Wind Buffeting

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Wind Buffeting

Postby egrant5329 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:20 am

You need to get some Tenax fasteners instead of those pins. They work really well, release easy and don't come off unless you want them to. My car had them on it when I purchased it. When I made my half tonneau I had to buy some. Apparently there are German and British versions. I think the German version has a smoother head than the British. I had a bit of a hard time finding what I needed, but ultimately found them.
I ended up buying them from here probably because of a better price https://www.jclarkemarine.com/search?q=tenax&submit= , but there are other places like http://eagleday.com/tenaxfasteners1.html
A local automotive upholstery shop could probably get them for you.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:56 am

This winter I treated myself to a white Stirling Moss style helmet in hopes of protecting my hearing a bit. I am not a hat guy and was pretty sure I'd look like a complete dork/goofball it in, but I felt like I had to try it. Monday the weather finally cooperated and I took my car for it's inspection and wore the helmet.

The Kentucky Derby was couple days before so my first comment came from the shop guy when he asked me if the derby inspired my helmet selection. So far that's the only comment, but not many people have had the chance to see me in it. The good news is that it did wonders for the wind buffeting, provided nice shade and wasn't hot. The only issue I had with it was at highway speeds (75-80 mph) the wind caused my helmet to wobble a bit. It is a replica of the original helmet, so it doesn't fit like a modern foam lined helmet. Instead it sits on an adjustable canvas lining/suspension. I don't have goggles for it, but in a way they would make the helmet look smaller (less white showing).

The end result is that it helped enough on the highway, especially on long drives, that I'll wear it despite looking a little dorky.
EdG
Attachments
Helmet.JPG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 pm

That's a useful hat...it protects your head, yet does not give you that claustrophobic feel that a full racing helmet does and you don't loose sensory awareness !

Most have a detachable face shield that prevents rain-drops pelting your face...

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Thu May 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Link to the helmet, please.

And yeah, you need the goggles too. Dorky > "cool."
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Wind Buffeting

Postby egrant5329 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:58 am

EEricson wrote:Link to the helmet, please.

And yeah, you need the goggles too. Dorky > "cool."

This is the one I purchased. I put a link to a similar one earlier in this topic.

https://www.huetbrothers.com/hbshop/Hel ... -c25827347
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sat May 11, 2019 3:10 am

Ed, looks good. That helmet is a bit pricy to achieve the "look".

Possibly get this one and paint the visor white with some Krylon plastic-friendly paint?

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/125-55 ... gJyn_D_BwE

Gets some goggles and you're set.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Wind Buffeting

Postby egrant5329 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 am

It was definitely more than I wanted to spend, but I liked the design and I was desperate to protect my ears. It’s not a true helmet and wouldn’t provide any real protection in a crash, but it is more ventilated/cooler than a protective helmet.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon May 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Ed, Whats with the windshield? Looks like its falling down. Not much higher than a plexi.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Tue May 14, 2019 3:10 am

Yeah, you are right Rudy. Maybe that's the wind buffeting problem right there. My glass screen is much more upright.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Tue May 14, 2019 4:21 am

Good point D, I had both the 356 windshield and my now plexi and my plexi is about the height of that windshield. I also noticed its not much higher than the helmet fairing.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:48 am

I think it is just an optical illusion from the angle of the camera and the slope I am driving up. Plus I am leaning forward and sitting much higher than normal because I was pulling into a dark garage. Normally my eyes are lower than the bottom of my rear view mirror and my head is against the helmet pad. However, looking at the windshield it does seem to look little more angled than my last windshield, but not much if any.

It's a new standard Beck windshield from Carey Hines. Both the posts and aluminum trim are the same as the previous one and the posts set the windshield angle. The bottom gasket is thicker than the one from 1986, but it seems to sit in the track the same. We did have a heck of a time installing windshield and broke two. The orginal windshield had started delaminating all around the edge, which is why I purchased the new one. When we installed it we used the original bottom windshield aluminum track with the new gaskets. Sometime after we were finished the windshield cracked. The next one we used the new aluminum bottom track and it broke while we were tightening it down.

It turned out that the shape of the windshield was different from the old one. It curved more forward by at least 1/4" or more, so we unrivited the track and reshaped the new track to match the new windshield and rivited it back down. The post holes are in the same spot and the posts and aluminum piece that goes over the top was the same, so the windshield height and angle can't be off by much from the previous windshield if any. I still have the old windshield, track and parts and just overlayed the aluminum windshield trim and verified that the height matched.

My helmet fairing is a Vintage produced one and I believe they are a little taller than the ones Carey makes. https://www.velocitymc.com/vehicle-deta ... eb3c60397b vs https://barrettjacksoncdn.azureedge.net ... le_Web.jpg

I also had the wind buffeting before, but it is definately worse with the helmet fairing and the half tonneau on the car. If I had just the diverside plexi, I am sure it would be a totally different experience.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sun May 19, 2019 6:27 am

I cured the buffeting with a wind guard behind the cockpit, much like the one on Boxster or other convertibles. Tried plexiglass but they kept snapping because of the wind pressure. Got the idea from the Porsche Spyder Bucklewagon(sp?). Now made out of aluminum sheet that goes between the helmet fairing and about 12" into the passenger side. Have an aluminum half tonneau so it slips between the tonneau and car body. Low enough to see over in the rear view mirror. Invaluable on long drives.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon May 20, 2019 5:03 pm

Aluminum is cool. I'm sure it works, several Speedster guys have done them, solid and also a fine screen in a frame.

I'm wondering if plexiglass would work if it had a steel frame.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Tue May 21, 2019 6:33 am

I'm sure heavy plexiglass with a frame would work, but seemed harder to make than the aluminum. The solid wind blocker doesn't hurt visibility as the rear view mirror's sight line is above it. Admittedly it looks less than elegant. Much nicer without the painter's tape but I'm afraid of paint damage from the unfinished aluminum edges. Guess I could polish them.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Non-Technical