-6093-4C00-AD48-687FA50C5ED1.png
BA9F67C4-6093-4C00-AD48-687FA50C5ED1.png (138.85 KiB) Viewed 683 times
E807A336-647E-47D9-A37E-62C111F6D01F.png
E807A336-647E-47D9-A37E-62C111F6D01F.png (90.31 KiB) Viewed 683 times
DBC7635A-97F4-4E4F-8D27-2F77849C5625.png
DBC7635A-97F4-4E4F-8D27-2F77849C5625.png (127.26 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Spydey

Re: Accuracy of appearance?

Postby danstern » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:32 pm

Your photos 2 and 3 are the 'old' rear clam. Both Vintage and Beck make a new, lower, more attractive rear clam.
At Werks Reunion, Monterey this year there were both an original and a Vintage about 30' apart. The Vintage was detailed, the original, preservation class. Everyone thought they were both originals and were gathered around the Vintage because it was so attractive. This is an all Porsche show put on by PCA and attendance was Porsche enthusiasts. I told a few people the truth and they doubted me, so I explained that owning a Vintage I knew the difference. The rear clam is important. Important enough to me to have it changed to the new version and have the whole car repainted at Vintage.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:27 am

Dan is correct. Those are photos of the old clam. Both Beck/SE and Vintage offer a corrected rear clamshell that is much closer to the original shape. This happened some time in the late 2000s.

Note I said closer, they are much better than before but do not quite match the original shape.

Other differences:

Just about all replicas use a 2" longer wheelbase: 85" versus the original 83". The cockpit area is a bit longer to accommodate longer and larger people of today.

The top of the cowl is curved to use the Speedster windshield. Original cars were flat here and not curved.

Most cars have the fuel filler too far away from the edge of the hood near the windshield. Some have fixed this. I'm hoping Vintage comes up with a nice fix for this instead of using the VW tank sender hole for the filler.

All replicas have a slightly larger flat area where the front turn signals mount. This has always bugged me, and is an easy tell of replicas.

There are many other small details that replica owners and builders can see. Of course, once the clam is open the truth is easy to see.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:01 am

Side view from 100 ft:

A real 550 looks like a 550…lumpy body and no decals

Any 550A will be a re-pro since real 550A’s are very rare

A Beck and Vintage differ in how well the front tire/wheel, fit in the wheel well

Differentiating a Beck from a Thunder Ranch requires much closer inspection…

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EricTheRed » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:00 am

The Vintage Porsche at Werks was my car, and the other was actually also a replica built by Russ at Fibersteel. Russ has tried very hard to make his car to replicate a closer version to the original along with creating patina to match. It's a piece of artwork...and a labor of love for that authentic to the max experience.

My Vintage attacks a different thought process, of trying to refine and detail the replica honoring tradition while adding a creative spin from the norm. Much time has gone into a "Period Correct Look" with added and custom details. Things I wanted to change including the awful RV carpet with hand formed, riveted and dimple died interior. This was to give the car a period feel inline with plane's and auto builds of the time, I was not trying to mimic what has been done like Russ is trying to do.

It's was amazing for me at that show how many people thought the cars were original, and hopefully that says something for Russ and I and the time put into each direction. Throughout the weekend when people viewed our cars they had different reactions I noticed. When they viewed Russ's car they were simply astonished on the level of detail and understood this was a one off masterpiece. When they viewed mine it sparked a reality in people that they could build a very authentic car thats more about driving and enjoying along with being obtainable. I spent most of the weekend explaining the cars and the differences between Becks, Vintage, and Fibersteels. It was great to hopefully kick start a fire in people to build or buy one off these recreations!
EricTheRed

Postby RVosari » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:47 am

Here’s a nice early morning photo from a 10 year old up- and-coming shooter…she’s 16 now and still doing nice work

We have the ex-Adriana Lima Spyder and an essentially new build 550. It is all aluminum and steel and as exact as any human could make it…the only thing missing was a 4-cam motor which Jeff Adams could have provided but the funds were not there.

I suppose a grommet-king could look under the brake or clutch pedal and announce “the correct cad-plated lock washer was not used”…but for everyone else it would not be an issue. :D

With the correct motor and ID Plates…no one would know the difference !

And like I said…no decals [8D]

ReV
Attachments
007.JPG
007.JPG (40.97 KiB) Viewed 505 times
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:19 pm

I wish this site supported photos sized and with a resolution that made them viewable.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:32 am

Pretty much any real Spyder is rare. Ninety or so 550s made and about thirty 550a, so.......go to the RSK, RS-60, and RS-61 and the rarity only increases.

A lot of Beck cars are turnkey, as well as Vintage. Level of fit and finish on these are higher. TR sold a lot of kits so the quality of build varies greatly.

Eric, care in building is evident to people who know craftsmanship. I'm sure you do us proud!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Spydey » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:46 am

Good info here, thanks! DannyP said that the change happened in the past decade.? “This happened some time in the late 2000s.” So, if I’d like to get a replica that’s as accurate as possible, it should be from the last 10 years or so.?

I realize that I (and most folks) will never see an original. But, if getting a replica, I’m thinking it should still be as accurate as possible.
Spydey

Postby egrant5329 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:52 am

Go to http://type550.com/history/ and look at the photos of each 550 that was made. There is a lot of difference between them. I definately like the new clam better than the old. I wish the builders would address the wheel clearance issue. I would be great to be able to run a wider, modern size tire, tucked the way the originals were, without rubbing issues.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical