Quick question on windscreens

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Quick question on windscreens

Postby RandyM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Hey guys,

I'm still on the hunt for a 550, I found a potential candidate but it has the small racing windscreen. Is it a major ordeal to put on a "standard" windscreen thats higher and has the chrome trim?

This one particular car is a beck, but I've found another maker that has the same smaller screen. Are they all pretty easy to swap out or will it require indepth modifications. Also, who would sell the larger windscreens....do you just have to contact the manufactor of the replica?

Thanks,

Randy
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Quick question on windscreens

Postby TSchommer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:45 am

I think the windshield are a direct replacement part from a Porsche 356. Replacing it would really depend on the car and who built it, there is probably no guarantee that holes would line up. Acquiring and installing windshield wipers might also a question if I he car was not originally set up for them. My advice would be to just try to live with the plex windscreen for a while, they look much cooler. Worry about replacing it if it becomes an issue.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 am

Is it the small screen a single (driver's side only) or full width. If it's full width it may be a later version that is interchangeable with the Speedster, safety glass, windshield. The fulls size Speedster windshield is much safer on the highway.
If it's a Beck, get the serial no. and approximate build date and call Beck. They'll tell you what it needs. If you live near them (or Vintage in SoCal) you can just ask the cost for parts and installation.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:26 am

Personally, I consider the plexiglass windscreen to be an upgrade. I'll assume its the full width screen not the single as pointed out by Dan above. The 550 looks far more sleek and sexy with that then the bulky 356 windshield. I agree that the choice is a matter of personal preference and licensing requirements. I know some members get the car plated with the windshield then removed it and install the plexi. Check with Vintage and Fibre Steel as the both sell the 356 windshields and the large plexi designed to cover the holes from the 356 style windshield.

Most times people do like I did. I had the 356 windshield and I removed it and went the plexiglass wind screen. I bought the screen from the supplier and it was designed to cover the holes from the 356 windshield. Not all are like this though, it depends on the plexi that was installed, some are smaller and didn't cover the holes. You would need to measure the overall width, height and perimeter to determine what is on the car.

So in your case if someone did what I did and used the plexi designed to do the replacement you could likely remove the plexi and install the 356 style windshield. If they used the more original style one that is smaller then you will end up having to fill some of the holes from your existing plexi and drill some new larger holes to support the 356 windshield. Also, when installing the plexi many people modify the body and fill in the wiper arm recces located just in front of the windshield area.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks for the input fella's, it is the full windscreen. I'm not concerned about wipers, it was more about the height of the screen.

Does the plexiglass screen sit below your eyes? I'm only 5'9 but the pictures of the car makes the screen look really short.....wasn't sure how that would be during a drive..

Thanks.
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:10 pm

In my 550 I have the seats bolted right to the floor, no tracks or other things that would increase height. I sit on the floor and have minimum foam padding between my butt and the floor. I'm 6' and have no problem with the screen. I would say the top of my head is a bit higher than the plexi and shoulder/neck is the same height as the body behind me but due to the rake profile of the plexi the wind and debris is directed up over my head, no issues. Here is what mine looks like, you can see that the windscreen is not overly low, but it is the larger one designed to cover the holes when replacing the 356 windshield.
Attachments
5505-1 resize.JPG
Last edited by RBP on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 am

I would love the the plastic mini windshield -- on the other hand I have also had a windshield taken out by an exploding truck tire, windshield shattered but not my face. The speedster windshield, according to the 550 copy of the owners manual, was offered as an option from Porsche. I drive my car a lot and a lot on Atlanta expressways. I will go with the protection as minimal as it is.
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby EEricson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 am

Imho the Speedster windscreen looks pretty "right" on the car. They aren't very tall. The acrylic/Lexan screens look even better but I don't know if you can register the car with one installed. Lexan is used on race cars so it should be "safe"—in quotes there because, let's face it: these cars are in no way safe by any applicable modern (or ancient) standard.

I'm building mine with the Speedster screen because it's the only way to attach a canvas top, and because I want to make a "wrap" screen with half side curtains and the Speedster windshield looks more conducive to doing that than any of the available Lexan ones. Installing the wipers too; several owners say they're good to have even without a top.

I think the very early cars ('54) were raced with full screens with frames. Yeah?
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:23 am

When I built my first 550 I thought the same thing and installed the 356 windshield, bought and installed the convertible top, side curtains, wiper motor and blades. I learned pretty quick that all this is useless!. If you put the top on it is almost impossible to get in and out of the car. Next even if you do and its raining out water gets in between the top and windshield, doors, side curtains and so on. Next the wipers are useless and really don't do much. haven't seen any that work properly. Next there is no blower so the windshield fogs up! Again just my opinion from installing one and trying to use it.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby SeductionMotorsports » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 am

Go with the plexi windscreen... don't ever look back. I tell all my clients this and the ones who choose the glass windshield ALWAYS regret not ordering a build with the plexi windscreen.
www.SeductionMotorsports.com
www.Facebook.com/SeductionMotorsports
Instagram: seduction_ms
Inquiries: daniel@seductionmotorsports.com
Builder of 550 Spyders, SM550 Spyder Outlaws & 356 Coupes
SeductionMotorsports

Postby RBP » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 am

Agreed! Wish someone had told me that in the beginning.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Guys, Thanks so much for all the advice. I'm glad I asked because I was certain I needed the full windshield....Now I'm sold on the plexi.

Now the hard part, deciding on an older Beck or cracking the piggy bank open and getting either new or slightly used. If anyone has been on Pelican lately check out the Beck for sale in the classifieds, interesting enough it comes with both windscreens. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... -80-a.html
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Looks like a great deal at full ask (assuming it drives and stops).
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm

As long as we are on this topic, I have a standard glass speedster windshield, and have wanted to change it out for a plexiglass one. Is it a pretty easy swap? are the attachment points pretty consistent? If I bought a plexi screen from Vintage or Seduction is ther a high likelihood that the hardware holes would line up, or is there drilling involved? How about care and maintenance, do they scratch easily or require much special care?

This thread might have pushed me over the edge, I might make the swap in the spring.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:56 am

If you have a Vintage you should call Greg and ask him. He has full plexi that covers the holes, including the larger pot holes at each end. The bottom SS retaining strip of the 356 windshield will likely have the small rivet holes in a different location then the plexi but you can simply mark the new ones and drill. The nice thing is the new plexi will cover the holes so if you ever did need to go back to the wind shield you can just reuse the old holes.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical