Starting issue....

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Starting issue....

Postby smonop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:55 am

In a previous thread I had issues with the distributor and electrical system which was solved by the well known Porsche guys at Provost motors, near me in NJ ( as you boys had recommended he added a resistor etc. solving the problem). Yesterday went to start it turns over but won’t start. Upon further inspection I noticed that I don’t hear the sound of the fuel pump engaging. I’ve checked all the connections everything seems to be in order. I replaced all of the fuses underneath the dash for poops and giggles. Thoughts? Bad fuel pump? Something I’m not considering?
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Re: Starting issue....

Postby DannyP » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:52 am

Bad ground or no power at the pump. If they check OK, the pump is probably bad.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby albaran » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:53 am

Danny's right. I just went through this. See if you can run a "hot" wire directly from the battery or a known live 12v source to the pump. This would eliminate any fuse/switch issues. Same on the ground side. Run a wire from the pump to a known ground. If it still doesn't run, then it is the pump. But my experience has been that electric pumps are usually very reliable.
albaran
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 am

So I ordered a new fuel pump from Greg at vintage since mine is now 12 years old. In the interim, I removed the existing pump and tested the live wire coming through the dash, my test probe lit up at least telling me I have power to the wire and which would seem to tell me the pump is the issue? As an aside is there an adequate replacement pump I could’ve gotten at my local AutoZone? My current set up runs an E8016S, which from Googling seems everyone and their grandmother makes and sells for anywhere from 30 to 50 bucks
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:08 am

I had that pump on my old Spyder. Flawless service for 11 years. I got it at Autozone but now they have a little square one(not a Facet though). But like you said, available almost anywhere.

On the new car I'm running a Carter rotary pump which is currently unavailable on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P60504-Li ... B000BZX92K

But is available here:

https://www.autoanything.com/fuel-syste ... gIADvD_BwE
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks Danny. I stopped by AutoZone they carry one that is cylindrical under the same model number, it’s just smaller in diameter as is the filter.
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Advanced Autoparts also sells a version under their name brand, Carquest. From what I surmise in looking at the part, they’re all the same thing branded under the company that chooses to sell it. Greg shipped me the one I ordered today, hopefully it solves the problem!
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:43 am

It should. Do you have good, clean fuel at the filter IN?

I don't have a shutoff there below the tank. I take a pair of needle nose vice-grips and slip 3/8" copper tubing over the jaws to make a ghetto-type hose clamp, shutting off flow. This works and doesn't crush the fuel hose. Good luck.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Return to Tech General