Vintage Porsche OEM 6V Battery?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Vintage Porsche OEM 6V Battery?

Postby TSchommer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:25 pm

I just replaced the Sears 12V tractor battery in my car with a new Interstate battery that literally has a sticker with "Lawn & Garden" with grass on it, so I started searching for images of vintage 50's era or 356 Porsche batteries and I found this on eBay. I thought it looked pretty interesting so I'm going to make a digitally printed and laminated decal at work to replace the existing sticker on the battery just for looks (i might just move the original onto the back). I know the original cars had front mounted batteries, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone to any great lengths to replicate the look of the original Porsche batteries on their cars.

I did already replicate the decal shown on this eBay linked battery label, it is set in Helvetica Bold, and I replicated the kerning and tracking nearly perfectly as well as vectorizing the Porsche logo. It scales to 6" x 3.75" for a tractor battery. If anyone is interested I can send it as a PDF, or I might try to get a 5-10 printed at work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Porsch ... 2A&vxp=mtr
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Vintage Porsche OEM 6V Battery?

Postby EEricson » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 pm

I love that story and would pay for the sticker, because it's hilarious and that's what me and my build are about. Yes, yes, and yes, please.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:41 am

If you were to move the battery up front, you'd want to have some really thick cables, people use welding cable to do this or so I've heard.

Me, I bought a 420 CCA lawn tractor battery from Tractor Supply, and simply removed the Briggs and Stratton sticker. I think my starter cable is 24 inches, ground is shorter than that.

That's a cool idea for a sticker. 6V sucks though in actual functionality, but I like the faux sticker on a 12v battery. Got to put 3 fake red caps on top to complete the illusion.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 am

They make a six volt empty case that your 12 v. battery goes in if you want it looking right.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Link, please.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 am

Don't have a link. Search on 356 sites and other old car places.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical