How About a DIY Aluminum Interior Thread?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: How About a DIY Aluminum Interior Thread?

Postby beck688 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:20 am

Those are nice -- the tonneau -- WOW that is beautiful - do you have an english wheel. I have the the fuse box - that will definitely be my next project. I like your bracket.

The only problem I see and it is pretty major - when you put it back together you put the pedals on the wrong side, I am certain it was just an oversight.
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Mtflyr » Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 am

Gotowo very cool, great work. Where did you guys get the ID plates? Is it a blank one and then you and Beck688 both filled in the 550 info?

Thanks,

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby gotowo » Tue May 02, 2017 3:02 pm

I thought it would be best to line the pedals up with the steering wheel - makes it easier to drive! Yes, I invested in a english wheel - bought a cheap bench top one to start with, but found the limitations of the quality and how deep the throat was when using larger sheets - good start though. I have bought a bigger one now (not uber expensive) but gives a good clean result.

With the build plate, Fibersteel used to sell them. Last time I asked Russ he didn't have any in stock, so I am not sure if he is still making them. Russ has the stamping dies, so you can request which number you want stamped

thanks Andrew
Building the dream - http://www.type550.com
Vintage racing posters - http://posters.type550.com/
gotowo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Tue May 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks Andrew
Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Tue May 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Wow. You guys are pretty skilled. This thread is super-helpful as I'm planning to aluminize my car's interior and engine bay before I get too deep into the assembly process.

If anyone knows a good place to find those old non-working Autopulse pumps I'm all ears. I passed on a couple ebay ones recently as they'd both got over $60. I was under the impression that they aren't that rare. Maybe I was wrong about that?
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Mtflyr wrote:Gotowo very cool, great work. Where did you guys get the ID plates? Is it a blank one and then you and Beck688 both filled in the 550 info?

Thanks,

Pete

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/p ... 36p-104069
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby gotowo » Tue May 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks for the link - if you want to buy correct stamping dies, you can get them here

autoshoppingcenter.com
Building the dream - http://www.type550.com
Vintage racing posters - http://posters.type550.com/
gotowo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 pm

EEricson wrote:Wow. You guys are pretty skilled. This thread is super-helpful as I'm planning to alumitnize my car's interior and engine bay before I get too deep into the assembly process.

If anyone knows a good place to find those old non-working Autopulse pumps I'm all ears. I passed on a couple ebay ones recently as they'd both got over $60. I was under the impression that they aren't that rare. Maybe I was wrong about that?

The pumps are fairly easy to find the manifolds are tough. I have a set of NOS pumps brackets and manifolds. I am going to try (might not get) close to $2000.oo for the set (I am hoping they finance wide five brakes and wheels). Gotowo had some manifold sets and even more rare the proper fasteners made. I was lucky enough to get a set from him. I have an original set of manifolds too. These pumps are sought after by the 356 people they drive the parts up.

If you think that 2000.00 is high look at these http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/AutoPulse-Fuel-Pump-Type-500-356-Carrera-p27245.html
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby EEricson » Wed May 03, 2017 4:22 am

I've seen the new functional reproductions. That's way out of my league. I just want them to sit there and look the part. I can make the manifolds, I think: non-functional but close enough to the right look that you'd have to crawl under there to tell for sure. This, anyway, is my theory. If/when I get two pumps we shall see.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:17 am

There seems to have been a bunch of pumps on ebay lately. I wonder what kind of market there would be for a set of resin non functional manifolds
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby beck688 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:03 am

One more tool that I found helped a bunch, a spring loaded center punch. This allowed me to accurately layout the holes for the rivets. I have this one and like it because it has that big wooden knob on top.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02638A-Automatic-Center-Adjustable/dp/B008DXYOLC
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby TSchommer » Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes, those spring loaded punches are handy, I use one in my wood shop all the time.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DessauSpeed » Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 am

One thing I would recommend doing while you are down there is removing the nut-sack looking thing that hangs down above the gas pedal. It was originally for the fuel outlet under the gas tank. Most replicas nowadays have the fuel outlet in the lower front of the tank, so that depression is not needed. It gives you more room for your foot, and looks way better.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25693934@N07/26382439434/

A dead pedal is really nice to have as well. I did not really go for authenticity on mine, I wanted it to be strong and functional. I think it still looks cool...
DessauSpeed
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 am

You guys have done some beautiful work. I do like the dead pedal idea because on longer trips it does get awkward with where to put your left foot. Does anyone have a pattern for that?
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DessauSpeed » Mon May 22, 2017 8:35 am

I had a piece of 1/8 in thick construction alum that was already bent. I just had to cut to the frame hole and made the brackets to hold it in. So I really did not need a template. I'm sure someone will have a more authentic diagram for you...
DessauSpeed
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Technical