How About a DIY Aluminum Interior Thread?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: How About a DIY Aluminum Interior Thread?

Postby beck688 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:24 pm

I made all of my patterns from poster board and masking tape. You build the shape that fits then cut bend and rivet. I have also thought about using the folding peg from an ATV or the rear pegs from a dirt bike.
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby DessauSpeed » Tue May 23, 2017 10:57 am

Here's the real deal. Looks cool, but I felt like it need to be bigger to really be useful. My buddy used a steel VW gas pedal for his, it looks pretty cool too.
Attachments
dead550.jpg
DessauSpeed
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:46 pm

That seems to be right on top of the light switch
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby TSchommer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Little update on my interior. I have removed most of my carpet so far, it has been pretty time consuming to get all of the carpet and contact cement off… really really time consuming in fact. One plesent surprise though has been the reveal of the existing aluminum floors in my vintage spyder. Even though it took long time cleaning all of the cement off of them was pretty rewarding. I'm now finally in the process of making panels for the firewall, the door sills and the front of the footwells. Even though there is mostly just a bunch of exposed fiberglass, the car looks so cool without the carpet.

I’m going to be buying a rivet gun this weekend, and I'm looking for recommendations. Is it a good idea to go for a pneumatic gun or are the handheld plier type gun ok? Also, does anyone recommend a specific type of rivet and size, or rivet spacing?

Lastly (for now) I'm planning of covering as much surface area as I can with aluminum, but I would also like to paint over some of the fiberglass. I found an 8 oz. can of Rustoleum oil based enamel (Color: Aluminum 7715). Has anyone else done some coverup painting on their interiors? If so what process did you use? I'm thinking that most of it will eventually get covered up or be areas above normal sightlines, but I still want to do out right. Should I go all out and smooth out the textured fiberglass areas with a filler, then prime before painting, or would I be ok with just using the oil based enamel over the existing surfaces since there is no clear coat?
Attachments
Footwell.jpg
Interior.jpg
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:04 pm

What are those Halda Speed Pilot like things on the instrument panel...?

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:04 am

I am smoothing all the interior FG on my project. Using Upol Fibral to fill the mesh and then either All Metal (aluminum) or regular body filler to finish, depending on whether the surface will be painted. I think it'll all need paint.

I've got a couple of hand riveters I plan to use. I've never used an air riveter. I'll buy one if I hurt my wrist with the other.

Also bought some two-headed pop rivets for the areas where the back will be visible. ( https://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=18rj4dt) They're expensive but I figure, if we're going to do this, we might as well go all the way to the End Zone.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:07 pm

regular rivets are easy enough to use, they look neater too.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby TSchommer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:10 pm

I see that there are some rivets in the car already with a 3/8" head, so I'll probably go with that size. What is the difference in the look and functionality between pop rivets and regular rivets?
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 pm

functionality is the same but the truss head rivets don't have a hole in the head and they sit closer to flush on both sides. The pop rivet are use for places that you cant back up the rivet.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby TSchommer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:03 pm

RVosari wrote:What are those Halda Speed Pilot like things on the instrument panel...?

ReV

it is basically a makeshift set of these...

They were used in stage racing back in the day. The actual Heuer ones are crazy money, so I made an aluminum plate that formed to the dash curve, then bought the clips off of ebay and the stopwatches from Amazon.
Attachments
rallywatches.jpg
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:08 pm

beck688 wrote:functionality is the same but the truss head rivets don't have a hole in the head and they sit closer to flush on both sides. The pop rivet are use for places that you cant back up the rivet.

Thanks, I'm learning quite a bit already and I've barely started. I'm amazed at how much cooler the car looks after just getting rid of the carpet. Even though you can see the fiberglass texture and unpainted surfaces in some areas the spartan look really suits the car so much more than the "wall to wall" carpet that used to be there.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 pm

the easiest thing to cover it the floor. one sheet of aluminum glue it to the fiberglass use the fiberglass to drill the holes in the aluminum and screw it all back to gether.
Tools:
electric drill with bits
right left and straight tin snips
jig saw (I use a plywood blade)
orbital sander
2 saw horses or saw horse like things (paint cans etc)
Materials -
tube of construction adhesive
4x8 sheet of aluminum I use .063 mill finish Bought it at a sign supply place for less that 100.00
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby EEricson » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Gonna revive this thread with a question about the Beck/Thunder Ranch floor.

Mine's glass, and I'm planning to aluminize it, top and bottom. But yesterday I found a nice big sheet if 1/16-inch stainless steel in my shed: enough to cover the whole floor under the seats. I've heard in the past people gripe about these fiberglass floors. I've not seen anyone actually break one on the road, or heard of any actual problems with them, but I'm now wondering whether this SS reinforcement makes sense. I think it would add about 10 pounds to the middle of the car.

What's everyone think? Good idea? Overkill?
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Non-Technical