SUBARU ENGINE INLINE WATER PUMP

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: SUBARU ENGINE INLINE WATER PUMP

Postby sjgharib » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:32 pm

What ECU are you running?

On my megasquirt I used a programmable output to switch the fan on at a set coolant temperature.

The stock temp sensor is on the top cross tube on the engine, which is the hot side of the engine, so that will give you a good temperature...
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby fastspyder » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:20 pm

i'm using the original ECU that came with the front clip of Japan (JDM) i bought....

i will check tomorrow...on the top water manifold about the probe you are telling me...Thank's

on Summit Racing there is two model of Fan Controler On/Off,

- Derale Performance Deluxe Adjustable Controllers with Pipe Threaded Probes 16749, 150-240 degrees F

- Hayden Electric Fan Controls 3651, 160-210 degrees F

i guess i will buy the Derale...more ajustement....for the same price...
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:30 am

My aftermarket ECU had 2 GPO's (General Purpose Outputs) One was to control the fuel pump and originally, the other was used to control the radiator fans. Later, I hooked up what is basically a fuel injector to the pressure side of the turbo. The ECU electronically opens the injector and bleeds off pressure from the turbo to the waste gate. When I started using the 2nd GPO for that valve, I switched to a VW Scirroco screw in switch to control the fans. My radiator had provisions for a 20mm ???? threaded switch.

When I installed a Fiat 2000 cc engine/transmission and rear axle in my brother-in-laws 1955 Morris Minor Traveler, I used the Hayden through the radiator switch and it works flawlessly.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:06 am

i found two fan controler at Summit Racing...

Hayden Electric Fan Controls 3651
$45.95

Fan Switch, Thermostatic, Thread-In, Adjustable 160-210 Degrees F, Kit
Thermal Switch Style: Adjustable fan control kit
Sending Unit Style: Thread-in
Sending Unit Included: Yes
Adjustment Range (F): 160-210 degrees F
Relay Included: Yes
Wiring Harness Included: Yes
Manual Override Switch Included: No
Air Conditioning Relay Included: Yes
Quantity: Sold as a kit.
Make sure that your cooling fans turn off and on with Hayden electric fan control kits. These Hayden automotive electric fan kits are designed to allow your electric fan to turn off and on at certain temperatures. Hayden offers these electric fan kits for single or dual fan applications. All of these Hayden electric fan kits are compatible with their own fans and original equipment cooling fans. They include all necessary wiring, relays, circuit breakers, sending units, hardware for installation, and detailed instructions.

And...the one i will get for the ajustable range more then the other one...

Derale Performance Deluxe Adjustable Controllers with Pipe Threaded Probes 16749
Actual item may vary.
$43.95

Fan Control, Thermostatic, Adjustable, 150 to 240 Degrees, Kit
Manufacturer's Part Number: 16749
Part Type: Fan Switches, Thermal
Product Line: Derale Performance Deluxe Adjustable Controllers with Pipe Threaded Probes
Summit Racing Part Number: DER-16749
Thermal Switch Style: Adjustable fan control kit
Sending Unit Style: Thread-in
Sending Unit Included: Yes
Sending Unit Thread Size: 3/8-18 NPT
Fan Quantity: Single/Dual
Adjustment Range (F): 150-240 degrees F
Relay Included: Yes
Wiring Harness Included: Yes
Manual Override Switch Included: No
Air Conditioning Relay Included: No
Quantity: Sold as a kit.
Notes: 40/60 amp relay with air conditioning override circuit. Includes 30 amp fuse. Fan amperage is critical with this unit, most dual fans with large amperage draws will require the use of two controllers.
Derale Cooling Products deluxe adjustable fan controllers with pipe-threaded probes are installed in water jackets in the intake manifold or engine block. They allow fan activation to adjust between 150 and 240 degrees F. These fan controllers are suitable for race and street rod applications
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 am

So does this mean you have a threaded bung to accept the thread in sensor?
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 pm

no....i will make one just before the hot inlet of the rad. easy to do....
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Jake Raby » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 pm

I have had outstanding luck with the EWP products from Davies Craig of Australia. These water pumps are microprocessor controlled and throttle when temperatures reach a user determined value. The test work that I have carried out with these in my Subaru engines using our 104mm Nickies cylinders have been impressive. This is a bore size that no one else uses in the Suby because its not easy to do and requires an exceptionally strong billet aluminum sleeve to stay round over time, Nikisil plating helps too.

Davies Craig has recently finished their EWP 150 which I am slotted to test very soon in comparison to their EWP115, but I can't imagine it being any better.

I agree that coolant volume thats too great will boost pressure so much that the coolant does not have time to react to the cooling capabilities of a radiator or carry heat away from engine internals. This is why an intelligent system that throttles both the flow of coolant and fan speed is so useful. I have found that one of my packages that does not position radiators in the most optimum location requires the use of the EWP115, before we installed it the coolant temp would hit 230 easily just cruising down the road, with the EWP set to keep a max temp of 195 we never even hear the fans that are set to 205F come on, before the Dakota Digital programmer was kicking those fans on after the first 10 minutes of driving, even in cooler weather. The majority of my testing of this was last summer in July, when we had the two week stretch of 105+F temperatures.

The EWP is allowing me to build a cooling system that would have never worked otherwise.
Jake Raby
Raby Engine Development
http://www.rabyenginedevelopment.com
Vintage VW, Porsche and Subaru Engine Development
Jake Raby
Contributing Vendor
Contributing Vendor

Postby fastspyder » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:42 am

on my Water pipe manifold, located under the intake manifold i found out a second port about 3/8'' that i can use to installed my fan controler probe instead of making one.....near the rad. inlet hot port.
the fact that my stainless steel water pipe pass under the car will cool off the water inside i bite and have a delta between the water pipe manifold and the rad. inlet hot port...

what do you think ????
Attachments
water pipe.jpg
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby sjgharib » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:06 am

I'd offer that having it close to the engine is better, since you're then measuring and triggering off the item that you really want to control (the engine!). All the downstream cooling effects would just then become part of your cooling solution.

On that picture there is also a small port near the stock temp sensor. Mine wasn't connected to anything, so was a hole I actually needed to plug. It worked out that my VDO temp sensor (for my gauge) was a perfect fit.
But anywhere along that tube would be fine, and give you probably the best indication of true engine water temp...
sjgharib
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby fastspyder » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16 am

my water pipe manifold have already a wired sensor that goes to my ''idiot'' light in my gauge in the dash....next to that ECU water temp. sensor...
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby fastspyder » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:22 pm

I "m UNABLE to removed completly the air out of my Subaru engine.....

i lift the front of the car a lot higher then the rear engine and try to removed the air..... i also put a funnel on a 24 inches stand pipe on the coolant resevoir for the turbo ( the small metal container with a radiator cap ,fwd right of turbo ) and also try the huge yellow funnel kit to burp the coolant system....still air in it....and overheat ....
when the engine gage goes passed the haft...i shut the engine.....
The Guy that sold me the engine said it<s because i need a more powerfull water pump....that the Subaru pump is not strong enough to flow the coolant to the front going thu the rad and come back to the termostat....back in the engine....
Porsche Spyder 550 Subaru engine guy....
Any ideas....
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am

Your water pump is strong enough, you're just not getting all the air out of the system. ON the last conversion I did, I used this device http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance- ... 6/10002/-1 and positioned it right at the engine. With this, you never have to remove the radiator cap on the radiator just this cap. It also allowed all the air to escape the engine when I filled the cooling system with coolant.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 am

Larry,can you send me some pictures of your set up...????
You probably need to plug it at the water engine outlet
but raise it Above ....all the engine height...???

Even with that pipe....i still news to rénové most of the air out....

I know you still have my e-mail....

Thank You...
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am

Unfortunately I don't have any photo's but I installed a whole new cooling system on a customers car by removing the intake manifold and turning the water distribution so the outlet faces the flywheel. I then attached a piece of hose to the water outlet then the "T" adapter to the hose then the hose to the radiator. Remember, top to top and bottom to bottom in other words, the top water hose on the radiator should be attached to the upper water distribution tube and the bottom radiator hose to the water pump.

By placing the "T" adapter at the water distribution tube, it puts the radiator cap at the highest point of the engine and thus, it will allow air bubbles to rise to the top and be expelled through the radiator cap opening.
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby fastspyder » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:32 pm

The problem is the Space that you had with your sandrail....i do not have that space on a Spyder.

How SUBARU Guy like... Sjgharib , Tiny auto or all Others ...... managed they're installations....????

How they removed the air...????

The water pass by The throttle body...so that's the highest point on the engine....so the small metal reservoir tank beside...with à stand pipe should do the job....but my engine overheat,needle pass the center of the gage and changed sound....du to the heat raising....so no time for the air /water to travel all the system....

From the engine outlet...i have à "S" rubber pipe going downunder the car connected to a 1.250" dia. solid stainless pipe to the front rad.
top port....then the bottin port goes back to the bottom of the engine hook up to the thermostat....
fastspyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical