Cable shifter install

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Cable shifter install

Postby GoldBarBill » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 am

I am about to begin the install of a cable shifter in my Spyder. I am giving up on the Jamar as it shifts so badly and three emails to Jamar got zero responses. I can see how the Jamar shift rod attaches to the shifter in the cockpit and on to the tail shaft device. Does it remove by simply pulling it out from the back? Is it one or two piece. And, do the two cables pass through the hole in the firewall and then up over the engine tin to the rear of the transaxxle? THANX! Bill Conner Gold Bar, WA 425-445-5878
GoldBarBill

Re: Cable shifter install

Postby steiner » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:10 pm

yes, route thru the hole in the lower firewall, mine routed to the left (drivers side) lower area along frame to avoid exhaust etc. Yank out the seats for easier routing. lots of flexibility for locating the cables.
- steiner
2001 Vintage Spyder
2005 A8L
1997 A6
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins torque monster
1962 Impala SS "air ride"
1970 GMC rat rod short bed with 6.0 LQ4/4L60E
steiner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby GoldBarBill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm

I see the area you are referring to. When I look at the firewall from insude the car, there appears to be a shell over it with a space between. In the engine bay, there are various tubes and things coming through the firewall in the area near the frame tubes. How do I avoid hitting them when I attack the firewall area from inside the car? Goldbarbill
GoldBarBill

Postby egrant5329 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 am

Bill,
My jamar was really old so it may be different from what you have. The rod on my jamar was thicker on both ends and could not be pulled straight out. The thin section of the rod was right beside the oil pan and it was 2 tight fitting pieces with a small pin holding them together. I knocked it out and then could easily remove the rod.

I attached a pic of how Carey's shifter routes through the wall.
Ed
Attachments
cableshifter.JPG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby CKissick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:30 pm

I just installed a cable shifter from Brandwood and can't figure out how to adjust it. The instructions are a little confusing. Can anyone here explain it clearly? Or do you live near me in Half Moon Bay and would be willing to make a house visit?
CKissick
Starting Member
Starting Member

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical