The 550 arrived! A few quick questions.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: The 550 arrived! A few quick questions.

Postby DannyP » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:49 am

TSchomer: I think in the late 2000s Greg started offering the bent crossmember. It makes a Subaru air cleaner a bunch easier I believe. My new car has a straight tube, because I ordered it that way.

Ed, yes, I had a front mount on my old car. I welded tabs to the side rails of the frame, no torsion tube in a Vintage.
The new car doesn't seem to need it with the PBS tailcone and sturdier trans mount. I have a trans strap and new German rubber motor mounts.

The torsion bar circles are there just for show.

Absolutely change out that worn hexbar with heim joints. Mine was worn out at 3000 miles.

You can lessen throttle sensitivity by leaving a bit of slack in the cable. Just a little makes a difference. My throttle is set up EXACTLY the same way as the pictures here.

I'm surprised as well that so little miles are on so many Spyders. My old one had over 40,000 in ten years. The new one hasn't broke 1000 yet, I spent a lot of time finishing it this year, not so much driving. Plus I messed up my left ankle at the end of July, and haven't been able to use the clutch. Next year!

Congrats on the new to you car, it looks really nice!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks, I thought that Vintage switched to the bent crossmember in order to fit a spare tire above the transmission.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RandyM » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:35 pm

I finally got some time behind the wheel today.....what a car!

I got in about 30 miles and getting used to everything, the throttle response is only rarely "bucking" in 2nd gear only. The brake pulling is completely gone, I can only assume it was some build up on the rotor.

My headlight issue is resolved, turns out It was the relay. Although I can't figure out the high beam, there is no high beam switch or anyway to activate it so I only have low beams. Did Vintage include a high beam switch? The way my lights work now is the first pull is running lights and the second (last) pull is headlights...low beam. The high beam wire is tapped up for now. Speaking of wire, the main headlight hot wire seems as if it needs to be a thicker gauge. I'm wondering if that was a problem for the PO in the past and thats why I had no headlights.

I'm hoping to service the car tomorrow with new oil and filter, hoses, etc. I've been running Brad Penn 20/50 in the 912 what do you guys recommend for this engine?

Cheers,
Randy
RandyM
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:55 am

Hey Randy,

My SE/Beck has the high beam in the steering column pull back on the signal arm left side of the column. I use BP 10-30 sometimes in the Summer I've used BP 20-50 but now I just go 10-30.

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:14 am

Some Vintage Spyder have a tiny push button switch at the bottom of the instrument binnacle.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:24 am

dan,

enjoy it ...mine is 19 years old now and has over ( i think,i am not in miami now so i cannot look it up ) 43,000 kms . taken it cross country twice and from miami to vermont / conn/ once ...... i no longer drive it in vermont ,only in fla and i drive it daily when it does not rain .
my only reason for not driving it in vermont and the mountain roads is because on 2 occasions i entered the curve too fast and i had the car in two wheels ..scary no traffic was coming so i steered into the down side ,took feet off accelerator and back down ...

also, when driving it at over 120 mph it was a windy day and i achieve rotation...all of the sudden i was looking ,not at the road but rather at the clouds ...took foot off accelerator and it settled down ...the car is flush underneath.

great car and lots of fun .......enjoy it
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Mtflyr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:45 am

Just got back home to Northern Virginia after spending Christmas in Tennessee and Georgia. While in Tennessee I got with Randy and checked out his very cool cars and new Vintage Spyder it's well done, love the plex windscreen and Porsche fan shroud.

Thanks again Randy for letting me stop by to see your Spyder. This morning here it was 14 degrees but it's now warmed to about 19 but the roads are too salty to venture out in the Speedster or Spyder. I don't mind the cold but wet, icy and salty roads suck. :D

Pete
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby FERNANDO FERNANDEZ » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:49 pm

in mmiami now ..my 550 has 54,000 kms now
FERNANDO FERNANDEZ
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Non-Technical