Wind Buffeting

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Wind Buffeting

Postby egrant5329 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:12 pm

I have complained about wind buffeting on my hearing in the past and was surprised no one else has really mentioned it. Basically when the air hits me from behind the head it catches the back side of my right ear. Even with ear plugs the wind hitting my ear causes enough vibration that the plugged ear still transfers the sound. I can put 2 fingers behind my ear and it blocks the wind stopping the noise. The helmet fairing and the half tonneau make it even worse.

This is one of the ideas I cam up with (see pic). It's 1/4" polycarbonate and is easily removable. I have not tried it yet, but with luck I will tommorrow. I am hoping that the extra material will sheild my right ear. Any guesses as to whether or not it will help? I'm a little concerned that the wind will vibrate it because the aluminum brackets are fairly thin. I have made one that goes across from the wind fairing to the passenger side, but I haven't decided how I want to mount it. The other thing that I think would help is mounting my seat to the floor sans the siding rail.
EdG
Attachments
windbloc-head.png
windbloc-head.png (54.17 KiB) Viewed 3625 times
windbloc.png
windbloc.png (45.72 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Wind Buffeting

Postby danstern » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm

I did a similar one that was a bit wider out of plexi. It snapped at speed and scared the sh*t out of me. Be careful then made one out of aluminum. Wider, low enough th have the hi mounted rear view mirror see over. Works well.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Dan did the plexi snap or the mounting? I don't think 1/4" lexan will be a problem, but I could see the aluminum brackets fatique and break over time.

The weather didn't cooperate this morning (46F) so I didn't drive it until a few minutes ago. I only had it at 55mph, so not a real test, but most of the buffeting seemed to be stopped. I didn't notice any flexing or vibration. I think I'll find something stronger to make the bracket from. The cheap aluminum didn't polish very nicely anyway. The real test will be with the half tonneau on at 80+mph.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:21 pm

I like this project! Please post the results.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 am

I usually run with a half aluminum tonneau. There’s a slot between the aluminum and fiberglass that I slide the windbreak into, so no bracket. The plexi wasn’t ¼” and snapped from pressure on the back side. The new one is aluminum, wider and lower. It works quite well on the freeway at 75.
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:57 am

75-80 mph... [:0] Where do they let you drive that fast ? Anytime I have seen a small car going fast on US roads...the Police are sure to follow !

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:26 am

Rev I have lived in Middletown, CT and you get ran over at 75mph especially on 91 between Springfield and Hartford.

Dan Could you post a picture? My tonneau is fiberglass and there is no way to slide anything in between.

I drove my spyder to work today. A balmy 50F in NH for 35 miles. The windbloc did great. I'd say it blocked 90% of the buffeting at 75mph. I am very pleased with the result. There wasn't any vibration from the bracket either. I didn't have my half tonneau, so that will be the next step. I still need to lower the seat, which should help more. I'll live with it a while and report back.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:36 am

Freeway speed limit is 65 or 70. 75 isn’t an issue with the police though I do worry about safety in the Spyder at any speed.
I’m across the country at the moment and can’t take a photo of the windbreak/tonneau. Will try and remember when I get home, Wednesday.
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Chugging along with 18 wheelers is (a drag)…but a Spyder can run at 85 mph…in my case, I can take my hands off the wheel at that speed for minutes at a time; without problems…BUT if John Q sees you he will call it in… and the POLICE will be looking for you in CT, NY and likely most places in the US !
ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 am

Ed, I'm in the design phase of a new top. I'm planning a Boxster Spyder-like top. I'm planning a tube steel hoop/bow over the back edge of the cockpit. This will get filled with some 1/4" plexiglass, and should do the job of a windblock.

I also bought some of Troy Sloan's Cruzin windows, for which I'll make new plexi windows, but use the hardware. Side curtains have too much cloth making side visibility VERY limited, so full plexi will help there. The top will consist of the windshield header and cloth. I'm thinking bimini style with sail panels that secure to the rear deck inboard of the fenders.

The hope is I can ride with none of it, the side windows and/or the rear window. Then if it rains throw the top over.

This whole exercise is to keep engine noise out of the top, which was a large problem with the old one. Also, I had a problem with removing the headrest every time I had to put the top up. Wish me luck.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Danny,
I can't wait to see what you come up with. I have thought about a bimini top, but haven't gotten around to attempting one. I thought I would u-bolt the mounts to the frame triangles by the seat and have the hoop come up the firewall.

I am revising, downward, the effectiveness of the little wind blocker that I installed. I don't fully understand the dynamics yet, but I have used it ~140 miles mostly highway. I'd say it has decreased the buffeting by >50%. I'll go for a fair distance with nothing but the occasional buffet, then I'll go for a while getting a fair amount, same speed same road (still less than without it). I assume it is related to how the wind is hitting the car, but I really don't know for sure. Also if I lean my head back on the helmet fairing pad with it not that far behind my ear, the blocker doesn't seem to do much at all, but if I sit a little more towards the windshield I get less buffeting.

Today I lowered my seat, but only by about an inch. It was a seemingly simple task that wasn't. I wanted to retain the sliding adjuster which is why it only went down about an inch. If I take out the slider I could lower it another inch, but there just isn't much room between the frame tubes and it is very tight when the seat is directly on the floor.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 am

My seat is bolted directly to the aluminum floor between the frame rails.
I’ve thought about a Bimini top too. I have the Vintage roll bar, so I thought I’d use that at the rear. Problem is the windshield header has zero hardware. Even thought about a boogie board clamped to the roll bar and resting on the windshield for a bit of shade. Never did anything. Just enjoying the Spyder.
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Interesting thread, has anyone tried doing something like this...

D-Type Jaguar with small lexan attached to the doors, or like the Shelby Cobra, where they are attached to the windshield frame. I noticed that there are two screws on the lower side of the windshield frame that would be easy to anchor to.
Attachments
414479C6-5985-4FCB-9F6F-B10A8843ABD5.jpeg
414479C6-5985-4FCB-9F6F-B10A8843ABD5.jpeg (22.05 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
1051E9FA-D255-4859-AE94-D426B8590C29.jpeg
1051E9FA-D255-4859-AE94-D426B8590C29.jpeg (26.64 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 am

IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3639.JPG (19.63 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3640.JPG (27.25 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG (29.37 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Don't think the Cobra wind wings or Jaguar wrap around will work very well, though at least one original Spyder did use the wrap around at the Carrera Panamericana. The wind in the Spyder tends to come over the top of the windshield and come back into the cockpit from behind. Porsche understood this and built a low drag, Bucklewagen. It had a raised rear deck lid to minimize the reverse air flow and turbulence.
Here are photos of my solution. It actually works pretty well.
Dan
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 am

Dan: The old Vintage Spyder tops had zero hardware on the windshield itself. There were two latches on the header that hooked onto the aluminum channel on the edge.

Beck windshields have latches that are screwed to the trim. They are rather nice and I'm pretty sure they are available separately, though you may have to wait for them to get a batch ordered/made. Contact Carey or Brad.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Next

Return to Non-Technical