SUBARU ENGINE INLINE WATER PUMP

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: SUBARU ENGINE INLINE WATER PUMP

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying but,,, The car that I did the work on was not a sandrail, it was a Beck Spyder with a Subaru Engine, I'm sure if there was enough room in that car, there will be room in your car.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Must have an other way to do this...all my engine is build up...and piping set up....you are saying to reverse the water pipe manifold 180 degrees....big job....

How SUBARU Guy like... Sjgharib , Tiny auto or all Others ...... managed they're installations....????

How they removed the air...????
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Greenberg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:12 pm

I ran subie as well. This is how i removed all air. My rad was in the front of the car. On the rad i had a rad cap. On the water crossover on the engine, i welded on another bung and rad cap. Then i filled up the coolant until it came out the front rad cap bung. Then screwed on the cap in the front and slowly continued to fill the coolant until it reached the top of the crossover bung, screwed that cap on and ran it. Zero air or overheating ever. The main reason i placed a bung on the water crossover was that this became the highpoint of the cooling system and i knew it would make it a lot easier to fill from the highpoint rather than from the rad which was lower than mid way below where the engine was sitting on a horizontal plane.
Ya gotta drive it like ya stole it!
Greenberg
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:35 am

Roughly the same as what i explained except on the customers Spyder, I just added a "T" coming out of the crossover water distribution tube that had provisions for a radiator cap.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 am

There is another way of getting the air out of the engine. Raise the front of the car so the radiator is higher than the engine, ifyou can't do that then raise it as high as you can. Fill the radiator then start he engine and let it run for a few minutes. shut off the engine and remove one of the sensors located in the cross over water tube. if there is air in the cooling system, it will rise to the water distribution tube and by removing a temp sensor or pipe plug, it will evacuate the air.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:34 pm

i will try that next week end....

but the fact that the throttle body have hot water going thru...that make that section the highest point of the engine when the car is on ground....????

Also the r crossover water tube you are talking about is water pipe manifold (2) on the picture... under the intake....????
the problem is at the water exhaust end out of the engine that goes to the front rad. is almost at the mid hight of the engine and to be able to installed the pipe section with a cap,i need to raise that end pipe higner that the engine...more 90 degrees i put in the system...harder is for the water pump to make a good flow....

i will raise the front so the front rad will be higher then the complete engine full the rad. and unplug the pipe going for the heaterthat you see on the right hand of the picture....and let the water flow out untill no air....right ???
Attachments
water pipe.jpg
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WasserSpyder » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:51 am

We have bled Suby systems in all the ways listed above and then I bought a Snap-On coolant vacuum. I'd never do it any other way now. Just vacuum out the system using a compressor and the Snap on tool and then put your suction side in a bucket of clean coolant and turn the knob... done... no air... go drive...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog
Carey Hines
Special Edition, Inc.
www.beckspeedster.com
WasserSpyder
Moderator-Contributing Vendor
Moderator-Contributing Vendor

Postby sjgharib » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 am

Airlift is similar and a bit cheaper...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IH ... 6BMVNKX0H5

However, I did it differently:
1. Lower engine pipe to lower connection on radiator through drivers side framerail
2. Upper pipe to upper connection on radiator through passenger side framerail
Radiator was a VW Scirocco, no fill cap, bleed hose plugged.
3. Coolant expansion tank with pressure cap and 2 fittings (one side, one bottom) connected to the heater tubes (tube that snakes to the lower connection by the thermostat to the upper fitting, the upper cross tube to the bottom fitting)

http://www.jegs.com/i/Canton+Racing+Pro ... 4AodREsArQ

Make sure the expansion tank is higher than the engine!

Fill using airlift. Start engine, then bleed by disconnecting small coolant hose near the throttlebody, since that's the highest point in the system...
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby fastspyder » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:21 am

finelly i bleed the water system , now no air in it....and the water pump is very strong and no need in line electric water pump....the only problem was air....i bleed it with the front upper then the engine at the front rad....
now the temperature is center of my dash gage and is about 210-215 f. in water pipe...with original 178 f. thermostat.
i bought few day ago the rad. purge kit Wasser told me ....will received it in 14-20 day from e-bay. but no need...
when i go on the road...the temp. moduled a bit around the center of my dash gage.....i'm happy.
Very powerfull...300Hp. Rocket car....
Thank You! all....
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Greenberg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:39 am

=D>
Ya gotta drive it like ya stole it!
Greenberg
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby PeterL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Larry Jowdy wrote:...To help with purging air in the system, I purchsed an inline radiator filler assembly (see: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-6 ... QgodJ3IAMA ) This allowed the radiator filler to be at the highest point thus allowing air bubbles to float to the top. I warned the owner to NEVER open the cap on the radiator and only use the remote in line cap. (if you open the radiator cap, it will lose water as the radiator is lower than the engine)

Where exactly did you install the Moroso inline filler? I've been struggling to get the cooling system completely filled on my Subaru-engine Beck...

Thanks.
PeterL
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:29 pm

As close to the engine as possible Or the highest spot you can find
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby WILL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:10 pm

sjgharib:

Good To Hear An Engineer Chime In Once In A While
WILL
WILL
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 pm

When I Sube'd my TD I installed six bleeder valves in the system: one at every high point in the system. The valves are stainless and made for old iron house radiators, like these: http://www.parksupplyofamerica.com/gpro ... W&addons=y
I welded bungs on the steel lines or threaded the aluminum couplers. My radiator cap is the high point of my system but if it wasn't I would just fill from the stock Legacy overflow bottle.
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical