Marine Protected Areas

Don your flame-proof suit and come on in! IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT THEN GET OUT!!!!
Post anything you wish within reason that is \"off-topic\" from a Spyder.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Marine Protected Areas

Postby spc93 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:52 am

California is now trying to make areas of the ocean protected. They are willing to argue that fish will soon come to realize that they are safe if they remain in the \"Protected Area\". The goal is to have the entire 1200 mile coast a MPA. The only thing slowing this down is the ability to patrol the area. Any talk of the cost of this? Not much!
California has no chance of surviving =D>
spc93
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 am

Postby Larry Jowdy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 am

I've heard that fish have a memory span of 3 seconds
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
User avatar
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Ontario, California USA

Postby DannyP » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 am

And cats only remember good things, like being fed......
2016 Vintage
User avatar
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$
 
Posts: 4198
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Wallkill,NY,USA

Postby laneco » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:23 pm

We just got back from Thailand and during our stay there, visited a marine reserve. It is also Thailand's only national park. It was an extraordinary place with stunning biodiversity.

I really don't think fish can \"remember\" what place to go to. They are successful where they have food, good reproductive circumstances, and the predator/prey ratio is beneficial.

My guess, though, is that California will indeed declare protected zones. But if they want this to work, start small... Not 1,200 miles of coastline.

angela
User avatar
laneco
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$
 
Posts: 2046
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:54 pm
Location: Sunny SO. Oregon

Postby danstern » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:02 am

You obviously don't understand California.
We do everything LARGE, but mostly deficits :(
Dan
Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Vintage #74, 2109cc
User avatar
danstern
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Postby Larry Jowdy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 am

And there's a reason other than geography that California is called the LEFT coast.....
Larry Jowdy
Site Administrator
User avatar
Larry Jowdy
Site Admin/Owner
Site Admin/Owner
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Ontario, California USA

Re: Marine Protected Areas

Postby prototype4 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:22 pm

spc93 wrote:........California has no chance of surviving =D>

Take heart.
-Ungerrymandered redistricting begins this year.
-Incumbant dumping opportunities next year.
-The deficit pre-empts any new spending sprees.
-No new congressional fees or taxes without a 2/3 approval (or by initiative/referendum), and
-Governor Moonbeams' claim to fame may be that he is "the only guy who began severe pruning the progressivist bureaucracy thats been running amok since his fathers administration".
Lets see. [-o<
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
User avatar
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Re:

Postby aclamshell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 am

laneco wrote: I really don't think fish can "remember" what place to go to. They are successful where they have food, good reproductive circumstances, and the predator/prey ratio is beneficial.

My guess, though, is that California will indeed declare protected zones. But if they want this to work, start small... Not 1,200 miles of coastline.

angela


California already has protected Zones. Santa Barbara Island has a corner closed off by State and Federal Reserve (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/santabarbara.pdf). As does a section of San Diego. Considered to be Cow Cod preservation areas. No rock fishing is allowed in deep waters as well. California as strict size and count limits on fishing and are strictly enforced. Most everyone is complaint with the guidelines and are just happy to be able to get out and fish. All these efforts have paid off, and show good singes of fish recovering.

Now here is the thing, what reasons does California have to shut the coast down? Is there any GOOD reason or is just Green Nazis?

In a failing economy and raising prices of fuel, has anyone thought how this will affect the Boating, Charter Fishing, Fishing License Fees, Fishing Equipment sales, neighboring store and restaurant sales, and the loss of revenues? I am sure they have and they don't care.

Never thought a native Cali boy would ever say, "I Love Texas". [/u]
aclamshell
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Re:

Postby spc93 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:46 am

aclamshell wrote:
laneco wrote: I really don't think fish can "remember" what place to go to. They are successful where they have food, good reproductive circumstances, and the predator/prey ratio is beneficial.

My guess, though, is that California will indeed declare protected zones. But if they want this to work, start small... Not 1,200 miles of coastline.

angela


California already has protected Zones. Santa Barbara Island has a corner closed off by State and Federal Reserve (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/santabarbara.pdf). As does a section of San Diego. Considered to be Cow Cod preservation areas. No rock fishing is allowed in deep waters as well. California as strict size and count limits on fishing and are strictly enforced. Most everyone is complaint with the guidelines and are just happy to be able to get out and fish. All these efforts have paid off, and show good singes of fish recovering.

Now here is the thing, what reasons does California have to shut the coast down? Is there any GOOD reason or is just Green Nazis?

In a failing economy and raising prices of fuel, has anyone thought how this will affect the Boating, Charter Fishing, Fishing License Fees, Fishing Equipment sales, neighboring store and restaurant sales, and the loss of revenues? I am sure they have and they don't care.

Never thought a native Cali boy would ever say, "I Love Texas". [/u]



You get it! =D> But Texas is not the paradise it once was (The Overton Window) As everything moves to the left so does the center and right.
spc93
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 am

Postby Goofycat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 am

Texas might not be the paradise it once was, but considering that the Caterpillar company had considered a move there due to the refusal of the Governor of Illinois to want to keep Caterpillar in that tax-and-spend state via wanting to okay another tax increase that would affect Cat, Texas looks good in comparison. If Illinois politics forces their hand, the disaster that occurs will be properly blamed on their own politicians who are in bed with the unions. Nothing new.

Caterpillar has some 23,000 employees spread out in various towns in Illinois. A move out of state by this company would be yet another needle in the anti-business voodoo doll created by Governor Quinn and his politician lackeys who are hell-bent on spending the state into financial oblivion by passing laws to appease the unions and special interests. Nebraska, South Dakota and, yes, Texas would welcome Caterpillar with open arms, and regardless of what CEO Oberhelman told Mr. Quinn, IMO it ain't over 'till its over.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financia ... A9DJ80.htm
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Re: Marine Protected Areas

Postby Goofycat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:24 am

prototype4 wrote:
spc93 wrote:........California has no chance of surviving =D>

Take heart.
-Ungerrymandered redistricting begins this year.
-Incumbant dumping opportunities next year.
-The deficit pre-empts any new spending sprees.
-No new congressional fees or taxes without a 2/3 approval (or by initiative/referendum), and
-Governor Moonbeams' claim to fame may be that he is "the only guy who began severe pruning the progressivist bureaucracy thats been running amok since his fathers administration".
Lets see. [-o<


I had hoped that at least a few choice incumbents would be dumped last year, but I was 180 degrees out of phase on that one. As for next year, I can't wait!
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA

mpa's

Postby spc93 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 am

Goofycat
You slapped me back into reality. It still looks pretty good from here comparitively, but remember our Democrats are the ones that showed Wisconsin Dems. how to run and hide. ;)
spc93
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 am

Re: Marine Protected Areas

Postby prototype4 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Goofycat wrote:
prototype4 wrote:
spc93 wrote:........California has no chance of surviving =D>

Take heart.
-Ungerrymandered redistricting begins this year.
-Incumbant dumping opportunities next year.
-The deficit pre-empts any new spending sprees.
-No new congressional fees or taxes without a 2/3 approval (or by initiative/referendum), and
-Governor Moonbeams' claim to fame may be that he is "the only guy who began severe pruning the progressivist bureaucracy thats been running amok since his fathers administration".
Lets see. [-o<


I had hoped that at least a few choice incumbents would be dumped last year, but I was 180 degrees out of phase on that one. As for next year, I can't wait!

The 2010 national election caused dispair amongst progressivists as a signal that 'the jig was up'. California is in some ways, a politcally seperate entity and no canary in the coal mine. But lets face it, if elected California representitives can't tax/spend to crow about outcomes to campaign on, have no patsies (like firearms owners) to abuse in feel-good laws that do nothing constructive for the state, lose the gerrymandering power in reditricting, and are liable under term limits, they're screwed! Couldn't happen to a bunch of nicer guys.
Unless the voters stupidly hand Jerry a mandate to insist the legislature approve taxes, Jerry will begin the stumping process of Sacramento central government, and its costly committments. Lack-of-money needs must require it IMHO

I find all this distressful. The intentions of solving everyones problems sounds great, but the practicalities make being the Worlds' benefactor impossible. At some point, individuals have to own their lives and take self-control, and its' risks, to gain benefit.
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
User avatar
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Postby Goofycat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Proto, you, I and many others in this state are on the same page. Sadly, they just happen to be the producers, not the takers. As usual, the taxpayers will take it in the shorts because we are just plain outnumbered, and we will be labeled as those mean old \"tea-baggers\" (no problem with me) and as conservatives who have the audacity to \"lack compassion.\"

I am compassionate as any other human being.....but not for over half the state's population and not to the point where it puts the state (or nation, for that matter) onto the precipice of bankruptcy. It's the same as trying to be the \"world's benefactor,\" as you so aptly put it. We don't have the money....unless we want to put our kids, grandkids andgreat-grandkids into a perpetual slavery of debt. It is such a shame that we have produced two generations of people who have grown to expect that they be taken care of by the \"government,\" having no idea that the \"government\" is totally supported by taxpayers. The corruption that supports the entire house of cards is outrageous---yet it it still goes on and is getting worse each year. Wait until 2014 when Obamacare threatens to be shoved down our throats. If this fiasco is not scuttled or drastically modified, God help you if you need medical care.

Here is Investor's Business Daily's take on the California crisis:

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysi ... Revolt.htm?

plus:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB1 ... DEyWj.html
Goofycat
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:56 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Postby prototype4 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Goof my man, I understand your feelings, yet I feel you are unduly pessimistic. Financial inertia has its' own 'physics' which cannot be denied. The bill is coming due. Know-it-all contrivers see this and feel the strong need to find compulsory donors, so as to maintain the only way of life they have known. That being, \"They get the discretion to spend. you get the bill\". The power to deny, or affirm, this arrangement is actually in the voters hands. For the Spendocrats' (or Replutocans) sole recourse to turn the tables, the mark (err....the taxpayer 8-[ ) must despair and aquiese. Enslavement is endorsed by the would-be enslaver, and internalized by the self-enslaver. Surprisingly, it takes cooperation for the arrangement to be realized.
Runaway deficit spending is the central government addicts' drug of choice. JUST SAY NO ! to any financial mitigating ........and let the balance sheet do the heavy work [):] .
Time/demographics/finance/political will is on the taxpayers side [8D] , if they show the mettle.
Ohhhhhh........I'm a lumberjack and I'm OKAY,
User avatar
prototype4
Old Timer
Old Timer
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of California

Next

Return to Off Topic (formerly Flamers)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests