the weather and the 550

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

the weather and the 550

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:55 am

even thou i have a top i cannot really use because to enter the car with it in place i have to kneel in front of the door and then snake my body thru the door all the way to the pass. door and then bring my feet in and somehow sit ....

i do not know if anyone has the same problems with the very low top skeleton.

anyhow , it has been 95 F in miami for the lat 40 days ,and heavy showers and tropical storms that this week made miami 's south beach into a lake , so the 550 stays in the garage .

planning to drive it to my place in conn. and vt. next year in may and keep it there for the summer .
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: the weather and the 550

Postby Larry Jowdy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:24 am

Hello Fernando. Unless you're 5'3" it's virtually impossible to get into a Spyder if the top is on the car. :D
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby beck688 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Open the top get in close the top. Getting out is a little tricky but not impossible. Dont use the side curtains the windshield keeps fogging up.
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:20 am

i tired that but it does not work .....the steel skeleton still gets int he way ...and impossible to do it all from the seat...with someone else arouund yes ..i can sit in and he or she can then do it
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 am

Works for me and Im old - and fat. It is what it is - the car was designed as a race car the top is a concession.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby DannyP » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:30 am

A few years ago I could get in and out with the top up. Today I don't know.

I would open the door, put my left foot in. Then right hand on the car's rear fender and left hand on steering wheel. Then put right foot in, bend at waist while twisting sideways and dropping into the seat. I've done it without banging my head after some practice. It's not easy and I doubt I can still do it. I'm 5'9" and around 200 pounds.

Getting out is the reverse. Don't try it you've had a beer or two!

Much easier to flip the windshield latches and flip the top back, then get in. But not possible with side curtains in.

I'd leave the passenger side curtain in and use the driver's side for controlling ventilation. I had the zip-in curtains. No fogging with the heater/defroster on!

The top is an emergency top. You'll get wet, a little, even if you've got it sealed up as well as can be.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:05 pm

It is a get home device. I live in a place that if it is summer and it is afternoon thunderstorms are forecast. I have the added joy of having to put the windsield wipers on. Many times I just park under a bridge and talk to people on motorcycles. I did drive once from Tampa to Atlanta on the tail end of a hurricane - that was an adventure.

You can put your feet on the fiberglass hoop - it is strong enough (Another pointer from Chuck - then you just slide you butt down the seat). The little loops that are on the dashboards on some cars is to hold a top down if you don't have a windshield -- that is just trying too hard.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:06 pm

i think that age may have something to do with it as well as exercise ...

a month ago i went to see the bmw i8 (not to buy it just to see it ....they did make a good offer on it but it is silly to buy fast cars in the usa ) anyhow i did get into the drivers seat with much trouble ...but on the passenger seat ,no f ..g way ..i actually got stuck midway and then the salesman had to pull me out .....................i think that the spider even with the top up is easier but crawling

i have no excuse ...i can ride my bike flat out in curves and beat younger kids on theirs .but cannot get into a car ...figure that out
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:32 pm

beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby sjgharib » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:59 am

I wonder if it's just easier and better to weather-proof the interior of the car and wear wet weather gear?

Get rid of any carpet, strategically locate drainage holes, marine foam / coverings for seats. I think the gauges may be the only real issue, but i'm sure you could seal the front bezels. All of my switches are marine grade already.

I recently had to deal with a mouse problem and ended up hosing out a lot of the car. everything was fine except for the seat upholstery...
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mark P. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 am

I use my Spyder Spring, Summer and Fall as a daily driver. Chuck Beck told me the top was for emergencies only and not to be driven with. He tells me this after I call to complain my top came apart on the highway in a rainstorm! I re-glued it to the header bow and it lasted 8 years before starting to come apart at the seams.

I had to lower my seats by removing the tubular spacers under the seat tracks. This helped a little. I'm only 5'6" and even after removing the seat track spacers I could feel the top brushing against my head.

So when I had the top replaced, I machined up two 2" spacers to mount between the top frame and the mounts at the firewall. This raised the roof and made it much more comfortable inside. The upholstery shop doing the work just took this in to account when they took my old top apart to make patterns. The new top is awesome. It has lasted 11 years and still looks new.

Other tricks:
*Remote controlled solenoid door cable pull in the driver's door
*Added an 84 Carrera vent fan to the front firewall. Cut a square hole in the firewall just above the tunnel and mounted it there. Pulls in air from the wheel well area. I don't know how you use a Spyder without a fresh air fan.
*Eberspacher BN2 gas heater :) Plumbed this right in to the fresh-air fan.
*Seal the floor pan, front firewall and all around the frame tubes. Water leaks in here and will fog up the windows.
*I cut down the top edges of the windows and inserted galvanized metal flashing in there, then sewed it back together. This allows me to open and close the driver's door without having to tuck this in.
Attachments
Frontthird.jpg
1998 Beck 550 Spyder
2007 Porsche Boxster S
1991 Nissan Figaro
1970 Fiat 500L
Mark P.

Postby Mtflyr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:20 am

Hey Mark,
Can you post a few pic's of your fresh air fan and it's location/mount?

Thanks,

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical