new engine/starter grinding

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: new engine/starter grinding

Postby RicardoSwe » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Back to this - updating -- I've been away from Spyder things for quite a while (vacation, etc.)

The grinding continues. Most recently I measured the "fit" of the starter "shoulder" with the transmission case hole.
Transmission shoulder ID = 2.95"
Starter shoulder OD = 2.90"
So, the fit has 0.05" to move. So, I've moved it ---

I used a lever to again push the starter away from the drive shaft, thinking that would help dimensionally. I put in a thin paper "shim" on the hole shoulder to try to hold it in that position.

Result -- no remarkable change. The starter still grinds. Maybe 30% of the starts.

Next will be to put a stock starter in, using the bushing in the transmission case. (Thanks Ralph. I'll get your starter back to you soon.)
Richard --
RicardoSwe
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RicardoSwe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:36 am

A bit late in posting this.

Last June, while I had the car at Vintage Motorcars (aka Vintage Spyders) for changing the gear shift to the PBS cable system, I had Greg check the grinding issue. He solved the problem. It was due to a poor flywheel (Chinese? It was supposed to have been German made.) The flywheel teeth were too narrow. Greg replaced the flywheel with a new German flywheel.

Problem solved!
Richard --
RicardoSwe
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby EEricson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks for that update. That's a long time to live with that trouble. And it's a good thing to see the problem resolved and learn what the issue finally was. That helps everyone.

Drive fast! Take chances!
EEricson
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical