Anyone Hangglide?

Don your flame-proof suit and come on in! IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT THEN GET OUT!!!!
Post anything you wish within reason that is \"off-topic\" from a Spyder.

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Anyone Hangglide?

Postby SpyderMike » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:01 pm

The first flying machine I piloted was a hang glider back in 1975-1976 time frame when I was around 15. I always have good memories of it. It was a basic rogallo design used glider I paid $200 for. I taught myself to fly it as there were no instructors around. Flash forward 37 years and I was thinking more and more about trying it again. Technology has changed greatly and the sport is more organized and developed. Searching the web finds an instructor nearby and a very active paragliding and hang gliding community real close by. So I went for it and signed up for some lessons. On the first day, after a couple of hours on ground hndling and building up speed while developing control feel, I left the ground. The training system is safer and better than I imagined.

If anyone is even remotely considering this wonderful sport, I recommend giving it a try. Generally a 4-6 hour initial day of lessons is relatively inexpensive at around $125 and that includes use of the equipment. It is a bit physical at the beginning as you run down and walk back up a hill repeatadly, but the feeling of leaving the ground makes it all worthwhile and is hard to compare.

Anyone else into this sport?

Mike
l my b
SpyderMike
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Anyone Hangglide?

Postby DannyP » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:14 pm

I tried it at Kitty Hawk NC and enjoyed it very much. I have a local SW to NW hill, but haven't signed up yet. I live 20 minutes from Ellenville NY if you've heard of it. I like the sheer simplicity, lack of many powered craft rules, and freedom. Closest any of us will ever get to the life of a hawk! Today's equipment is awesome compared to ten years ago. Back in the seventies? Danger, Will Robinson!
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Anyone Hangglide?

Postby SpyderMike » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Ellenville - Hanggliding capital of the northeast? I checked it out and it looks like a real cool place to fly!

I really like the simplicity of HG...too many engines/mechanized contraptions in my life!

I am definitely going to keep training to see where it takes me.

I have a place near the backside of this site:

http://rvhpa.org/site-guide/woodrat/

There are a few others around here as well.

Yes, the glider i had back then probably had a 4:1 glide ratio...today's are more like double that and better. You gotta love technology!
l my b
SpyderMike
Old Timer
Old Timer

Return to Off Topic (formerly Flamers)