Hose Misadventure

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Hose Misadventure

Postby egrant5329 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:16 am

I thought I would share a recent misadventure. After my inspection the otherday, I was putting the car down the highway at a nice clip and thought I smelled smoke. I looked back and didn't see anything. The smell persisted and I noticed a car that I passed backed off as I came around them. Noticing faint blue smoke now I whipped over to the shoulder of the highway and popped the hood with fire extinguisher ready. Oil was everyhere and I couldn't see the source. With just a couple miles to go I went on home keeping a close eye on oil pressure and idiot light.

With the engine running I could see a fine stream of oil coming out of my oil return line. There was a hole was in the middle of the line, nothing rubbing it and not near a heat source. Below is a pic of the hole.

The line was Jegs push-loc hose and I have had it on there probably five years. I just replaced all of it with Summic Racing PTFE stainless steel braided hose. Hopefully that was a good choice. Fortunately the large sump and aux oil cooler gave me enough time that I didn't damage anything. If the hole would have happened on the line going from the oil filter to the auxillary oilcooler I probably wouldn't have seen or smelled smoke.

It was a major mess to clean up and thank goodness I didn't kill the engine.
EdG
Attachments
blownhose.JPG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Hose Misadventure

Postby DannyP » Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 am

Wow, good save! I had the main oil galley line pop off the filter when I first started the engine back in 2005. Since then, the Push-Loc hose has been relegated to breather lines.

I have Jeg's nylon-braided hose and AN-8 fittings for my oil lines, probably 6-8 feet of it. Makes me think I might want to replace it, it's been about 10 years since it was installed. I went with nylon as I didn't want the SS mesh rubbing on my powdercoat frame.

I am hoping that hole you have is just a manufacturer defect.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:26 am

The Jegs push-loc hose was advertised for oil lines and it had a high enough pressure rating 300psi. I don't know that I even knew the temperature rating, but their site says the maximum temperature rating is 212 F. To my knowlege my oil temps have never been close to the that temp, but it seems to me that the rating is too close to what oil temps normally run to be a good choice for oil line. I like the double overage principle where you use a material that is desgned to handle twice the worst case senario.

The PTFE hose is supposed to be able to handle 400F and 2000 psi. I don't know what PSI the fitting will actually hold since I put them on and they are not crimped on, but they handed the cold startup oil pressure ok so they are probably fine. Still I would have preferred professionally crimped on fittings. My lines don't run along the frame so scratching the powdercoat shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, I was going to try to look you up a few weeks ago when I went to the motorcyclopedia museum in Newburgh, but you are hard to get a hold of these days.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sun May 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Sorry Ed. I guess that's what the cancelled PM was about LOL?

I don't log in every time I view this site as there is very little traffic today.

I'm only twenty minutes from the museum, and am usually around. Still recovering from ankle surgery, currently about mid-way through PT. So I'm not at work, yet!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:36 pm

The message sat in my out box and I thought something was wrong with the system. Then it was too late to make it happen and I didn't want to drop by unannounced so I deleted it. I can't make Carlisle yet again, so I thought perhaps I could check out your 2.0 build in person. I currently have a message to Lancelot sitting in the outbox since 4/2. I don't know if they are delivered when the other person logs on or how it works, but that's the longest I have ever had a message sit there.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical