Thoughts on Vintage Spyder?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Thoughts on Vintage Spyder?

Postby RandyM » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Hey Folks,

I found a really nice 550 that is a "Vintage Spyder"......I have only been researching Beck mainly and I emailed Seduction but haven't heard back yet. What do you guys know about Vintage?

Are they a well thought of replica? Any reviews on the Vintage would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Thoughts on Vintage Spyder?

Postby danstern » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Randy,
I've owned a Vintage Spyder for about 8 years (it was built in 2000). I'm extremely happy with it. Had Greg put the new, more accurate rear clam on. They are very well built, if done in his shop. If assembled from a kit they vary depending on the skill of the builder, but that's true of any kit. If you're on the west coast you should check his place out and you're welcome to come and look mine over. Be happy to give you a detailed tour of options and choices. The frame on a Vintage has a bit more bracing, the suspension is a bit more advance (with rear coil overs), etc.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Randy your question is like asking which is better, Ford or Chevy. Beck owners are loyal as are Vintage owners. There are differences such as Dan mentioned but owners of both brands enjoy their cars
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby RandyM » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks guys, Larry that comparison actually makes a lot of sense. I think I was so focused on Beck during my research I never came across the Vintage manufacturer. I just wasn't sure how they were viewed, but it appears they are very respected.

Dan, sadly I'm on the East coast, would love to see the the plant and your car but not venturing that way anytime soon. The seller of the Vintage just sent me a video and wow it looks good. This might be the one if we can get together on the price...or it sells to another buyer.

Thanks again guys.
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Just an FYI, Vintage makes the bodywork and chassis for Seduction, and they are both very good cars. Seduction adds value with lots of bespoke high quality machined parts. The biggest difference between Vintage/Seduction and Beck (I know this is oversimplification) is that Beck chassis use a larger diameter tube that is closer to the original Spyder, while the Vintage style chassis is a smaller diameter more complex tube design. If you want to know which chassis is better probably buy one of each and hire an engineering team. :D
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical