Can't catch a break

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Can't catch a break

Postby beck688 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:27 am

The Spyders aren't older cars the seals etc used in the carbs and fuel pumps are current materials, even the rebuild kits I've bought for my 78 rolls are made from modern materials. It isn't worth the trouble seeking out alcohol free gas. I worry more about using food crops for ethanol. My Spyder is about 16 years old still running on the original carb seals no problem. BTW stay away from 100 ll av fuel to - Av fuel is not car fuel.
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Mtflyr » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:49 am

Hey Beck688,
Not sure I a agree with the gasket material being immune to ethanol gas. Well, at least the gasket material that was in my EMPI HPMX 44's. Last year my top end gaskets of both carbs really looked like wet toilet paper and fouled up both carbs. I'm guessing it was the gas I used that did it. Hopefully the carb rebuild gaskets are better and I do now use 2 oz or so of Stabil 360 every tank full.

When you have time I would like to get with you more on your awesome aluminum interior work you did on yours.

Thanks,

Pete
Last edited by Mtflyr on Mon May 01, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mtflyr
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby TSchommer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 pm

I don't think that ethanol gas will cause too many issues if a car is always being driven, but I think it's best to avoid it if you can, especially during storage months. I have a few stations that carry the good stuff close to my house.
TSchommer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:38 am

In old cars it will turn all of the rubber seals in the fuel system to much. Modern synthetics do do
a lot better
Oh sh*t -- It was rocket science!
That's how my brain works. It's not a perfect organ.
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Previous

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical