Reminder: Loose electronic ignition

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Reminder: Loose electronic ignition

Postby RS-60 mark » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Here is some advice from Larry about a dozen years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8412&p=68627&hilit=loose+compufire#p68627

Over the years it comes up now and then when somebody's engine starts running ratty and (of course) they rip into their carbs right away. Then they begin aimlessly replacing coils. plug wires, and the plugs themselves; just like I did over the past couple of weeks.
I should know better! I have known about this loose electronic ignition thing ever since Larry posted it, and have always kept in in the back of my mind. I have even suggested to others with intermittently ratty running to check the ignition module before touching anything else. So, AFTER I had torn apart everything else, I checked the module (less than 5 minutes). It was totally loose and no-doubt bouncing around on the cam lobes. Duh!!! #-o

Maybe it is worth mentioning again as a reminder (especially to me).
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Reminder: Loose electronic ignition

Postby Larry Jowdy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:01 am

Mark, thanks for posting this. I first discovered the problem on Karl Dempwolf's car. He complained that his engine was running rough, would cut out and then run fine for a period of time. I removed the electronic point eliminator and discovered some minor rust on the floor plate of the distributor and the underside of the plate that holds the point eliminator. Using emery cloth, I removed the rust and re-attached the point eliminator using a drop of Loctite on the screw. Timed the engine and all was well. Karl never had the problem once that was done.

So, as Mark explained, it's a simple maintenance procedure and "everyone" should perform the task 'before you actually need to" In this case the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" DOESN'T apply
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Re: Reminder: Loose electronic ignition

Postby BB73 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:06 pm

This was the first issue I had with my car, on the way home from buying car even.

Larry helped me get the car going then. Good idea to check it before you have the problem.

Thanks again Larry
BB73
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical