Dash wiring

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Dash wiring

Postby smonop » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:30 pm

As if my fuel pump issue wasn’t enough I now have a dash wiring problem. I was checking the dash lights and removed some of the bulbs which were dim or out. My new bulbs haven’t arrived but I was checking the fuses today and noticed I have a stray wire that I can’t account for. See photos. Thoughts?
Attachments
B1D766FE-3AFB-4A73-B55D-3F9726BE2C44.jpeg
6E1647EF-2FF8-4259-9E4E-A477BE6BE748.jpeg
D72BE3A0-FA2B-4BDB-B77A-BCC537EFCCEB.jpeg
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Dash wiring

Postby EEricson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:06 pm

Oil pressure, my guess. The wire needs to be hot because the pressure sender switch on the engine provides a ground, when pressure drops too low. If you're touching that red wire to the hot terminal with the engine off and the key on, the light should glow. If the key is off and the light glows, that means you want a different hot terminal—one that's only hot when the ignition's on.

If you start the engine with the wire energized the oil light should go out.

Such is my theory, anyway.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:24 am

The oil sender should be the green light (if wired properly) that, based on your photo is working. The red light should be your charging system. If the red light terminal block has no connection then it is very likely that wire just came of its intended connection. If its not that I suggest you look at the back of the gauge and see if there is a terminal or crimp on connector missing a wire! Your post above says the bulb is out circuit is fine, how did you verify this? Is the bulb missing or just burned out and is/was there a wire connected to it?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 am

I respectfully disagree Rudy, they should be reversed. Green for Generator(nee alternator) and red for oil. Traditionally red means stop so if that light comes on STOP. It was also green on the left, red on the right, meaning GO(generator-oil). If either light comes on while driving, stop, and they both come on when the key is turned on before engine start.

If the red light has power to one side and a wire leaving the other side of the bulb, that wire should go to the oil pressure switch on the engine. They are inexpensive and fail frequently. If you turn the key on, and disconnect the wire from the switch on the engine, touch the end of the wire to the engine case or anything that is chassis ground. The light should come on. If it comes on the switch is most probably bad.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:13 am

After some thought, on my old Vintage, I used the lights that are integral to the tach for Alt and Oil. The only light used on the combi gauge was for Hi Beam.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:14 am

So, a couple of things.

I checked the green light on the right side of the dial by putting in a good bulb and it lit up (with the key turned on)
The bulb on the left doe NOT turn on unless I attach the “mystery red wire” (again, with the key turned on)
Either way, my fuel pump doesn't engage and wasn't do so before I started messing with the bulbs.
I dont recall seeing the dash lights turn red, unless that happens when the engine fails / stalls
Does my clarification help and mean anything at all?
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Okay now I officially screwed the pooch - I touched something to something while I was under the dash (forgot the key was in the on position), saw a spark and now I have no dash or headlights...here's me singing "I'm a moron and it's okay". I replaced the fuses under the dash but that didn't fix it; what did I fry? ..
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Probably an in-line fuse somewhere. Did you get smoke from the wires? You'd smell that burning plastic if you did, and that would mean some re-wiring is in order. If you didn't get that burnt plastic smell, you likely blew a hidden fuse. Happy hunting!
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Great... no smoke, spark was quick and small. I’ll call Greg at Vintage tomorrow, he’s been answering questions on the fuel pump and remembers my car & engine like he built it yesterday and it was 2006.

As far as the ‘mystery wire’, before I whacked my lights, I pulled the lights out of the dial so all here could possibly help me determine where the heck it’s supposed to go. As you can see from the photo the blue and the red mystery wire are clearly intended to provide electrical to the green light on the left of the dial if that helps...

Included a photo of my fuses (standard location under the dash for a Vintage I’m told), the two to the far left are related to the lights, needless to say my probe does not light up when I touch it to the connection.

I hate that I suck at this... thanks to all who have been helping, at minimum I’m sure learning stuff...
Attachments
D7DD4B65-4DFD-42C2-9F4B-A170D23F3B6C.jpeg
D7DD4B65-4DFD-42C2-9F4B-A170D23F3B6C.jpeg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
365AB7FE-A227-4333-98BC-3A6B1432C810.jpeg
365AB7FE-A227-4333-98BC-3A6B1432C810.jpeg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 pm

The 550 owners manual and other info I have shows the green on the right, red on the left. Also states that the green light is to indicate low oil presseure. My gauges are exact 550 repica gauges from Palo Alto Speedometer in CA. They also advised me that this is the way it was done. I'm not saying it's intuative or logical. What I am saying is that was the way it was done by VW and Porsche. So if its connected the way the original car is connected green is oil, red is alternator. Here are pics of my gauges. Maybe the info I got is wrong, I'm not saying I'm right but the manuals and replica gauge companies advised me of this.
Attachments
Gauge_3.JPG
Gauge_1.JPG
Last edited by RBP on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:22 am

Well no wonder I didn’t know what the heck was going on with the ‘red light talk’ yeah my gauge simply has two green lights one on the left one on the right in fact I don’t even know which represents what, I’d have to ask either somebody experienced here or Greg.
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:37 am

If you want it to replicate the original 550 then you should wire it the way it was originally done. If you would rather have something more intuative as Danny suggested then green for low oil doesn't make sense so configue it the way that makes sense to you. If I were you I'd trace the loose wire to find out where it comes from/goes to. Are both those green lights wired? Do both light with the ignition turned on but engine off?

Here is the actual dash layout and details on which colored light indicates which alarm.

http://www.spyderclub.com/download/file ... &mode=view
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Did more digging tonight to try to follow wiring, will post on it tomorrow. In the mean time, white and light blue wires go from my headlight switch/knob into the silver square box you see below. Possible I fried that (what is it?) and why I have no lights?
Attachments
F72D3330-F321-491F-B9B7-584B7E7C433D.jpeg
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ray550 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:28 am

That looks like a relay or electo-mechanical switch. Your headlight switch feeds power to the blue(or white) wire to turn it on. First, verify either the blue or white wire switches on/off with the headlight switch. Sometimes you can hear or feel it turn on. When it turns on, it will connect (usually) one wire to another (or a power wire to a load wire). The load being the lights. Check that the power wire has voltage and the corresponding load wire has voltage when it turns on. If the power wire does not have voltage, you will need to keep tracing back; maybe there is a fuse. If you have voltage on the power wire and no voltage on the load wire when the relay is energized, then the relay is bad.

A relay normally goes bad in two ways, either it doesn't turn on when power applied(to blue/white) or power does not get thru because the contacts inside are burnt.
Last edited by Ray550 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray550

Postby smonop » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:09 pm

OK so I got one thing solved today. Russ at fibersteel spent time with me on the phone and my alternator and oil temp gauge lights are correctly wired and operational. Both turn on with the key turned to the on position. Unfortunately my lights are still out. Ray, thank you very much for your explanation re the relay, I ordered one, it’s supposed to be here Tuesday. Till then I have no lights ( if the relay doesn’t solve it I’ll have to get somebody that knows electrical) and my car still doesn’t start (fuel pump is in route too - praying that solves that problem ). Yay me
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Next

Return to Non-Technical