Engine Temp & Driving in Hot Weather?

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Engine Temp & Driving in Hot Weather?

Postby TSchommer » Sun May 27, 2018 2:55 am

Just wondering how everyone’s cars handle hot 90°+ weather? My car seems to do ok, but the temp gauge does get quite a bit higher than normal, especially when idling, it seems fine when the engine is running in the 3000rpm range. Just because my car normally stays on the cool side of the temp gauge I get nervous when it even gets to the middle range of the gauge. Also, is there a good way to accurately measure or determine how hot my engine is getting since the gauge does not have any numbers?
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Engine Temp & Driving in Hot Weather?

Postby EEricson » Sun May 27, 2018 4:35 am

Remember the dipstick test. When the engine has been running, warmed up, doing work, shut it off and immediately pull the dipstick. Too hot to hold? Then it's too hot.

To check oil temp in calibrated degrees, you can get a long candy thermometer. Calibrate it in a pot of boiling water, then put it in the dip stick hole. The temp shown there is roughly what the gauge should read, if the gauge had numbers on it. For years in my TD replica I ran the Gene Berg thermometer dipstick, an ingenious little device that was wired to the oil pressure light. If the temperature in the crank case got above mid 220s, the dipstick would start making the oil light flash intermittently. At about 230f the light would stay on.

Modern oil by the way can take a lot more heat than the stuff all these rules of thumb were made for. Racers often run above 250f these days and, while they do ruin engines, they don't seem to ruin them at a faster rate than they used to.

Head temps are a whole other thing....
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Sun May 27, 2018 5:45 am

For reference...the 120 degree point is where the right edge of the green "block" ends on the non-numerated gauge. Once you have determined where the 210-220 F range is on your gauge with a thermometer...place a sliver of tape on the instrument face at that point.

ReV
Attachments
Oil Temp VDO Gauge.jpg
Oil Temp VDO Gauge.jpg (17.8 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Mon May 28, 2018 6:55 am

Thanks, I don’t have to deal with these temps too often, but I’m wondering how people who live in say Arizona deal with it. I’m thinking about buying one of these Bluetooth thermometers just to check out my engine bay temps in a few places.

Dumb question here, where is the thermometer generally mounted on a Spyder?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LWX9J ... ref=plSrch
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:02 pm

That could provide some interesting info. I have always wondered what the temps were in the engine compartment sitting in traffic. I have also wondered what the airflow looks like back there at highway speed.

Do you run and thermostatically controlled auxillary oil cooler with fan? I think most of us run one just in case.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Tue May 29, 2018 7:30 am

I posted this picture before. The gauge is an oil temperature one. After running the car awhile on a hot day, even in traffic, the VDO gauge on the dash goes as high as 40% of the sweep. The gauge on the engine is after the cooler but it usually reads a little over 200. The sensor for the dash gauge is usually located where the pressure sender on the engine is.
Attachments
spyder oil.JPG
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical