ECU and emissions

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

ECU and emissions

Postby Ray550 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm looking to take over a Vintage project with a Subaru engine. My concern is registering the vehicle when complete(here in Ontario, Canada.)

I check the Highway Traffic Act and it say:
Ontario EPA:4. (1) A kit car or a rebuilt car that receives its first permit under the Highway Traffic Act on or after January 1, 1999, shall include, as part of a system to prevent or lessen the emission of contaminants, all of the original pollution control systems and components, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the motor of the rebuilt car or kit car by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (1); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3.

I don't know too much about Subaru or programming ECUs but to me, with an EJ254, this Act reads full OBD2 from knock sensor to gas cap not sealing vacuum sensor. Can someone tell me if any of the aftermarket ECUs will meet this requirement or will I have to modify a stock ECU and harness to fit the Vintage application, then deal with any codes it probably will register?

Now to make things more interesting, kit cars in Ontario do not require emissions testing, but I have heard of emissions people showing up at car shows to check smog equipment is present so i'm planning on covering the worst case scenario.

Ray
Ray550

Re: ECU and emissions

Postby DannyP » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 pm

EJ254 has a drive by wire throttle, doesn't it? I know Carey Hines at Special Edition/Beck uses factory ECU. I do believe you'll also need a catalytic converter.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: ECU and emissions

Postby Ray550 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:54 pm

I just had a quick check Special Edition/Beck website and their Spyder_Subaru parts list. I didn't find the much info about the ecu so I will have to contact them.

Definitely need a cat (or two?). I will eventually have to figure out how to fit them & muffler into the exhaust.

Thanks for the lead.
Ray550

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical