Howling noise

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Howling noise

Postby RBP » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:40 am

I have a type IV 2316 with a DTM. I've noticed that when cruising on the highway at say 3,000 to 3,500 RPM the engine or a component of the engine starts to make a howling noise. I'm thinking its coming from the DTM intake, anyone else notice this?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Howling noise

Postby egrant5329 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Do you have the regular fan belt? You might take the belt off and spin the fan to see if something is rubbing. The internals on the DTM are just riveted in and could easily get vibrated loose over time. If you have a serpintine belt it could be a tensioner bearing. Or possibly and alternator. All are in the same general vicinity, but I would have thought all 3 would be more constant.

My DTM is a beautiful piece of garage art. I went back to a stock shroud with flaps.
Ed
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby RBP » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Ed, I just have the a standard belt, it drives from the crank and has only one pully to turn, that being the DTM fan. Why did you scrap your DTM?
Vintage, 2316 Type IV
RBP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:26 am

The DTM is cool looking, but I couldn't tell that it cooled any better than the cheap chrome shroud that I had when I got the car. At that time I had a smaller engine with dual solexes. I thought perhaps if I had a larger 2332cc or something that it would perform better than a standard shroud or if I lived where it was really hot.

Often in the mornings when I drive the spyder to work, it is in the low 50s, so I decided to go back to a OEM German shroud with flaps and thermostat and velocity ring so it would heat up faster and maintain less temperature variation. It was a good plan until I realized the 4-2-1 exhaust is in the way of the thermostat bracket, so I run it without the thermostat.

Now I run a 90.5x78 and don't have any temperature issues and never switched back to the DTM. I kept the shroud around in case I ever want to try it again. I would need to reshape the carb openings for the IDFs, but thats not all that hard. I think Jake did a much better job on the Type IV DTM than the Type-1.
Ed
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical