Thoughts on selling Porsche for a Spyder...

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Thoughts on selling Porsche for a Spyder...

Postby RandyM » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:55 pm

I have had my 1968 Porsche 912 for many years but seriously thinking of selling it (or even trading) to get a really nice Beck or similar 550 Spyder. My local PCA guys tell me I'm crazy, to sell an appreciating car for a "replica" but they are all non 550 enthusiast.

My thinking is I've enjoyed the 912 for over 10 years and just simply don't get the "thrill" of driving it much. I'm sure the 550 will be much more "thrilling" but still on the fence regarding letting the 912 go.

Has anyone here had a 911, 912, 356, etc that they got rid of to get a 550? and if so did you ever regret it.

I'm not getting any younger, and in the end I'm thinking a really nice 550 will still hold it's value years from now, but who knows.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Randy
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Thoughts on selling Porsche for a Spyder...

Postby danstern » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:44 pm

I've had a 912 and a newer 911, but sold neither for the 550. The 550 is way more fun and much less practical. If your 912 is a toy, then I'd say it makes sense especially if you're not driven by the inheritance your heirs will collect. The 550 is a gas. It's fun no matter what you do with it, store runs or 1,000 mile driving vacations. Get a good, well sorted, reliable car, you'll love it.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks Dan,

I appreciate the input. I may try BaT for selling the 912 or try a few dealers on trade. The 912 is a "toy" or weekend car, but I also have a FFR shelby cobra that is just plain insane fun......I would think the 550 would be the same.

If I had enough room I would keep all 3, but to get the 550 and keep it garaged the 912 would have to go.
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby mason » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Good luck with your 912 sale and the 550 hunting. Early Porsche air-cooled cars are getting quite expensive. As with many classic cars, once the values go up some of the fun leaves. People drive them less or at least less hard. :)

I sold an 84 Carrera and shortly after bought a 550, and am very happy I did. No offense to Porsche Club folks (I know a lot of the folks on this site have Porsches), but many club members that I have met just don't want anything to do with the reproduction cars. For some, there is a lot of emphasis there on monetary value and much less emphasis on fun-to-drive. Interestingly, I've been warmly received by the local 356 club. Personally I think Chuck Beck deserves serious recognition for what he has contributed to the classic car hobby.

I decided to buy a beck because it is simple and distills the essence of the sports car down to 1300+ pounds. It has everything you need and nothing you don't. It is an absolute blast to drive, tune, and show. No regrets!!!

I've owned many classic cars, and the public's response to the beck spyder is the most positive of any car I've ever owned.

Welcome to the club. Be patient. Plenty of cars come up each year. Find something reasonably sorted with the drivetrain and other the features that you want.
mason
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:04 am

I threw the 912 on EBAY last week, It didn't meet the reserve but it gave me a good sense of where the market is.

I'm not in any hurry to sell the car I think I'm just suffering from Spyder fever.....Which brings me to my next question, am I missing any sites or dealer/builders that have 550"s? It seems there's just not that many 550's out there for sale.

I've checked out EBAY, google, Hemmings, BaT and this board but wanted to make sure I'm not missing some "secret" site that has more 550's.

If you know of any other places give me a heads up.

I'm back to considering a "lower price" car and keep the 912 (just have to make some creative use of the garage space) and over time upgrade the car. I've found a few in the mid to low $20's that aren't too bad and over time I could make it my own so to speak.

Thanks for any input.
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:01 am

If you can spring for one that has the options you want, you'll save in the long run. E.g., wide five wheels are an expensive conversion, but don't add much to a used Spyder's value.
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby SpyderMike » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 am

sending you a PM Randy.
l my b
SpyderMike
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:19 am

My first Porsche was a 1968 912. Bought it in 1969. I loved that car and wish I had it back. DON'T sell it for a Spyder, you'll be sorry. The Spyder is fun but totally impractical. Get caught in a downpour and you're all wet. In the 912 just roll up the windows. Take the 912 on a long trip and be comfortable, take a Spyder on a long trip and you need aspirin to loosed up your joints. DON'T DO IT
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RandyM » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Larry, good news......I still have it.

Had it met the reserve I would have been Happy/Sad. My main motivation was a space issue, but I have since cleared some room and can just fit another car in there should I find one.

I'll still keep looking around, maybe I can find a project kit unfinished one day.

Thanks for your input.

Randy
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pm

They're extra small so you can just turn them sideways on casters. Or get a lift and stick them up near the ceiling.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:41 pm

You have the ultimate solution, room for another small car and no hurry. Unfinished or finished with the right stuff and price.
PS. If it's an unfinished car you need more room (2 car garage to work on it).
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:20 am

randy....... here is my thought on this . first ,i do drive 911's in europe .............and when i drive them here i find them frustrating given the fact that they are designed with a sweet spot between 85 and 140,,,(keeps going up as time progresses ) and as a result ,i drive my 550 that i enjoy more because it is more attuned to our lower speed limits .. and i also drive a vw gti 2008 built in germany not mexico. when i drive a 911 here in the usa and then jump into my gti ,i admit that i do prefer the gti. as far as the 550 is concerned ,i have driven it cross country twice and from fla. to conn./vermont and back 3 times ....my only beef with the 550 is that when it rains and have to put the top up i have get into the car by kneeling down by the door and then snaking my way over to the other side and my head out the door ,then bringing my feet in and back up...a mess. i do haev other fun cars but the 550 is still my favorite
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RickJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Not sure where you're located - I've been in No California since 1999 and bought a 550 (Beck) in 2005, keeping it till 2012 - I've had many Porsches (2 356's 2 924S's, 2 911 SC's, and a 98 and 2009 Boxster - the 550 replica was probably the most fun.

I did enjoy some appreciation on one of the 356's (bought for $2K sold for $25K years ago) and reasonable, smaller appreciation on most of the others, except the 98 Boxster - with the 550 replica, I bought for $18K and sold it for $21K 6 years later - If you don't do your own work, you'll spend a bit on maintainance/repairs with it - but what great fun - I encourage you to go for it, although if your in a cooler climate you may find limited driving days. As you say, you're 'not getting any younger' - While this suggests 'do it now' - it also may mean that at some point the joys of topless driving with no heat/windows, etc may start to be a drain on your aging body......you should be able to sell your 550 with little or no depreciaion as the cost of new replicas keeps going up and pulls up the price of good used models.

Rick J
former Beck 550 owner
now driving 2009 Boxster S
RickJ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:42 am

two points to Rick on your post .
1) the cold weather --------------i also ride motorcycles .in florida where i had to give them up due to the idiot drivers who keep killing bikers . and now i only ride them in the northeast where i have always lived and do ride them in temp. as low as 22 F or lower .
there are heated garments available that i also use on the spyder when i bring it up here . i have heated socks,pants ,jackets, vests with neck enclosures ....al you do is attach one negative and one positive to the battery or to a distribution box. and of course a good helmet over the silk head cover .

as far as the heat and sun ..i am going on 75 in 6 months and my 550 is my daily driver here in southern fla. i also have the top .but when it rains it stays home and take my rc instead ...the RC is the compromise to my age ...
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Randy, did you ever make a decision?
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Next

Return to Non-Technical