where did everbody go?

Don your flame-proof suit and come on in! IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT THEN GET OUT!!!!
Post anything you wish within reason that is \"off-topic\" from a Spyder.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Postby Goofycat » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Angela, you are so gracious (as usual) for the kind invitation. Sadly, the weather was so hot yesterday that we dawdled along until after 9:00 PM, trying to find a good RV park (tough to do at night), when we finally threw up our hands and pulled into a quiet fisherman's RV park right on the Rogue river, just east of Grant's Pass. It was a stroke of luck. The place was so quiet, even after we got up this morning at 5:30 that I thought everyone was sick or dead.

We left there at 6:30 this morning so as to beat the heat (we had not learned that the air conditioner had three settings until we reached Redding, CA, today, and finally got the thing to churn out some good cold air). We were baking all the way down from Washington yesterday and almost decided to bite the bullet and spend another 7 hours on the road and just drive all the way home. I thought about you and Steve as we went down Highway 5 through Medford and might have called you. The problem was that I had no phone number (yeah...it's probably in the book, but no one I know has his/her name in a phone book, and my mind has been programmed as such). Besides, calling you late at night or early AM in retrospect might have been a bummer for you and Steve.
Maybe I should have taken the chance last night. A BBQ would have been great. All I had for dinner was some cold, stale shrimp Alfredo.

Anyway, we hope we can set something up somewhere in your neck of the woods (haven't we been talking about this just a few dozen times in the past?) next year. It seems that we had a thread going on SC about that nice back road from Grant's Pass to Jacksonville.
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby glenfriesen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:03 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulled into Anacortes, Washington after having made a loop from Washington to Idaho to South Dakota (Custers' battlefield, Sturgis, Black Hills), then through Wyoming and up to Great Falls, Montana, then due north to Calgary to have a wonderful dinner with Brian LeBlanc (Snowback) and his family. I did my best to encourage Brian and his wife to come down to the Morro Bay event next year. Maybe he will bring his car, but no commitment yet. Brian mentioned Glenfriesen, who also has a car in Calgary, but due to a continuing problem with WiFi signals, I had no way to even get online to at least say \"Hello.\" So....Hello, Glen. Sorry I missed you. Maybe you can accompany Brian to the Morro event, eh?

Too bad I missed you guys... Maybe next time. You were right next to one of the best drives in North America. The Going to The Sun Road or Logans Pass goes right through the middle of Glacier Park in Northern Montana and spits you out about 1/2 hour from the Canada US border. Its only open from about mid-late June until Sept-ish because of the crazy amount of snow they get there. If you go the first month or so it open there are 30 foot snow drifts straight up from the side of the road. I had the Spyder down there a couple of years ago and it was awesome
glenfriesen
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Goofycat wrote:Pulled into Anacortes, Washington after having made a loop from Washington to Idaho to South Dakota (Custers' battlefield, Sturgis, Black Hills), then through Wyoming and up to Great Falls, Montana, then due north to Calgary to have a wonderful dinner with Brian LeBlanc (Snowback) and his family. I did my best to encourage Brian and his wife to come down to the Morro Bay event next year. Maybe he will bring his car, but no commitment yet. Brian mentioned Glenfriesen, who also has a car in Calgary, but due to a continuing problem with WiFi signals, I had no way to even get online to at least say "Hello." So....Hello, Glen. Sorry I missed you. Maybe you can accompany Brian to the Morro event, eh?

We then visited Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper, then headed south to Washington, where we are now sitting in the old motor home enjoying the rain. I heard it was over 90 in Santa Rosa, so we are in no hurry to get back home. The trip so far has been just three weeks long, but we have covered over 4,000 miles....uphill, downhill, in some incredible headwinds, all types of terrain and even some snow in Montana, just south of the border. Saw maybe half a dozen Porsches of all types (even one 356) on the trip.

The Banff-Lake Louise area is nothing short of stunning. The mountains rise vertically from the road, with lakes, rivers, ice fields, glaciers adding to the incredible beauty of the area. Without a doubt, it is the most beautiful place I have ever visited. It would be a great road for a 550 "event," provided that the weather cooperated. A close second-place is the highway from Lewiston, Idaho to Missoula, Montana. Far closer for most of us, but an incredible road with a great road surface, twisties and the ever-present beauty along the Clearwater river. Kinau and I plan to take the car there next year, passing through eastern Oregon, then up through Idaho to get to the Lewiston-Missoula highway that goes through the Lolo pass.

The Canadian gas price reached $105.9 (per liter, that is) in southern British Columbia. I'll never complain about U.S. prices again.

Gads Goofry! Your exploit has me envy green.
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re:

Postby SpyderGirl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 am

Goofycat wrote:Angela, you are so gracious (as usual) for the kind invitation. Sadly, the weather was so hot yesterday that we dawdled along until after 9:00 PM, trying to find a good RV park (tough to do at night), when we finally threw up our hands and pulled into a quiet fisherman's RV park right on the Rogue river, just east of Grant's Pass. It was a stroke of luck. The place was so quiet, even after we got up this morning at 5:30 that I thought everyone was sick or dead.

We left there at 6:30 this morning so as to beat the heat (we had not learned that the air conditioner had three settings until we reached Redding, CA, today, and finally got the thing to churn out some good cold air). We were baking all the way down from Washington yesterday and almost decided to bite the bullet and spend another 7 hours on the road and just drive all the way home. I thought about you and Steve as we went down Highway 5 through Medford and might have called you. The problem was that I had no phone number (yeah...it's probably in the book, but no one I know has his/her name in a phone book, and my mind has been programmed as such). Besides, calling you late at night or early AM in retrospect might have been a bummer for you and Steve.
Maybe I should have taken the chance last night. A BBQ would have been great. All I had for dinner was some cold, stale shrimp Alfredo.

Anyway, we hope we can set something up somewhere in your neck of the woods (haven't we been talking about this just a few dozen times in the past?) next year. It seems that we had a thread going on SC about that nice back road from Grant's Pass to Jacksonville.

Goofers,
It sounds like you are having a HELL of a time!!! great to hear about your adventure!!! I hope you are speaking of Jacksonville, NC!!!! Remember you and the wife are more then welcome to come here and stay when you take your trip back east :) :D

SG
SpyderGirl
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Goofycat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:59 am

Glen and Proto: We had traveled to Centralia, Washington first to have some work done on the old motor home (new plugs, points, spark plugs and SP wiring, reprogramming the chip in the 454 engine, new Koni FSP shocks and a Banks Power Pack system). Expensive, but the rig will now lay rubber and outdo the 550 in the quarter mile. Well....not really, but it did give me a ton more torque without having to drop into the lower gears going on some steep uphills, and hopefully the gas mileage will have improved (I haven't figured it out yet). The pre-Banks mileage was around 7-10 mpg, depending on driving conditions. I have been waiting for OPEC to send me some sort of award, but I haven't heard a thing from them so far. The EPA also owes me at least a small trophy for all the bugs I whacked.

One of the Banks headers originally placed at the shop was faulty, so we sat in Centralia at the repair shop for four extra days, waiting for the replacement header to arrive. The original new header made an intermittent banging noise for whatever reason, and the shop and I agreed that it needed to be replaced, although we could drive the rig in the meantime. Banks could not guarantee a delivery date, so we had to change our plans and loop to South Dakota, then back to Calgary and Banff, rather than the other way around. Taking us to Banff, then Calgary, then south would have put us on a route that would have taken us west again on Hwy 50 or Hwy 70, or even some other interesting Highway to home just norh of San Francisco. I told the owner of the change in travel plans, and we eventually looped back to Centralia, had the header replaced, then proceeded home, arriving yesterday afternoon, welcomed by 100-degree heat. We also had to stop in Junction City, Oregon to have a windshield replaced due to a rock thrown from a truck wheel somewhere outside of Pasco, Washington. I had hoped to meet Mark Greenberg in Vancouver, but we just couldn't schedule it in due to the change in our travel route. Sorry, Greenie, but hopefully we can do that in the future.

Other than having to be back home before October 5 due to other commitments at home, we didn't have any real schedule, other than having to be back in Centralia to get the header issue completed. There were a few things we missed seeing in South Dakota, but by the time we got finished in the Black Hills, we were getting tired of the tourism bit and wanted to go where there was less wind. The headwinds on a flat-nosed motor home can be vicious, and we had to fight them all the way into Montana.

Montana has good roads, although not as good as the ones in Idaho or Oregon. Montana also has the north or western headwinds, and we were glad to get up into Canada. I had talked to a guy I happened to run into in a little town called Harlowton, Montana, on the way down to the Black Hills. He suggested that I take the route that travels along the eastern side of Glacier National Park in Montana. What a nice drive. We stayed overnight in a small town called Choteau, just northwest of Great Falls, then left the next morning, only to be greeted by a snowstorm just north of Browning, Montana. It abated just before we reached the Canadian border. So, we had 32-degrees and fog (fog so thick that we were forced to say in the local Walmart parking lot) in Rapid City, South Dakota, snow in Montana and 100-degree weather at home...all the extremes within three weeks of traveling.

Glen, I would have taken the Sun Peak drive, but it would have taken us out of the way, and we had visited Glacier Park only a few years before. Besides, we had made an appointment to return to the repair place in Washington for Monday (day before yesterday), and had to juggle things around just to make that appointment.

All in all, a great trip, totaling 5,043 miles. My thoughts were on the 550 when we were on some of those neat roads in Canada, Montana and Oregon. Add the Black Hills to that list. Parts of NE Wyoming also. So, for now, the Gypsy life is over.
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby glenfriesen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Totaly forgot you were in a motor home. They probably wouldn't let you on the logans pass with anything over 25 feet long. The hiway you speak of, east of Glacier park is also very nice.
glenfriesen
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Goofycat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 am

I just finished washing the beast. Took two hours, and all I did was wash it....no wax. Nothing like a small car for ease of maintenance. I remember some old sports cars going up the road from the Whitefish side when we were there. We were in the Prius, and I felt kind of out of place amidst some real hard-core car guys. I may just go that same route next year, but in the 550. If you get your car finished, you are welcome to join us. You too, Brian, and anyone else in the vicinity who has a few days to spare. Maybe Angela?
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 am

Just let me know where and when! - Make sure the weather is sunny though. I'll be there!
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:19 am

Goofy et al,
On a long trip in an area like that, what do you do if it rains?
So far, I've limited myself to CA one week trips in totally predictable weather.
I'd rather use the Spyder like a motorcycle. I'm not looking to ride in the rain, but a little rain doesn't spoil a trip.
I have no top or side curtains, but from what I've been told, soaked (ruined?) carpets, seats, etc. are the real threat.
:(
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Goofycat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:59 am

I don't know about the others, but I plan to take along a light plastic tarp and run for cover and stop at the nearest motel, etc., if I see any rain clouds. I usually keep an eye on the weather, and haven't run into problems. California summers are usually rain-free, but the weather gets a little dicey farther north, depending on the time of year. I'm lucky in that I'm retired, so waiting for the rain to stop is not a problem (no job to have to get back to).
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:32 am

Based on my vast experience of driving 11 hours - 600 Kms. in the rain you need to to:

A) Run a bead of silicon on the windshield and install the roof the night before.
B) if you are driving by yourself (let the wife drive the car with heated seats and a heater)install the tonneau cover over the passenger seat
C) Install the side curtain only on the driver side.
D) bring lots of rags and shammies.
E) install at least four bilge pumps. Two behind each seat and two behind the front wheel wells.

When driving let the shammies/rags sop up the water that is swishing around on the carpets. Squeeze the shammies/rags onto the tonneau and let is run off the passenger door- to the outside.

When you get to your destination pull out the shopvac and suck up the water from the carpets. You should be able to get 3 to 4 gallons!
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Goofycat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:47 am

:D :D :D
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby beck688 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 pm

I have never had a convertible that I didn't drill holes in the floor -- I invariably get the innards soaked once in a while
beck688
Old Timer
Old Timer

Rain

Postby Ralphc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 pm

Wet ain't the worst. If you're on any kind of main road and your car is silver, you are hidden in wheel spray & kind of invisible.
In California, the first rains are the worst...everyone forgot how to drive in the wet and intersections & turns are super slippery. The low weight and wide tires certainly don't help.
Having 300+ days of sun doesn't hurt, though.
Ralphc
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby snowback » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:52 pm

I think that is why they invented headlights. With the simple pull of a knob - Let there be light!

Also if your car gets snakey in rain you may need a 4 wheel alignment. Mine was dangerous like that until I aligned all 4 wheels.
snowback
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic (formerly Flamers)