Where to steal some electricity for a fuel pump

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Where to steal some electricity for a fuel pump

Postby mmmexico » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:57 pm

I have an older Beck...probably 20+ years old. Actually it is my second Beck...but who cares? Here is my question: I have grown tired of grinding the starter for 20+ seconds in order to get fuel up to the carbs, so I have an electric fuel pump on the way...plus a blank off plate for the mechanical pump. First: Where would you guys mount the pump, and where would you recommend that I steal some electricity to run it?

There is the easy solution of running a line from the solenoid but I am reluctant to do this because I think that I would need to run a line to the dash to function as an on-off switch. I don't want to leave the pump perpetually "on"...

Looking forward to hearing your accumulated wisdom...

Mike
mmmexico

Re: Where to steal some electricity for a fuel pump

Postby danstern » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:15 pm

My electric pump is mounted under the tank. I think Vintage Spyder generally does that. Easy place to get 12v is the ignition switch. Not too far away and it goes on before you engage the starter.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Where to steal some electricity for a fuel pump

Postby DannyP » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Definitely mount the pump up front near the tank. Use a pre-filter, and definitely use ignition power from the fuse box. Modern rotary pumps like to push fuel rather than draw it from near the engine.

Amazon sells the Carter rotary pump cheap, with a filter, and self-regulated. Truly can't be beat: https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P60504-Li ... +fuel+pump
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical