Remote oil cooler

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Remote oil cooler

Postby DennyMalinky » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:10 pm

If I install a remote oil cooler do I keep the doghouse oil cooler or remove it?
DennyMalinky
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Remote oil cooler

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:18 pm

2 are better than 1 How do you plan to install the oil cooler? Go through the oil pump, have the case drilled and tapped for full flow, use the oil ports on top of the engine (they feed the dog house cooler)
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DennyMalinky » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 am

It will be mounted where the spare tire mormally sits, with the fan blowing up. It will be plumbed from the oil pump.
DennyMalinky
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Larry Jowdy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:18 am

I suspect you're using an auxiliary fan? If you're planning on the engine fan to blow air across the oil cooler fins, the large hole on the back of the fan shroud (facing the rear of the car) is an inlet. Air is drawn into the fan housing and then the fan blows the air down across the cylinders.

So, if you're going to use an auxiliary fan, you have 3 choices. The fan runs all the time, it's thermostatically controlled or, you have a switch to turn it on and off. The best method is to have it thermostatically controlled. (comes on at around 200 and turn off at 180-190)
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DennyMalinky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Larry, I am sorry I haven't replied earlier, I was up in Ohio in 16 degree weather helping my son move. I am back in Tennessee now, sunny and 65. Yes I am using the Mesa style cooler with thermostatically controlled electric fan, and a full flow remote oil filter. I should be taking her on her maiden voyage tomorrow, a 45 mile drive. I have my tool kit, fire extinguisher, fix a flat, spare clutch and accelerator cables, etc. I believe very strongly in Murphy's law, so the more I have, the less chance I will need it. All fluids changed, new Special Edition 4-2-1 ceramic coated exhaust, new tires, new shifter rod bushings, new steering box and German coupler, brake hoses, etc. I should be in good shape. Thanks again for all of your help , and everyone else who helped me with my newbie questions.
DennyMalinky
Starting Member
Starting Member

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical