Can't catch a break

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Can't catch a break

Postby dlearl476 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Mtflyr wrote:Drummerskey,
Some friends came over to help me and turns out at least it appears to have been a fouled spark plug and somewhat finicky idle mix issue with the carbs.
Thanks again to all here who really helped out esp Larry.

Pete

If it were me, before I did anything else, I'd put some SeaFoam in it and give it an Italian Tune Up. Better yet, find a shop the sells B&G products and run a can of 44K or Supercharge2 through it. Next, I'd get the PureGas app for my phone and find a station that sells ethanol free gasoline. Unless you have a high compression motor you can run Ethonal free mid grade for a couple of pennies per gallon more than premium without any problems.

Modern gas is crap. Especially modern gas with ethanol. IMHO, Stabil doesn't "stabilize" it enough. I used to go through this with my carbureted motorcycles every spring until I stopped using gas with ethanol.

Then, if you still have a problem, you can wade in with both feet. My guess is that there's shellac all over your main and idle circuits in your carbs from the gas sitting in them all winter.

Edit:That said, Carey's guys just spent several hours cleaning the rust out if my tank, but my car had sat almost 4 years. So it's kind of understandable.
Last edited by dlearl476 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlearl476

Postby 550SpyderinPA » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Yep, I second that. Take the carbs off and go through them on a workbench. The float bowls could have junk in them. If you've ruled the tank out, it's just a matter of tracing the path of fuel from the front to the rear of the car...

And I'll also say that I run ethanol free in all 5 of my air-cooled VW's with no problems whatsoever. Ethanol is the devil...
550SpyderinPA
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby dlearl476 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:58 pm

550SpyderinPA wrote:Yep, I second that. Take the carbs off and go through them on a workbench. The float bowls could have junk in them. If you've ruled the tank out, it's just a matter of tracing the path of fuel from the front to the rear of the car...

And I'll also say that I run ethanol free in all 5 of my air-cooled VW's with no problems whatsoever. Ethanol is the devil...

I don't know about the devil, but I do know it attracts water, especially in a partially-filled tank, especially in winter. It's not a problem in a car like my ML500 that I fill up every other day driving for Uber, but in my cars and bikes that sit for weeks/months at a time, it's murder.
dlearl476

Postby RBP » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:48 am

Just wondering, do all the fuels contain ethanol? Do they state the fact on the pump? I run the premium pump gas but I've never seen any notices on the pumps regarding this. Typically say at Shell there would be pumps for bronze, silver and gold. Some stations have a separate pump and it is clearly called ethanol kind of a green color handle, it states its an alcohol gas blend.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 am

The fuels also differ geographically. Shell typically only uses ethanol in regular grade fuels, in specific markets including the Lower Fraser Valley and Southern Ontario; ethanol is used in all regular grade fuels in the United States, regardless of the refinery of origin.

Octane ratings for regular, mid-grade and premium Shell fuels across Canada are 87/89/91. In the United States, an 85-octane fuel is available in some markets of higher elevation such as the Rockies and premium ratings for premium can range from 91 to 93, depending upon the market.

Shell says that there are environmental differences between the regulations as well. “The federal limit on benzene in gasoline is currently lower in Canada than the U.S., so our levels of benzene are lower; typically we are also lower in sulphur content than in the U.S.”
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Pretty much all pump gas has at least 10% ethanol unless it says that it does not. There will usually be a sticker on the pump saying something to the effect of "Ethanol free gas, for motorcycles, lawn mowers, classic cars and boats only". I think all of the issues that Drummerskey had could probably be traced back to ethanol fuel and storage.

Here is a good website to find non-oxy fuel based on your state.
http://pure-gas.org
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby dlearl476 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:28 pm

TSchommer wrote:Pretty much all pump gas has at least 10% ethanol unless it says that it does not. There will usually be a sticker on the pump saying something to the effect of "Ethanol free gas, for motorcycles, lawn mowers, classic cars and boats only". I think all of the issues that Drummerskey had could probably be traced back to ethanol fuel and storage.

Here is a good website to find non-oxy fuel based on your state.
http://pure-gas.org

They also have a great app that I mentioned before. It's how I track my fuel mileage, as it has a page for that.

Here in Utah, there is no disclaimer on the pump. I think the availability of ethanol free was due to the outcry of citizens with older vehicles as all of our gas is mandated to use ethanol. It used to be winter only, when weather conditions caused temperature inversions, but it's now year round.*

PS, I think there is confusion going on as some folks are posting Canadian information. AFAIK, all US gas has at least 10% ethanol as you stated, mandated by the EPA.

*It also used to be only in urban areas. If you got out in the country, they didn't have ethanol fuels. But those days are gone. It's now statewide.
Last edited by dlearl476 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlearl476

Postby dlearl476 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:31 pm

RBP wrote:Just wondering, do all the fuels contain ethanol? Do they state the fact on the pump? I run the premium pump gas but I've never seen any notices on the pumps regarding this. Typically say at Shell there would be pumps for bronze, silver and gold. Some stations have a separate pump and it is clearly called ethanol kind of a green color handle, it states its an alcohol gas blend.

Here in the US Green Handle connotates diesel and on pumps that dispense both, it's a separate hose. Many stations have completely different pumps for diesel. Here in the US, we also don't have colors, we have 87, 89, 91 octane V-Power (V-Power is 93 Octane in some states.)

Most stations that carry Ethonal Free gasoline only carry it in mid-grade. Some places (that also offer racing fuel) have 91-93 octane ethanol-free but it's very pricey, in line with VP racing gas. ($5-$6/gal)
dlearl476

Postby Carlos G » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Here in North Carolina, there is a disclaimer "May contain up to 10% ethanol" on the pumps that contain it.
The non-ethanol are marked "non-ethanol".
Around here, non-ethanol is available in 89 or 90 octane, but there is a station near by that has 93.
This station also has 110 race fuel for $8 a gallon.
I only run the 93 corn free in my car, but will in a pinch, run the 93 with ethanol to be able to get to a station or home that has 93 corn free.

The site that was mentioned above, is a great resource. http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC
You'll have to double check the stations. I've found some that aren't 100% accurate.
I use the "map" mode to find the stations near me or wherever I'll be traveling.
Carlos G
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:01 pm

RBP who asked the question is in Ottawa, Canada ! Canada has its own rules and regulations and in Quebec ethanol constitutes 5% not 10% as in the US.

In Montreal and perhaps in Ontario the ethanol is added to low grade fuel (regular) and typically not to premium i.e. 91 octane.

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I fueled up my daily driver today and looked for any indication of ethanol in any of the gas, regular, mid grade and premium. There was no notation on any of them.

Also there is only one pump handle for the 3 grades, the colors are on the pump where you select what you want to pump. At shell as per my example above they refer to their grades as bronze, silver and gold, bronze is yellow, silver is blue and gold is red.

Again thanks for the info, I figure we must not have the ethanol issues here so I'm clear.

Also RVosari, where are you located?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:06 am

In Connecticut where all grades of gas have (up to) 10% ethanol [:0]

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:00 pm

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CT

There are not many, but there are a few gas stations in Connecticut that sell corn free gas.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RVosari » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:26 pm

You can get ethanol free race gas in many places...I have personally not had problems with my Spyder and gasoline. Previously I specialized in V-8 Lambos and when MTBE was out and Ethanol in - drivability issues took quite a while to sort-out.

Gas may be gas, but Sunoco and Shell seem to have better additive packages at least in NY and CT.

ReV
RVosari
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 am

Rein, you are right about that. An instructor of automotive studies at New Haven University told me that he only uses Sunoco and Shell in his older vehicles (Morgan).
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical