Dash wiring

Moderator: Larry Jowdy

Re: Dash wiring

Postby DannyP » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:21 am

The silver relay is the Hi-low dimmer relay. You should have 12 v at one or both of the red wires, but 12v at either the blue wire or white wire. The relay simply switches back and forth between the two. If you hold the dimmer switch(it's a button on turn stalk, right?), then you'll hear a click and both white and blue should temporarily have power until released. That is your flash to pass feature. I believe the relay is for a 68-70 Bug.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:49 pm

I’m confident that the relay isn’t getting power (the red wires do not light up the probe), neither do the white or blue wires so while I now doubt it’s blown I did order a new one. I had to replace the blinker relay a couple of years ago.

I don’t know about a dimmer switch on the stalk I’ll check when I get home today, however, I pull the turn signal stalk back to flash my headlights. BTW, my turn signal has power. : /

I’m going to recheck the probe on the light switch and see if there is power, I can’t remember. If not, I’m completely lost. On the plus side, my new light bulbs for the temp and oil are bright and shiny...
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:20 pm

So that's it then. No power in, no power out. The white and blue go to the headlights low and high, I'm very sure.

And yes, dimmer switch is usually on the turn stalk.

The headlight switch should give power to one of the red wires. The other red wire should be hot all the time for flash to pass.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby smonop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Update and correction.

Correction - Regarding the turn signal stalk, don’t know what I was thinking but I have a Vintage, so my high beam switch is a button under my dash (to flash to pass, etc), adjacent to my hood release. I don’t have a dimmer switch that I see on my turn signal switch. ??

Update - I removed the high/ low beam relay from their positions under the dash, there’s a big hole in it (photo below). I’m no expert but that seems abnormal... did the darn thing experience a blowout?

I also tested power to the light switch (photo below) there is zero with use of a probe at any of the terminals red or white. Also, I traced the wires, two red wires go from the light switch to the relay and one goes to the fuse box (that fuse / connection has power). Again the relay has zero power at any connection.

Does this mean the relay is indeed the source of my problem? I’m lost...
Attachments
36E98A6F-06E2-479A-9F90-F84943F3CA88.jpeg
3A9124A5-F399-4CA7-8046-590F478AECF2.jpeg
CC1528DC-A36F-4FBE-9851-4BF19E5FF36E.jpeg
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 am

I believe Vintage used to run the "always on flash to pass" wire from the keyswitch to the dimmer relay, maybe turn the key on? Mine was always hot, I think it was a ring terminal on the "power in" or battery wire of the keyswitch, so just a pass-through.

Flash to pass/dim under dash button is fine instead of turn stalk switch.

If the headlight switch has no power, but you have power on BOTH sides of the fuse, then the wire is probably fried. Did you check both sides of the fuse? Possibly just a blown fuse, it can happen very easily when you are messing around under the dash with metal bulbholders easily touching hot leads when you pull them out.....
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby DannyP » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 am

By the way, looks like 12v welded a hole in that dimmer switch. I can't decide if it's from the inside or outside though.

My old car had a lot of uncovered crimp terminals. Not a single one on the new car. I bought a crap-ton of Wurth terminals. They are worth it LOL.
2016 Vintage
DannyP
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Postby Ray550 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Found this diagram, hope it helps. Agree with Dannyp, most likely a blown fuse. Pull the fuse and see if the element inside is intact. Even if it looks good, replace with a new one and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then start probing. Unlikely you will blow the wire without blowing the fuse first.

To me, the hole looks like it was drilled. The edges on the left look too round to be welded. Can't be certain because the right side of the hole looks like it melted.

And disregard my last post. Not having seen a spyder before, I made some wrong assumptions about the wiring.
Attachments
dim_switch.jpg
Ray550

Postby smonop » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm

You boys hit the nail on the head I rechecked the fuses I found one that did not have power on the superior aspect of the fuse box - And of course it was the red hot wire. I didn’t realize that you had to check the superior and inferior aspect where the wires screw into the fuse box. 😱The relay arrived today so I replaced that as well. I now have lights. You guys are the best.

On the plus side I firmed up some of the connections underneath the dash which looked a little ratty and replaced worn out dash bulbs. Now on to why my car won’t start which I’m hoping is the fuel pump; awaiting its arrival. I have a thread on that I’m sure I’ll be asking for advice there. Thanks again fellas my membership money is well spent here!
smonop
$$Donating Member$$
$$Donating Member$$

Previous

Return to Non-Technical