Bike project

Don your flame-proof suit and come on in! IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT THEN GET OUT!!!!
Post anything you wish within reason that is \"off-topic\" from a Spyder.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Postby Wayner » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:42 am

Wayner
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Richard Lamin » Wed May 11, 2011 1:05 am

Well, the bike project is coming on. (Pictured here in the back of my van between between work and home)

The frame has been modified and stretched by 2\" and lowered by 2\". The engine is finished and the Norton front end has been modified to fit. Still needs a tank and a seat (a small high back solo seat is on the way from West Eagle). The rear wheel will be an 18\" spoked wheel and the front will be swopped for a 21\" rim. The speedometer drive was omitted when I swapped out the Yamaha front forks and wheel, so I'll probably use a small digital speedo with a magnetic pick up from the front wheel.

Coming on slowly.
Attachments
stage1.JPG
Anything else is just transport .....
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Guy_spyder550 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 am

Looks really good Rich, though think I will stick to 4 wheels, or perhaps 3.
Le Mans Classic - It's just like Goodwood Revival except with added Garlic
Guy_spyder550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby YamaBice » Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 am

Richard, you started out with excellent bones from which to craft your custom. That XS650 engine is ultra-reliable. British thump without British oil leaks!

It's hard to believe that that's an XS650 frame after the modifications that you made. Did you start out with a standard XS650 or was it an XS650SE (a \"Special\" here in the U.S. and, I think, a \"U.S. Custom\" in the UK?)?

Is the front brake system from a Norton, as well? I assume it would have to be but I am curious about the brake caliper carrier. It looks like you had to fabricate an adapter.
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Richard Lamin » Wed May 11, 2011 11:06 am

It's a 1981 US model. From the engine code it looks like a xs650H Special II.

Well spotted on the front brake. All the front end parts came off the Commando. The calliper mount is a Hyde part and the calliper is AP racing with a Lockhead (I think) master cylinder and reservior. A few people have mentioned that mount - I'll have to look into it's origin.
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby SpyderGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Richard,
Is that you on the bike?? If it is, you and I both have the same taste in shoes. :)

SG
SpyderGirl
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby YamaBice » Wed May 11, 2011 1:47 pm

The Special-II models had laced wheels and were considered a step down from the Special, which has the cast wheels like are/were on your bike. It's funny because the laced wheels were used on the less-expensive version of the XS, but they were much more expensive to manufacture with their Akront aluminum rims and chrome spokes that were hand-laced.

Also, the Special-II models had a drum rear brake instead of a disc.
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby cinqster » Wed May 11, 2011 3:55 pm

It's looking great Rich! I still like the original cast wheels though - they look harder. Those levers may give you some gyp at that angle!

Trust you to work all day on the bike and still look like you've just got out of the shower...LOL! [8D]
cinqster
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Richard Lamin » Sat May 14, 2011 1:44 am

Spydergirl - yes that's me. Hopefully those are the only footwear we have in common! (ideal for keeping in garage)

Yama - I wish it did have spoked wheels, It would have been better, but from the chart below, that's the model based on the engine and frame numbers (4N9-00). I'll look into it, though once it's finished it will be so different from the original bike.

http://www.excess650.co.uk/model_codes.htm

John
You're so kind, but Karolina uses trick photography!
It's really just a few parts bolted together for the moment. I'll need a different clutch lever to match the brake lever.
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby cinqster » Sat May 14, 2011 9:40 am

Hey Rich, my plans for the Plastic Maggot have changed!

How about this baaaaadboy???

Don't think this will get me to Le Mans!
cinqster
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Richard Lamin » Sat May 14, 2011 11:11 am

What were your \"Plastic Maggot\" plans?

I quite like that actually. Hardtail, black rims, brown leather solo seat. I thought these would normally be single speed, but is that a hand shifter?
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby cinqster » Sat May 14, 2011 11:48 am

...the Maggot cafe racer!

Not sure about the clutch must be a foot shifting auto thing. I know they do have gears as some tw@ from Domino Pizza's tried to run me over recently as I crossed the road (and downshifted to try to get me)! Needless to say he lost no longer works there and I got a free pizza! =D>
cinqster
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby SpyderGirl » Sat May 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Richard,
Yes I am sure those are the only ones we have in common! :) I keep two pairs by the door and they are the best shoes in the world to wash the Spyder in!! Best of luck on the bike! It looks great!

SG
SpyderGirl
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re:

Postby YamaBice » Sat May 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Richard Lamin wrote:I wish it did have spoked wheels, It would have been better, but from the chart below, that's the model based on the engine and frame numbers (4N9-00).

http://www.excess650.co.uk/model_codes.htm

Here's the other thing that's weird. In 1981, Yamaha offered the XS650H and XS650SH. The "H" was the Special-II with laced wheels and a rear drum brake. The "SH" was the Special, and it had alloy wheels. But, here's the kicker. That bike also had a rear drum brake.

It's kind of like what happened with the SR500. When it was introduced in 1978, it had a rear disc brake, but in 1979 and 1980 (after which, the SR was discontinued in the U.S.), it had a rear drum brake.

Obviously, the design of a wheel that accepts a rear drum is completely different from a wheel that accepts a rear disc. The wheel hubs are not at all the same. And, on your bike, you obviously have, for the time being at least, a rear disc brake, which supposedly wasn't offered on EITHER XS650 sold by Yamaha in the U.S. in 1981.

And yet, you're 100% correct. "4N9" is a 1981 XS650.

So, after that long-winded dissertation, I'm completely puzzled!
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Bike project

Postby Richard Lamin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 am

It's been a long time, but I finished the bike in April, so I haven't been around Spyderclub much recently or taken the 550 out much this year. In the end, I had to replace or rebuild everything, and it took a while to iron all the bugs out. But I'm really pleased with it.

Norton Commando front end and BSA Bantam tank.

It's so much fun to ride - as long as I stay out of the pot holes. I was going to paint it silver and go with a Spyder theme, but decided to just give a couple of nods to the 550 with the monza petrol cap and leather strap. I need to change the exhaust silencers though because they are too close to the road in turns and I've grounded the right one already.

Here's a few pics.
xs650 rhs.JPG

xs650 lhs.JPG

xs650 back.JPG
Richard Lamin
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic (formerly Flamers)