Engine tin

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Engine tin

Postby albaran » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:31 am

I have a tin piece that came with cylinder covers that goes under the pushrods. Is this piece actually necessary for our cars that have the engines out in the open? The reason I ask is because mine rattles a little bit. It appears that the engine would cool better without these.
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Engine tin

Postby beck688 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:11 pm

That piece is essential it distributes the air across the bottom of the cylinder.
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby WILL » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Yes. That Piece Should Be Installed. It's Purpose Is To Force The Cooling Air To Go Around And Through The Outer Cylinder Fins And Then Exit At The Bottom Center Of Each Of The Two Cylinders. If Not Installed, The Air Will Take The Easiest Path Down Center Between The Two Cylinders, And Not Cool As well.
There Is Also A Small Piece To Do The Same For The He.ad Itself
Attachments
Cool 2.jpg
Cool 2.jpg (3.14 KiB) Viewed 9210 times
WILL
WILL
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby WILL » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:41 pm

Here's .A Better Photograph
Attachments
cool3.jpg
WILL
WILL
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Carlos G » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Having Sled tins would aid in cooling even further, but the Sled tins on a regular VW engine aren't reversible, so they can't be mounted on our engine configuration.

I have made cardboard templates for my engine. This is no easy task with the engine installed. I'm going to cut them out of some thin metal and install them at some point. Extra cooling is one reason for me doing this. The other reason is that I have to travel over some gravel to get to my house, and the air shooting downward, makes a mess in my engine compartment.

When I get around to do this, I'll post up some pictures.
Carlos G
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:19 am

There are 2 different kinds of tin as you described. The first is similar to the one shown above. The second is called "cool tin" It came as standard on Type 3 engines (flat design with the fan on the crank shaft pulley) Millions of these so called "cool tins" were produced and a company called "Johnny's Speed and Chrome" in Buena Park, CA started calling them "cool tin" and marketed them as a replacement for Type 1 engines stating that they cooled better than the small deflector in the above photo. (Johnny's is now out of business)

Over the many years of selling the "cool tin" many now believe that they are the greatest. Certainly can't hurt but all the studies I've read don't show a temperature difference between the two.

photo of "cool tin" https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+cool ... MfCEmwM%3A

Photo of standard air defltector: https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+cool ... 0EvpVyM%3A
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby WILL » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:21 am

Carlos G
Making Mid Engine Sled Tins Sounds Like a Cool Idea.
I Am Using The Top Part Of Old Sled Tins As The Rear Bottom Cylinder Tin Right Now.

I Hope You Can Post Some Pics Of What You Come Up With.
WILL
WILL
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical