where did everbody go?

Don your flame-proof suit and come on in! IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT THEN GET OUT!!!!
Post anything you wish within reason that is \"off-topic\" from a Spyder.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Postby danstern » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Bilge pumps and shop vacs, hhmmm.
I think I'll stick to predictable CA weather in the Spyder and take the bike when it's iffy.
Thanks guys.
:(
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Goofycat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:42 am

I found a great sealant called Dicor. It was recommended by the local motor home repair guys for use on the roof of the old motorhome to seal the roof vents, etc., against moisture leakage. I have used it. It is easy to apply, sticks like glue, hardens in a reasonable amount of time and seems to not deteriorate over time. It takes the place of silicon-type bead sealants.
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby laneco » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:16 pm

danstern wrote:Bilge pumps and shop vacs, hhmmm.
I think I'll stick to predictable CA weather in the Spyder and take the bike when it's iffy.
Thanks guys.

Are you kidding? The wettest I've ever been in my life was in the spyder in California. I swear that I've been scuba diving and stayed drier! It rained for FIVE FREAKING hours straight. There was probably an inch and half of standing water inside of the car when I got home at the pedal assembly (the low spot in our car).

Probably the closest I've ever come to drowning! #-o

angela
laneco
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:04 pm

laneco wrote:
danstern wrote:Bilge pumps and shop vacs, hhmmm.
Thanks guys.

Are you kidding? The wettest I've ever been in my life was in the spyder in California. I swear that I've been scuba diving and stayed drier! It rained for FIVE FREAKING hours straight. There was probably an inch and half of standing water inside of the car when I got home at the pedal assembly (the low spot in our car).

Probably the closest I've ever come to drowning! #-o

angela

And in all that time, O' Oregonitrix, you did not pull into a carport, or a service station overhang?
I think you were getting your jollies myself :-k . I have heard about the strange north pacific coast fetish for precipitation =P~ . I'll bet you have slits in your raingear (you know the kind I mean [):] ).
-the demented Type-4
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby DannyP » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:36 am

I agree with Snowy, except for the bilge pumps! I drilled about twelve holes or so in the floor. Two on each side, drivers and passengers, in front of and behind the cockpit bulkhead. Also, two on each side of each seat in front of the firewall. Helped a LOT, now the carpets just get damp, no more standing water.

When I put the car back together after paint, I put a bead of silicone under the aluminum strip that gets riveted to the body. I also selaed the corners of the windshield. Underneath I sealed a lot of edges where glass is joined to glass and the floorpan joints especially.

With the heater/defroster and convertible top, the car is almost civilzed! Except for the noise, lack of traction in the rain, etc.

I did drive for 4 hours in the rain, and it sucked, that was before all of these mods and with no top. There was so much water in the car that it shorted out my Hyfire6 ignition. Which was surprisingly fine after it dried, and ran in the car for 2 years after that!

No directional issues in the rain, just be careful starting out at lights, too much power and skinny tires and rain is a bad combo.

I did drive in some light rain on the way home from Carlisle this year, and it wasn't bad with the top on.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Goofycat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:44 am

Angela, it was 100 degrees when we got home on Tuesday. We are now getting some heavy rain.
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby unclegeezer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:25 am

i enjoy the free advice, the stories, the cars, and the cool cats who drive and build these wonderful spyders. i will be with you when my equity and jobs return.

until then,

i was never here.
we didn't meet..
i will treat you well if we meet on the street
i know who you are when you tell me your name,
i know i'll forget, but thanks, just the same,
my name's uncle geezer, and i have lots of fun
i'm a great big teaser
and a people pleaser
i'm as old as the sun
unclegeezer
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby laneco » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Proto - actually, I did stop during the downpour at a covered service station. I bought Rain-X and applied it to the windshield (no wipers). WOW - that stuff is really amazing. Now I use it on all the cars, even those high-falutin' ones with windshield wipers.

angela
laneco
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby glenfriesen » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Ditto, Angela. That stuff is awesome, I use it on motorcycle googles as well.
glenfriesen
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:21 pm

unclegeezer wrote:i enjoy the free advice, the stories, the cars, and the cool cats who drive and build these wonderful spyders. i will be with you when my equity and jobs return.

until then,

i was never here.
we didn't meet..
i will treat you well if we meet on the street
i know who you are when you tell me your name,
i know i'll forget, but thanks, just the same,
my name's uncle geezer, and i have lots of fun
i'm a great big teaser
and a people pleaser
i'm as old as the sun

But are you on the run?

I don' know.......... :-s I keep thinking,"Zombie Dr. Seuss?". Maybe this George Romero thing is not just fantasy [:0] .
Last edited by prototype4 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Goofycat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:26 pm

It looks like it's time for \"oldest member.\" Prize of a new SC badge goes to the winner. [^:]
Last edited by Goofycat on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:27 pm

laneco wrote:Proto - actually, I did stop during the downpour at a covered service station. I bought Rain-X and applied it to the windshield (no wipers). WOW - that stuff is really amazing. Now I use it on all the cars, even those high-falutin' ones with windshield wipers.

angela

I've heard about and tried that brand of wiper too. It is remarkable. And has black flexible blades and has the letter"X" in its' name! gr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r =P~ .
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: where did everbody go?

Postby Goofycat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:13 am

Angela, I always thought about rubbing some Rainex on the windshield of the 550, but I used it a long time ago on another vehicle, and IIRC, whenever i had to clean the windshield, the film of Rainex seemed to make it more difficult to clean the windshield. Maybe it was just my imagination. BTW, Permatex has a new (?) stuff the market that I saw featured on Motorweek (on TV) that is supposed to extend the life of the wiper rubber. I haven't used it; is anyone familiar with it?

My experience with Aamco wipers is dismal due to my inability to eliminate chatter of the wipers across the windshield in rainy driving. I changed to some Bosch wipers (the ones where the wiper arm connects only to the center of the wiper), and have had no chatter problems since.
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby gixxerblade » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 am

We have the Bosch wipers as well. They are more a form of fit rather than function because they certainly don't help in the rain. I guess if I wanted functional wipers I could use the Rain-X ones that conform to the shape of the windshield. The Bosch look more authentic though.
Goofycat, as far as Rain-X on the windshield, you can use a little bit of water with it to help rub it in and then a dry cloth. Also, from my experience, using a razor blade when washing the windshield removes a lot of gunk that builds up from driving the car. Windex (any glass cleaner) just merely spreads the dirt around and doesn't clean it very well.
gixxerblade

Postby Goofycat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks, Gixxer. IIRC, I heard on some radio program that the passenger side wiper is an inch longer than the driver's side wiper (or vice versa)....not on the 550 perhaps, but on many or most other cars. Bosch makes a few different versions of wipers at different prices. Mine are the cheapest (at around $12 or $13 per wiper. I supposed it is a moot point anyway for my 550 since it never goes out in the rain. I guess that makes it a "rain queen"?
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic (formerly Flamers)