Jamar Shifter

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Jamar Shifter

Postby GoldBarBill » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Is there anybody or does anybody know anybody in the Greater Seattle area who can adjust a Jamar shifter? I am told that the VW guys know how they work. Or.......am I on a fools errand and need to go directly to a cable shifter?

Bill
GoldBarBill

Re: Jamar Shifter

Postby Larry Jowdy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby egrant5329 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:39 am

I'd go straight to a cable shifter. I had my jamar working pretty well and thought it was great, but eventually switched to a cable shifter. It works better, feels solid, adjusts easier, honestly feels tighter than the jamar and I don't have to mess with it like I did with the Jamar. Something to consider. My only complaint with the cable shifter is the box takes up more room.

If I were going to stick to a solid bar shifter I would get fiber steels. It moves the rod from under the shifter box to above it, which reverses the shifter action and gets rid of all the complicated mechanism.
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 am

If you do decide to go to a cable shifter. There are a couple on the market but by far, the best I've found is available via Special Edition in Indiana. I've installed a few of these on customer cars and not only was I happy but so was the customer. Call Carey or Kevin Hines at (574) 546-4656
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Postby DannyP » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:39 pm

I had a Jamar on the old car. It worked perfectly after I figured out how to adjust it. I would put the transmission in first. Then take a really STRONG bungee and pull the lever toward the drivers side, I hooked it to the cockpit bulkhead or you can use the frame rail. Then loosen the jam nut at the shaft as it goes into the direction reversing unit on the trans. Grab the rod with vice grips and tighten the jam nut, do not allow the shaft to turn. Done. DO NOT try to adjust any of the heim joints on the Jamar itself, they are factory adjusted to move just enough( I tried to change them, trust me, just don't!). You may have to do it a couple times until you get it right, there is a very small sweet spot.

Also, make sure of two things: One, the U-joints aren't worn/loose, and two, the unit hasn't rotated on the transmission. That will scew up your day.

My new car has the PBS cable shifter. It's VERY positive, smooth, and precise. Easy to adjust, and it stays that way. I highly recommend it.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 am

I have the Jamar shifter and to be honest it works perfect. I noticed 2 things, for one it needs to be bolted very solidly so there is no movement in the shifter box at the floor and 2nd, clean and grease the heim joints! Big difference once you do these things. So far so good but if it starts giving me problems I'll have to consider the options as well. One thing I like is that it feels nice and solid, the Brandwood cable shifter I had in my other 550 had more "stretch" or flexibility / slop in the shifter.
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:11 am

Oh yeah, my U-joints started to wear on mine. I took them off and tightened them up with a hammer. Then cleaned them up, greased them, and booted them with a piece of bicycle inner tube and a couple ty-raps. Worked extremely well to keep them clean and lubed.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RS-60 mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:28 am

I have a Jamar as well, and I have no motive to change. It is easy to adjust, once you get the knack. The trick, as mentioned above, is to hold the cockpit shifter firmly in 1st gear position with the Jamar loose on the tailshaft. Manually put the transmission in 1st, then tighten the Jamar on the tailshaft. Make sure you have enough throw to make it solidly from 1st the 2nd and you should be pretty close on first try. Also, as mentioned above, the Jamar tolerates NO slop in the linkage through the heims and u-joints.
RS-60 mark
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical