SUBARU ENGINE INLINE WATER PUMP

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

SUBARU ENGINE INLINE WATER PUMP

Postby fastspyder » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Hello

i would like to know if some of you with a Subaru Engine, installed an InLine Electric Water Pump...?????
what kind did you use and where did you installed it...???

Thank You !
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: SUBARU ENGINE INLINE WATER PUMP

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:14 am

Stick with the stock Subaru waterpump. I've been running the same pump for over 15 years without a problem. There is NO advantage to having an inline pump on a Subaru engine. Forcing too much water throug the system keeps the water from cooling down while in the radiator. Granted, the thermostat will prevent the water from rushing through the water jackets so what's the point of having an expensive in line water pump? Most of these inline pumps push about 50 gallons of water while the stock pump pushes 20 gallons. Basically to utilize the 50 gallons that the inline pumps, you'd need a radiator for a diesel truck/tractor. The gain in HP isn't worth the cost of the pump.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:45 am

Larry...

Did you removed the thermostat ??? because on hot days....i'm afraid that the Subaru at idle...will over heat...
that's why i wanted to installed the electric water pump....but if in you are saying i do not need...??? but i bought it already....
:-(

you have a Sandrail 2.5 l turbo ???? and what is the temperature on hot days...??? 90-100 F. ????
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:20 am

totally removing the thermostat is a VERY BAD IDEA. Here's why: If you remove the thermostat, the water rushes through the engine and doesn't have time to cool in the radiator. This will cause overheating of the engine. Also, the Subaru engine should run at 200 degree's for longevity. If you feel that removing the thermostat is what you want to do then disassemble the thermostat and put the plate, minus the device that opens and closes back into the system. That will slow down the water and cause it to cool in the radiator.

The engine in my sandrail is a 2.5 turbo putting out about 350 horse power. I have a radiator with thermostatically operated fans and it keeps the engine at 200 degree's all day when the weather outside is over 100 degree's farenheit or in your case 38 degree's celsius.

Return the inline pump for a refund
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby sjgharib » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:15 pm

i agree with Larry. My Subaru install has a stock 176F thermostat and runs at a solid 195-200 all day long, including a lot of time initially while I tuned the EFI to get a steady idle and proper hot restart.

Key things:
1. The install with a front radiator must be bled properly, else it will never work. I found the highest point on my car was actually the small line that runs through the throttle body... I opened that up and kept filling until water came out...
2. Having a good sized radiator and sufficiently sized fan is also important. I use a double fan and a 13x26 sirocco radiator (the double was necessary. A wimpy single fan was my first choice and didn't work well at all).
3. Fans and radiators mean nothing unless you have sufficient inlet AND outlet area. I am pulling enough air through the stock oil cooler grill, and I opened up the area in front of the suspension tubes so it dumps into the region of the steering linkages.
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby fastspyder » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:01 am

the gear water pump on the Subaru at idle pull out about 5 GPM, at 3000 rpm about 25 GPM and at 6000 rpm about 50 GPM...and i'm running a stainless piping of 1.5'' diam. from rear end to the front Griffin rad. ( p/n: 2-28185-XC) of 13'' X 22'' with 2 rows of 1'' with 1 huge shrouded fan supposed to be rated for engine between 300 and 400 HP.
i just tought that normaly in the Subaru impreza the distance from the in/outlet of the engine up to the rad. is very close...about 10''-12'' and even less....and me i'm running about 7-8 feet long...so i was wondering that the small subaru gear pump would not be suffient of pressure and volume to go thru the entire system propely to keep my engine ''cool'' at all time in the summer....that.s why i bought the inline water pump....but as you are saying...i will return it...for a refund...
i did my intallation like: sjgharib... I am pulling enough air through the stock front bumper oil cooler grill, and I opened up the area in front of the suspension tubes so it dumps into the region of the steering linkages....no choice anyway other wise the rad. fan shroud wont fit in and the air would not escape freely....but as you're saying...i will check my thermostat temperature rate ( 176 deg.) as you said...and will keep it in place and see what will be the temperature on hot summer day....
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby sjgharib » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:51 am

I think the thing you have to remember is that all of that line is basically horizontal, and for most of it, there are few bends. So you've only got frictional losses, versus hydrostatic pressure from elevation changes. Lots of bends or large elevation changes would be the problem, but you don't have either.

Ultimately the issue is ensuring sufficient "delta T" between the inlet and outlet of the radiator, so that relatively cool water is returning to the engine and taking away excess heat.

So the way to maximize "delta T" would be:
1. Sufficient airflow & good airflow routing
2. Large surface area
3. *Correct* water flow velocity

The good news is that if you over-do most of this, then the thermostat will correctly regulate the temperature. So I tried to maximize within the envelope available - biggest radiator I could fit, largest fans I could fit.

Also, ensuring that heated air is ducted out and not allowed to recirculate back through the radiator is important as well - i.e you want to either box the outlet side of the fans, or create a virtual duct between the front of the radiator and the grill.

I honestly haven't had it running at idle when it's 90+F outside, so we shall see if I did a good enough job!

Cheers,
Simon
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby fastspyder » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:30 am

on top of it....the 1.5'' diam. stainless steel piping pass outside, under the car....the two pipes runs are fixed to the 1/4 aluminium plate under the car....so the air will cool the tubbing in the means time...with the front rad.

Hope you are right...because i just return back my inline water pump to summit racing store.... :-k
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 am

I"m sure you did a good job and in reality not much thought needs to be spent thinking out the cooling system. A few years back, one of our members came to me with a Beck that had a Subaru engine installed by a now defunct company in Colorado. They used a junk yard radiator and mounted it horizontally above the engine. Around town, the temeratures were OK but once on the highway, it overheated. Eventually, I bought an aluminum replica of a Scirroco radiator with 2 fans from Summit. I then cut a hole in the trunk so the air could pass through the radiator and vent to the area in front of the axle tubes. In addition, I cut out the 'fake' oil cooler grill and installed an aftermarket grill from Carey Hines over the cut out area. The aftermarket grill had the slots cut out and allowed sufficient air to pass to the radiator. I used -20 hose and routed them through the passenger compartment and terminated at the engine. To help with purging air in the system, I purchsed an inline radiator filler assembly (see: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-6 ... QgodJ3IAMA ) This allowed the radiator filler to be at the highest point thus allowing air bubbles to float to the top. I warned the owner to NEVER open the cap on the radiator and only use the remote in line cap. (if you open the radiator cap, it will lose water as the radiator is lower than the engine)

Once I finished, the owner drove home to Simi Valley in 106 degree weather and the engine didn't run over 190 degree's The following week, he took the car to Palm Springs where it was 110 degree's with no problems. (that included in town driving and highway driving) So long as the fans are thermostatically controlled you'll have no problems with heat while the car is at idle or on the highway.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:07 am

thank You...

thinking of that...you just remind me that my fan on my rad. from Griffin....have no thermostatic switch...that came with it ...
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 am

You can do several things, drill and tap the crossover water tube and insert a thermostat switch, the other is to heliarc in a bung on the radiator about 2 inches down from the top and screw in a switch or buy a " Hayden" switch. I used this switch on the installation I wrote about. See: http://www.summitracing.com/search/prod ... n-controls
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Thank You Larry....

i will use the '' Hayden Electric Fan Controls 3651''...seems the perfect one for my needs
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby fastspyder » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 am

Larry....
The fact that the subaru engine have the thermostat on the cool side...where the water came back from radiator,instead of on the hot water that comming out of the engine....as normal cars...your are saying that i should put my fan thermostatic probe on the hot inlet of my rad. or on the cooled outlet....where the water going back to the engine..????
My rad have the hot inlet on top right and the cooled water outlet is on the bottom right.
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:39 am

The probe should go about 1 to 2 inches below the hot water inlet on the radiator.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Thank You!
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Next