Hello

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Hello

Postby Ray550 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks for the maintenance feedback. If I go this route, I don't know exactly what I will end up with yet. I was thinking of an aluminum interior just because I have a roll of aluminum in the basement. Other than that for specifics, I'm thinking something similar in spirit. One of the reasons I'm here is to figure out my goal before starting instead of constantly upgrading and changing paths.

Did I read that right? 5:19 Nurburgring! Had to check because I thought it was a typo. Stephan Bellof's record of 35 years finally broken. In some ways, I'm sad that the record fell because at the time, it was a phenomenal record (16 seconds quicker than 2nd place?) Technology, aerodynamics and 500 more hp finally prevail.

Electric vehicle technology is very exciting right now but for me, battery technology is not quite there yet (unless you are willing to pay a fortune for it). I think some of the new Lithium Titanate batteries hold promise. For years, I had an old buy-eyed sprite that I was going to convert to electric but never did. I also built some e-bikes running on drill batteries a decade ago. An electric spyder has crossed my mind, but only briefly.
Ray550

Postby egrant5329 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:12 pm

My Beck was a home built kit that I picked up knowing absolutely nothing about the cars or even VWs. I had sold off my 75 Datsun 280Z and wanted something that wouldn't rust. If I were buying today I would do things different, but at the time the price was more than right. My Beck had a slightly modified 1600 with dual kadrons and a stock 4.12 transaxle. Now I have a very nice 2L with a customized 3.44 transaxle. I have literaly done everything, but rewire the car (that's on my list of still might do). I like to tinker and I like to learn so the car, although frustrating at times, has been perfect for me.

Mine will never be as nice as a lot of the spyders in our group and thats ok with me. I drive mine on dirt roads or where ever I need to go. Earlier this week I took off to Vermont on a 4+ hour drive and ended up going up a windy, washboarded, dirt mountian road ~18% grade in places to Lincoln Gap on the long trail. Then took the really nice hairpin road through Appalachian Gap. Find something you like and just have fun.

Next I want a 356 coupe! :D
EdG
Attachments
spydr.png
spydr.png (47.65 KiB) Viewed 385 times
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:59 am

Ed, you da man, 4.5 hour drive in the 550! That would be a tough one! Maybe your seats are more comfy than mine, mine are bolted right to the floor so I sit as low in the car as possible. So I have the floor, fibreglass, and maybe 1" of foam between my but and the floor pan.

I agree with what I think both you and Danny are saying, these cars are for people that enjoy learning, working on mecahnical things and solving problems. If someone wants something trouble free and reliable maybe a Miata would be a better choice. Most people that get one of these and don't have the aptitude end up selling the car. Then there are those of us that are the die hards and stick with the car and all the fun and interest it offers in both driving and mechanical tinkering.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:22 am

I reworked my seat mounts a week or two back lowering the seat ~1" trying to get out of the wind more and now the surface of seat cushion is 5.5" off the floor. If I bolted directly to the floor then it would be ~1.5" lower, however, I wanted to keep my slider so I didn't. My seat cushion could be thinned, but much thinner and the the sides would be too tight on my hips.

I told the wife I was going out for a drive and that I would call if I broke down or something. I had no idea where I was going at the time. I took 2 breaks, one at each gap and on the long highway stretches I found myself wishing for cruise control so I could give my knee a rest. It has taken a long time to feel comfortable getting that far from home. I'd love to make Carlisle, but 475 miles is a long way in a spyder. I'd look goofy in it probably, but driving that distance I would need something like this https://www.galeriestradale.com/en/clas ... iglia.html
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:00 am

Well I had to play with my seats and the only way I could get low in the car was to change the seat shells, get rid of the sliders and reduce the padding. Now I sit low in the car and the wind is not an issue at all. I'm running with the plexi so its likely 1" or 2" lower than the 356 windshield. I'm about 6' tall and my set up fits me perfect. Also I got rid of the normal seat shells and bought 2 seats out of a 914 on ebay and did a very slight modification on the sides so the seat didn't hit my shifter then finished them in leather. I lifted the front area of the seat so there was some tilt back suited to my comfort. The 914 seats fit better, aren't as narrow at the sides and are much more comfortable. I figure I'm the only driver so I set it up for me! Danny's a madman and drives his 550 to Carlisle! He says its not too bad but like you say, no cruise control and unknown weather could make it a tough trip.

I think if I was to build something new I'd give serious consideration to a 904, my other favorite vintage Porsche.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ray550 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:58 am

Ed, "knowing absolutely nothing about the cars or even VWs" Sounds familiar. I drove a 63 356 a couple of decades ago. Fun car with a lot of character. Couldn't agree on a price so I never purchased. In hindsight of the way prices have gone, I missed that opportunity.

Guys, can you post some photos of your seats, or send a link. What is a comfortable head height relative to windshield height? I definitely like the look of the plexi windscreen but prefer to get out of the wind and certainly don't want stones to the forehead.
Ray550

Previous

Return to Non-Technical