Here we go again, anyone seen Vintage Greg

Don your flame-proof suit and come on in! IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT THEN GET OUT!!!!
Post anything you wish within reason that is \"off-topic\" from a Spyder.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Aussiespyder wrote:Gmund pics

A Woody 550! [:0] Needs the optional board rack though.
COWABUNGA IN BAYERN, BABY [8D]
Last edited by prototype4 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Biker2 wrote:
prototype4 wrote:Wow, I am impressed.

United Nations here you come! :)

???????? Either you are very easily impressed or I missed something.

You found something positive to say about everyone without being antagonistic. If you can wear a suit, and lie through your teeth with a straight face, then you have all the hallmarks of the diplomatic corpsman ;) .
Last edited by prototype4 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re:

Postby Biker2 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 pm

prototype4 wrote:You found something positive to say about everyone without being antagonistic. If you can wear a suit, and lie through your teeth with a straight face as well, then you have all the hallmarks of the diplomatic corpsman ;) .

Ahhh, got it. I'm a bit dense sometimes.

Probably can't wear the suit though. Last one I bought was in 1978. The only one I have now is the one I was born with.

I can however lie through my teeth very well. Don't like to do it, but sometimes its the only way.
Biker2
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Biker2 wrote:
prototype4 wrote:You found something positive to say about everyone without being antagonistic. If you can wear a suit, and lie through your teeth with a straight face as well, then you have all the hallmarks of the diplomatic corpsman ;) .

Ahhh, got it. I'm a bit dense sometimes.

Probably can't wear the suit though. Last one I bought was in 1978. The only one I have now is the one I was born with.

I can however lie through my teeth very well. Don't like to do it, but sometimes its the only way.

Well that just makes you a member of the human race. Welcome fellow reprobate ;) !
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Larry Jowdy wrote:http://www.specialtymetalfabrication.com/porsche.html

Well yeah Larry. But to do this highly skilled guy justice, I'd have to sell my soul. And what would that buy, a fender(if I'm lucky and he doesn't have it appraised 8-[ ).
Man! The talent and opportunity to go aluminium seems to be now, but for the lack of wherewithall #-o .
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby gotowo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 pm

I wouldn't trust him anyway. If I had him working on my original 550 spyder, being 550-0087 which is what he is showing, I would hope that he would know it was built in 1956, not '58 [:0]
Building the dream - http://www.type550.com
Vintage racing posters - http://posters.type550.com/
gotowo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm

gotowo wrote:I wouldn't trust him anyway. If I had him working on my original 550 spyder, being 550-0087 which is what he is showing, I would hope that he would know it was built in 1956, not '58 [:0]

That helps some. Thanks!
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Aussiespyder » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 pm

This thread is a doozy!

Taking up some Cognito's (Peter) points on space frame versus non space frame. (Made in very ornate prose)

This type of topic has been oft repeated on this forum. There are 2 types of Spyder lovers, those that like the car's looks and use this as a base and set out to make the ultimate driving machine with turbo Suby engine, double wishbone suspension and coil over adjustable shocks, etc, etc.

The other Spyders lover want to recreate a 1955 car with ladder frame chassis. swing axles and torsion bar suspension and a twin carb air cooled engine. They can then recreate the idiosyncrasies of a 60 year old design.

I am in the latter category and I am happy with that decision. I feel if you want the ultimate car you buy a 21st century product but equally I admire those that want to put the effort into upgrading a Spyder to that category.

Bottom line is each to to their own and we should not criticize those who make a particular decision which is often more emotionally based than technical.

Just my 2 cents. And Aussie cents are worth more that US cents these days!!

Ken
Aussiespyder
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:44 am

Aussiespyder wrote:

................Just my 2 cents. And Aussie cents are worth more that US cents these days!!Ken

Just killing some time before the Islamo-fiscal showdown.
Since you discreetly mentioned international economics :-s , from my side of the coin in the worlds largest national economy being rewarded for its do-goodism, I'd say that the rest of the world shouldn't be surprised at the "pay-as-you-go" bill submitted to the world community by folks like me (paying now) for the upkeep of the World cop. Current international efforts to change the world monetary standard from the dollar should frankly hasten a payments-due schedule. But to recap, as far as this nation being obliged to the world due to its own natural assets and experienced prosperity, it needs to be QUID PRO QUO or the jihadies and pirates can have a free pass anywhere but North America . As far as I am concerned, I won't pay for it anymore.
But not to worry Ken. The Austrailian Prime Ministers' sternly worded admonition to moslem immigrants against Islamic seperatism has Austrailia covered, no doubt. ;)
Just a concise thought or two. Do I hear a lock rustling?
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Greenberg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:04 am

Yama, the banter and drivel truly is tiresome. It would be nice to see threads kept on point for a change. I am sure there are sites folks that truly have little spine and wish to banter online from a chair as they know they will be destroyed in the tactile world. It is for this very reason that I and many oldtimers on this site have chosen to stay away and in fact, sell their cars as the passion of this site and these cars has drifted terribly. Truly a shame. [V]

On a possitive and thread focused note, my heart jumped when I saw that buck. Absolutley beautiful. However, I think it is more of a wooden re-creation of a 550 than a buck as if it were used as a buck, the panels would not fit as the size and gapping looks fractionally too large. Obviously we would have to see it up close to be sure, but she is spectacular none the less. WOW!
Ya gotta drive it like ya stole it!
Greenberg
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Larry Jowdy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 pm

I've been on this board since 2003. I purchased a Beck and kept it for only about 1 year and sold it to buy a 2002 911. Sold that car and bought a 1973 911S and I'm happy. I've stayed on the board because I enjoy helping others with advice and it's a way to stay in touch with other members.

The board has undergone a lot of changes and I've tried to be liberal in locking posts when they go overboard.

Unfortunately, we have members that really don't contribute anything with substance and when they do post, their contribution serves to irritate others. Others write in a fashion similar to a Religious fanatic speaking in \"tongues\" They write a lot of three dollar words and unfortunately, they have nothing to do with the theme of this Bulletin Board. As far as I'm concerned, it's OK to have an opinion but it's not OK to voice that opinion \"everytime\" a thread is started.

If you have something constructive to add then do so, if you're just writing to read your own words then give it some thought before you start writing.

Sure, it's OK to slip in a joke or two but to continue over and over with the same message gets real dry.

This thread is a prime example. The author just had to voice his opinion and then everyone else chimes in with exactly the same words just in a different order. Then, the thread drifts significantly to where it is now.... PLEASE tell me how photo's of a 550 buck and type 547 engines have anything to do with the title of this thread.

OK, as many of you can see, I've moved this thread to Off Topic and, I'm also locking it because for some unknown reason, none of you can get along and I really can't see a reason to let it fester any longer
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner

Previous

Return to Off Topic (formerly Flamers)