Engine Swap / Early Beck

Engines, Transmissions, running gear, etc.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Engine Swap / Early Beck

Postby Armodilo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:22 am

Hey everyone,

I acquired my Spyder last fall and have done quite a few upgrades. I bought the car with the impression that it had a 2276cc engine in it but it turns out it's a 1915, so I've been looking to upgrade that as well.

I have located a 2276 with a DTM shroud and will be swapping it out in the next couple of weeks.

I've dug through all the archives here and there's some information on how to do this but it's really bits and pieces and I wanted to see if anyone has done it in an early model Beck and has some pointers as to what I should be watching out for. I understand the basic theory but wouldn't mind any additional pointers you guys may have.

Some of my questions:
1. What's the best way to lift the engine so that I can manoeuvre it while in the air to get the right tilt / movement to get it out of the tight space (where do I fasten the straps / chains to for safe lifting?
2. Do I need to remove the rear clamshell (I've read you don't have to and it would save a lot of work removing the rear electrical to the lights)
3. Any special notes about aligning the engine to the transmission when putting the new engine back in or is it simple plug and play?
4. Any special notes about how much the transmission has to move up to unseat the engine? I'm not sure it can move back much.
5. Should I look at removing the DTM shroud or would it be harder to get back onto the new engine once in the engine bay?
6. I have not made the bar under the transmission removable, is this necessary or can I just undo the two bolts on the transmission to get it to move far enough to unseat the engine
7. Stupid question: If I move the transmission at all, does this in any way affect my rear wheel alignment?

I've never removed and added an engine, I'm sure once I've done it, it won't seem like such a big deal but when it's brand new I like to know what I'm getting into.

Any pictures would go a long way as well. Thanks in advance.
Beck Spyder #171 (2276cc)
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Engine Swap / Early Beck

Postby egrant5329 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 am

It has been years since I swapped engines, but this is how I recall doing it. I have a el cheapo harbor freight winch in the ceiling of my garage and used nylon straps to lift and maneuver the engine. Before installing I removed the fan, carbs, alternator, etc. and installed just the longblock. Definitely take the clam off and the engine pulley. This allowed me to do the install completely by myself. I almost took the oil pump cover off because it was really tight trying to get the placement right with the transmission. All in all fairly easy, just take your time.

Also, I watched the Bug Me engine install video just for added confidence since I had never installed an engine before.
EdG
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Armodilo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 am

Thanks.
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ralphc » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:56 pm

1. I used a come along. Straps running under the heads. AVOID the pushrod tubes.
2. My clam opened to 90 degrees no need to remove.
3. Input shaft on the trans need to index with the splines on the clutch plate. Alignment shouldn't be an issue. Just rotate input shaft by hand or rock chassis with trans in gear to rotate the input shaft- it doesn't need much.
4.I undid trans mounts at bellhousing only. Loosened but did not remove nosecone mounting bolts. Floor jack to raise engine and trans as unit until oil pump cleared torsion housing. Then SUPPORT engine with lifting straps, unbolt from tranny and pull engine off the input shaft; don't load the shaft. Lower tranny. While supported, move engine as required to clear body lip where clam closes.
5. Strip fan/alternator/shroud and, at a minimum, carbs/linkage. Manifolds as well if fit still too tight. This allows the manuvering described in #4 to occur with less grief. Left crank pulley on.
6. This works without removeable bar.
7. Alignment does not change unless you loosen the bolts holding the axles to the springplates.
Note: This procedure is not entirely free of aggravation. As I grew older I let my mechanic do it whenever the engine required pulling.
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Armodilo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks Ralph, it's scheduled in for Easter weekend. The old engine is stripped down ready to be pulled.
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 am

"This procedure is not entirely free of aggravation"

You can say that again. I've done it a bunch of times in my Vintage and it isn't easy. And we don't have to deal with the torsion bar either!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:41 pm

These are not my pictures, but you can see why I took everything off the engine. Without everything you are less likely to damage the fiberglass behind the seat and it is still a tight fit.
Attachments
28216048.DSCN0290.jpg
28216047.DSCN0289.jpg
28216046.DSCN0288.jpg
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm

In this picture the engine still needs to drop down and move forward to align the transaxle to the engine without damaging the clutch while avoiding the torsion housing. It's tight, but doable.
Attachments
28216049.DSCN0291.jpg
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:21 am

Yeah, and you have to be very careful of the input shaft on the transmission. It does make it easier to drop it out the bottom for anyone with a Vintage. I drop the engine on the ground, then lift the car via chain hoist and slide the engine out.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby egrant5329 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:10 am

If I every do it again, I would like to make my shock support removable like in the pictures above. I think it would be easier to do the engine and transmission all at once, since I can't drop it out like on a Vintage.
egrant5329
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Armodilo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 am

Thank for all the pics, that certainly helps a lot. It definitely looks like pulling most everything off the engine makes things easier.

I'll just take my time and go assume it'll be a PITA from the start, then no surprises!

Cheers,
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech Engines/Mechanical