Picture that got me tossed off the 356 registry BB and the

Don your flame-proof suit and come on in! IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT THEN GET OUT!!!!
Post anything you wish within reason that is \"off-topic\" from a Spyder.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Postby danstern » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:27 am

Proto,
I don't really have a reply.
I think this is a matter of opinion and personal values. We are not discussing selling my a copy as an original (that would be fraud). How we interact with folks at the gas station is up to each of us. My way is apparently different from yours.
BTW, the first week I owned the car, I 'supported' people at gas stations thinking it was an original without ever saying so. It didn't feel right - for me.

As to monetizing the debt. China (largest foreign holder) sold Treasuries in January and now holds less than $0.9 T. Japan is right behind in holdings, but is now selling because of the tragedy. However, never fear. Uncle Ben is the largest holder and buy more every month. It's good to print money. [-X
This is not likely to end well.

PS Proto, Do you think what Leadfoot did was OK?
Last edited by danstern on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby daVinci 550 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 am

I tend to lean toward the Proto camp when confronted with similar questions. Most people out my way don't even ask if it's a replica as they have never even seen a Porsche 550. In the end, I say it is a replica and hopefully no feelings hurt. When I see a Cobra out my way, I naturally assume it's a replica, so I don't even ask, but that's just me. [8D]
Matthew Gardiner
Vintage Spyder #412

Digital Media & Graphic Design
daVinci 550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:55 pm

I always tell people it is a replica of a Porsche that I built. Greg built me a rolling chassis, and I did the rest. I have methodically adjusted, changed, and refined many things over the years, enough that it really is my build now. 99% of the people just say \"nice car, man\" and go about their business.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby YamaBice » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:54 pm

daVinci, I'm the same way as you about Cobras. In fact, I don't think I'd be able to distinguish an original Cobra if I saw one. I just naturally assume that they're ALL replicas.

As for Spyders, I still like mine without any Porsche emblems on it at all. I figure that, for those who know what it is, they also know that it's not an original, so why even bother to put Porsche emblems on it? And, for those who don't know what it is, I confuse them even more by having Yamaha emblems on my wheel center caps. Although I have yet to have anyone ask me if it's a Yamaha car, upon which I'd have to tell them that the Toyota 2000 GT was the only complete car Toyota ever built in quantity (not to mention the Yamaha OX99-11 car, of which I think maybe only two or three were ever built:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/ ... -supercar/
YamaBice
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby daVinci 550 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:00 pm

Mine has the authentic style turn signals, windscreen, steering wheel, hand-brake, aluminum oil cooler grill, authentic style fuel filler, aluminum interior, Spyder and Porsche emblems, etc. because I wanted it to appear more authentic. No other reason. [8D]
Matthew Gardiner
Vintage Spyder #412

Digital Media & Graphic Design
daVinci 550
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby danstern » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:14 pm

I think this is great.
We each are involved with the cars for somewhat different reasons.
No matter what the reason, we enjoy them.
We handle questions in our individual way.
What more could we ask?
(OK, maybe less exhaust smell :D )
I have great fun with my Spyder.
(I'll let you know if the soon to be delivered, Blower Exige, measures up in the fun dep't.)
Dan
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re:

Postby prototype4 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

danstern wrote:Proto,
I don't really have a reply.
I think this is a matter of opinion and personal values. We are not discussing selling my a copy as an original (that would be fraud). How we interact with folks at the gas station is up to each of us. My way is apparently different from yours.
BTW, the first week I owned the car, I 'supported' people at gas stations thinking it was an original without ever saying so. It didn't feel right - for me.

As to monetizing the debt. China (largest foreign holder) sold Treasuries in January and now holds less than $0.9 T. Japan is right behind in holdings, but is now selling because of the tragedy. However, never fear. Uncle Ben is the largest holder and buy more every month. It's good to print money. [-X
This is not likely to end well.

PS Proto, Do you think what Leadfoot did was OK?

No reply!! Aw man :sadnana:. I spared you my usual juggling clown show and made a [^:] YAMABICE-WORTHY [^:] effort at persuasion. I don't blame you though. They were good points if I do say so myself (and I am :D ).
Anyway, intention is the foundation for the motive, and for judgement of the acts' nature. Intent determines killing from murder, as the law reasons it. If you intend to convey an illusion (like an actor, for example) for selfless or common benefit, I percieve 'no harm-no foul'.
BUT.........a few years ago, a man impersonated a decorated U.S. Marine for the social approval it garnered. Because he sought a benefit reserved for our honoured servicemen, without demonstration and official recognition of worthy distinction, that to me constitutes: insincerity, selfishness, unworthiness, and in this case, criminal fraud. Since we enthusiasts strive to hold ourselves to a 1950s Porsche engineering standard (because thats what we can afford it I'll bet [:0] ), the situation would seem unobjectional to anyone but the preservationists. Thats where Leadfoot may come in. I can understand being caught up in the excitement and interest of a 550 replica car being mistaken by Porschephiles as worthy of media attention. But when other peoples' reputations, and money is put at risk by the confusion, the responsible replicar enthusiast needs to clarify quickly. IF Leadfoot has erred, here is where he was not quick on the pedal.
If a pedestrian (beyond just being obnoxious) makes inquiries; GREAT! His legitimate observations could assist in perfecting the illusion. It is hard for someone personally attached to see all the inconsistancies (the old "....wood for the trees" problem). But if someone asks, I am not concerned. I tell them, and ask what clued them. So there you have it, longform.
As for Bernake, I'd like to see his genitals "monetized" with sawdust, so I can ask how he likes it. The folks in charge of the Treasury are almost single-handedly (we can't forget Barry O. for the appointments) destroying our wherewithal from within. God help us. I earnestly hope this episode will wean us off interdependency with other less wealthy economies, as the international economy model appears unsustainable. CHINAS' ECONOMY (the cheap source of crappy goods for Americas' spendaholism) IS SLOWING!!
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer

Previous

Return to Off Topic (formerly Flamers)