Transmission Strap

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Transmission Strap

Postby Armodilo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:11 am

Has anyone installed a transmission strap onto a Beck?

If so; can anyone share some photos of the install, I've read here that they need to be modified, but I'm not 100% on how to properly modify and install the front part and no clue where the back portion would even go. Any photos would go a long way.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
6153-2T.jpg.jpg
CB Performance Transmission Strap
6153-2T.jpg.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Beck Spyder #171 (2276cc)
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Transmission Strap

Postby DannyP » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 am

I don't think any of that will work for you. There are two straps in the picture, one goes all the way around the bellhousing. It may interfere with the frame underneath the engine/trans junction but I'm not sure.

The other one(trans mid-mount) is totally unusable on Spyders as we don't have frame horns to wrap around.

I don't know for certain, but I believe the older Becks used the same trans mount as an older Vintage. My old one came with a trans strap made in Greg's shop.

Basically, buy yourself a piece of 1" wide steel in 3/16" thickness and bend it around the trans, bolting to the top bolt of each transmission mount. I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures of the old setup. You'll have to clearance(narrow the strap) and add a gusset where the starter bulge is interfering, but it's fairly straightforward fabrication.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Transmission Strap

Postby Armodilo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks Danny,

I did some 'hack and slashing' on the mid mount and made it work (just removed the bottom part). Too bad the back one won't work, hopefully I won't need any extra reinforcement there.

I think I'm pretty much done with all my mods for the winter, now if it'll just get above freezing around here I can get her on the road!

Cheers,
Beck Spyder #171 (2276cc)
1963 Porsche 356B T6 S90
1969 VW Beetle
2007 Porsche Boxster S
Armodilo
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General