Fibersteel Spyder Scripts

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Fibersteel Spyder Scripts

Postby stitchmon » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:29 am

Hi All,
I ordered a set of Fibersteel Spyder scripts; the gold ones which go on the side of the car. When Russ called me I asked if the pins would match my 2000 Vintage. He wasn't sure, but I could hear the doubt in his voice. Well, as "my" luck would have it, the scripts arrived (packaged amazingly, by the way!), and sure enough, the pins do NOT align with the holes in my car.

Have any of you ever addressed this same thing? Russ suggested that some have utilized 3M Double sided tape. If you've done this; can you please give me more details on which tape you utilized and how you put the script on?

Also, has anyone utilized one of the existing holes and drilled two new holes to mount the script without modifying the script itself?

As seen in the photo below, the top script has two thicker pins, where Russ' has three thinner pins; which don't align. (By the way - Russ' scripts are BEAUTIFUL compared to the original 20 year old scripts!)

I'm kind of at a loss!

Thanks in advance for your input!
Brandon
Attachments
Spyder-Script.jpg
Spyder Scripts
I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
stitchmon
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Fibersteel Spyder Scripts

Postby danstern » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 am

The easiest solution may be to just buy the scripts from Greg at Vintage. I'd be concerned about using tape. It will show through the script and doesn't sound permanent. You could also cut two pins off, use one pin and a dab of epoxy or other adhesive.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:55 pm

I don't know what Greg sells today, but the Scripts I got back in the mid-2000s were three threaded pins, like the ones you got from Fibersteel.

Double sided trim tape works very well, and is very thin. But a tiny bit of foam to "give" here and there, perfect for not 100% straight surfaces of our cars.

It is time-consuming to hand cut the tape, but it looks good when done right.

FYI, I had a VW Corrado repainted in the early 90s. Three years and the water-based red paint was DULL. The plastic emblems were really expensive, so I peeled the tape off them, and hand-cut new. Painstaking work but wallet-friendly. I sold the car seven years later and the emblems were still looking good and all there, tape works fine.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:11 pm

Wow. The size difference on those is really noticeable. Weird that the number of pins would be different...

So I just checked and the emblems that came with my car use FOUR pins!
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Non-Technical