Fuel Tank Options for subaru powered Vintage Spyder?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Fuel Tank Options for subaru powered Vintage Spyder?

Postby MichaelM » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 am

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into replacing my fuel tank. The current stock one is really an eye sore and I was hoping to try maybe get a slightly larger one if possible. I was hoping to get a nice aluminum tank, that I could put some straps over for example. So I had a couple of questions:

1: Are there any options out there for a drop in replacement?
2: Anybody make a custom tank?.... and if so could you please share the info.
3: Is swapping out a tank fairly straight forward?

Thank you!
MichaelM

Re: Fuel Tank Options for subaru powered Vintage Spyder?

Postby RS-60 mark » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:12 am

Maybe contact Fibersteel -- http://www.fibersteel.com
Attachments
Driver side front 3-4 view hood open.jpg
Driver side front 3-4 view hood open.jpg (96.05 KiB) Viewed 402 times
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby sjgharib » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 pm

I used an ATL fuel cell, 13 Gallon. But it's a big mod, definitely not drop in...
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Carlos G » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:26 pm

I also have the dream of a gas tank that looks worthy with more capacity.
I didn't see anything on Fibersteel's site of any other options.
I'm thinking a custom tank would be the only route.
Carlos G
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:24 pm

I made a cover for mine out of an old car hood. Took a little time but it looks the part now.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby MichaelM » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:01 am

I was going to make a cover, but the tolerances between the current tank and the hood are very tight. So wondering if anyone else had experience changing out the actual fuel tank. Cheers!
MichaelM

Postby RS-60 mark » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:13 am

Carlos G wrote: . . . I didn't see anything on Fibersteel's site of any other options.

As I said: "Maybe contact Fibersteel". As in, maybe 'call' them. That fuel tank in the picture above is included in on a number of their 550 creations. If they don't make it themselves they must know where to get it. And, since Fibersteel routinely sourced Vintage for the body/chassis (as in the picture posted above), the tank probably installs somewhat interchangeably with a stock VW tank in a Vintage shell. I'd make a phone call and find out.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:31 am

And, everybody's best friends at Special Editions have also 'been there before'. So the authentic tank is out there, this one from Special Editions: https://www.speedsterowners.com/topic/s ... ers?page=6 Scroll through the link's whole page, and the following two pages for many 'looks' of fuel tank (and comparison to original 550 tank).
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Mark I think that tank is from CMI or someone the PO of that CMI contracted, and Carey & Co just made it right for Anand—at great expense in time and treasure, I'm sure.

As Michael noticed, the tolerances between the VW tank and the hood are pretty close, meaning the cover has to be eased in with a hammer and patience. Anyone can do this; I spent only about $60 and 70 hours as detailed starting here:
https://alongcameaspyder.wordpress.com/2019/03/16/fuel-tank-cover/

I recommend the project it to anyone who wants to have a good month.

EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Carlos G » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:40 pm

@ Mark. Good point. I must've been speed reading when I read your response. That tank is probably out of my price range anyway. It does look fantastic.

@ Eric. What you've done with your car is amazing but I'm also looking for more capacity. That scrotal hump that you removed on your car is also on the list for my car.
Last edited by Carlos G on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos G
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:34 pm

EEricson wrote: Anyone can do this; I spent only about $60 and 70 hours . . . .

Your point is well taken -- "Anyone" with mad skills like yours can fabricate a authentic looking cover (or actual fuel tank). Just a cut-to-fit cardboard mock-up for a pattern, scissor it out of some sheet metal, fire-up the mig or tig (or oxy/acet torch if you are cool enough to be truly authentic); then, bingo; a tank you like the looks of, with more capacity that the VW. Even someone like me can fabricate my own tanks (there are two, stainless, 12 gal total).

Still, that's not "Anyone". In fact, I think most are going to have to 'buy it', and maybe even have someone else install it. In that case, going to someone who has done it before is a good place to start. Pricey? Of course! Paying someone to hand-make anything in quantities of 1 is pricey. Your "70 hours" may be free to you, but at $100-$200 per hour of fabrication shop time; that's pricey! That's why a production spyder comes with an off-the-shelf stock VW tank. Not many would care to pay the extra "treasure" for the 'real thing' vs. the price of a perfectly serviceable VW tank.

On the topic of more fuel capacity: As mentioned I have 12 gal total. BUT, I don't think I've filled it past 3/4 more than a few times; in over 15 years! Even though my engine is bigger than most, and I drive without any thought of fuel conservation, it doesn't use that much gas. It seems like about 4 gallons will more than cover an afternoon's 75 mile back-road romp. On the highway for longer travel distances, I find that I'm ready for a break after about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. That's well within range of a VW tankful. And, as all of us know, pulling up the pump in the spyder is head-turning attention-getting (ae: fun). So pulling up the pump more often is more fun. :D
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby sjgharib » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:49 am

I like a full 13 gal for BALLAST to keep the nose firmly planted at speed!
:)
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:19 pm

I've found my Vintage is quite stable at up to 120. I have a very slight forward rake, somewhat low ride height. 1/16" toe-in front and rear, about 1.5 degrees negative camber in the front, about 3.5 degrees negative in the rear. I keep a bag of tools and a few quarts of oil up front. I usually run 22F 25R tire pressure.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical